“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Salcombe
devon
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

This Is just the most amazing hotel. I have just returned from a very relaxing mini break at this fabulous hotel. From the moment you pull up in your car, you are made to feel very welcome. The Staff could not do any more to make your stay a fabulous experience. Even the manager takes time to ask how your day is going and you are personally shown to your room where complimentary gin or sherry awaits you. The views from the rooms and terraces are breath taking and the facilities unrivalled. Just can't wait to get back here. Amazing.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank DevondumplingsDevon
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Firstly my sincere apologies for the delay in writing this response, thank you so much for your kind words and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Sutton Coldfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

As a regular ( up to 10 times a year ) visitor to Salcombe over the last 28 years it was with great and eager anticipation we went to check out the newly refurbished hotel on Easter Monday. On arrival in the reception area we were very impressed by the style and the quality of the refurbishment. Sadly from there on things just became more and more disappointing. Initially as we walked into the restaurant we were again impressed but as we turned to look at should have been a magnificent view of the estuary we found that over half the view was obscured by a flat roofed building with skylights and a number of soil pipes sticking up from it along with some sort of stainless steel and glass walkway. A number of the glass panels in this walkway were covered in seagull droppings !
Still determined to enjoy our visit we waited patiently to order our food which we thought would not take long as the restaurant was only about one third full. Again we were disappointed that we were not approached for some considerable time. Eventually we ordered a lunch of one smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel, a salcombe crab sandwich, a shared bowl of chips and two glasses of house Rose.
The order arrived reasonably quickly and my order of the bagel was very good with a reasonable quantity of salmon and cream cheese, however, my wife's crab sandwich (£9) contained barely any crab at all and looked more like it had been made crab paste. We waited to see if we anyone would come and check if the order was ok and we also failed to catch the eye of what few staff there were and we decided to just finish what we had got and make a note not to come back.
When we finally got the bill we did comment on the poor quality of the sandwich but were treated with indifference, I then looked at the bill was astonished to find it was for £37 the two glasses of being charged at £8.75 each. Had everything been as it should have we would have thought that it was a little pricey but given the poor view, service and food it was nothing short of outrageous.
If the management if this hotel are making such a poor effort at the beginning of their first season then they are going to find people voting with their feet very quickly.
A bad experience and a place to avoid.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank bobwhitaker
Firstly my sincere apologies for the delay in writing this response, thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. Please do email me personally on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk in order for me to address any further issues personally. Finally I do hope that you will visit the hotel again in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary at the hotel and it certainly lived up to expectation. Beth on reception was really helpful with a lovely welcoming attitude when we made the booking at the last minute.

Our room was outstanding. The photographs do not do justice to the interior of the hotel. We really liked the thoughtful touches with the NEXUS, Gin and binoculars to name but a few! The location of the hotel would rival anywhere in the world, and a balcony is a 'must'.

In contrast to one of the reviews, ours was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. The duvet was so fab, we will be buying a new one shortly!

Without exception every member of staff gave 'over and above' in terms of customer service, in a very friendly non-stuffy way.

I can see this hotel becoming a haunt for any future special occasions! Thank you to all the staff who made our time in Salcombe so special.

1 Thank 3baileys
Les Planches-pres-Arbois, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband booked this hotel as it had a Spa and were in the area to check out facilities for when we return in July for a birthday party, which we are hosting locally. Lovely greeting when we arrived. Left our luggage as room not ready and went into Salcombe to get some lunch. We came back at 15.00. Room ready but have lost our luggage? Confusion with names and rooms, and after much annoyance and 2 hours later our bags arrived in our upgraded room. This was lovely overlooking the water. Well appointed. We got ice and lemon on the first night but not the second. I was assuming that as it was still May and wet that the glass tops for the tables on the balcony had not been produced so nowhere to put your drink on the cane top!!!! Common areas very nicely decorated and comfortable. Breakfast was good. Staff trying to be very helpful, some were great, some were not. But overall, when they get the staffing levels sorted it will be great. I was very cross that I could not get a booking for 2 days in the Spa, but after complaining, the Spa manager came in on Saturday and I was able to have two treatments in an hour which redeemed the service, in the end.

Room Tip: Sea View if best, but depends if you spending lots of time looking out to sea.
1 Thank Cheflizzie
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was a one night stay for us and like other reviewers have mentioned the first impressions of the hotel are excellent with fantastic decor and great initial customer service.
We opted for a balcony room overlooking the estuary which was small but the view was great. There appear to be some drainage problems on the balconies themselves with standing water but nevertheless this was fine.
As others have commented the lighting is ridiculous in the bedrooms and doesnt appear to work properly whilst the shower/bath combinations also had us foxed for a while. In addition the temperature in the whole hotel seemed very high and our room was stifling.
The worse thing about our stay was the bed unfortunately. A very soft mattress meant that we literally rolled out of bed as soon as we moved towards the side so a good night's sleep was not had by either of us.
We didn't have an evening meal but judging by the breakfast which was average, we probably made the right decision.
Would we return? It is a shame to say that we probably won't go back even though we had planned to spend a considerable time in Salcombe over the next few months. The thought alone of another terrible nights sleep is I think enough to put us off.

Room Tip: Go for an estuary facing room - I cant see the point of any other!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Simon D
Ferndown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

From the moment we arrived and our car was valet parked to the time we left this hotel scored highly in every way. The staff were all very professional but at the same time friendly, polite and very customer focused. The room was well proportioned, beautifully designed and very well appointed. The bathroom had a bath and a separate shower cubicle and everything worked! It is in a lovely location and our stay represented very good value for money for a prime location hotel of this standard. Dinner was good and we particularly liked the "catch of the day" menu. We will definitely be back.

Plymouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

On checking in, we were greeted by a nice, friendly lady who made us feel welcome. She took our details and escorted us to our room. It was one of the last rooms available so not the biggest, but adequate and with a balcony. A large bed, wall mounted TV and fairly well-stocked mini-bar.
Unfortunately, this is where we started to have problems.
Although it was only May, it had been quite a warm day and the room was like an oven - probably because the radiator and heated towel rail were on full whack. With no air-con, it left the room far too hot.
On the TV, a few of the channels weren't working.
The glass table-top was covered in fingerprints.
And the biggest issue for me? It may sound minor, but unacceptable in a nice hotel was finding several hairs in and around the bath as well as pubic hairs on the blanket folded up at the foot of the bed.

There were nice touches to the room as others have mentioned such as binoculars, blankets, slippers and complimentary gin and sherry to enjoy on the balcony.

Breakfast was ok. We were waiting a long time to be served and, as we'd come down close to 10:30 which is when breakfast is served until, we found that the pastries had all gone as had almost all flavours of fruit juice. Many tables had dirty crockery left on them for the whole time we were there and the waiter did have a touch of "Manuel" about him.

On checking out, we mentioned these issues and did get an apology, but sadly nothing more. Our drinks from the bar the previous evening could've been paid for, or the soft drinks from the mini-bar, but no. They were on the bill.
I'd have tried this hotel again if a little compensation were offered when we checked out as I did like it, but sadly we won't be visiting again as it's left a bit of a bad taste.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Craigyb85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salcombe
Soar Mill Cove Hotel
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
Royal Castle Hotel
Royal Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dartmouth

Been to Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!