“Fantastic ”

Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$10 - US$34
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Victoria Inn has been run by Tim & Liz Hore since 2008. We pride ourselves on being a 'Traditional Pub, with Traditional Values'. It has this year (2014) been awarded the Taste of the West Gold Award - awarded for locality of produce used, ambiance and high standards of service. We are the only pub in the South Hams to hold this prestigious award. National finalists In Licensee of the Year, finalists in Devon Life Family Friendly Dining Establishment as well as previous Fish & Chip award finalists. We welcome children with their own menu selection of home cooked food and dogs with their own Al a Bark menu! Bookings to eat with us are advised as we get extremely busy and hate to disappoint customers.
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited the Victoria inn on Sunday it was our first visit and we were both really impressed the food was gorgeous and beautifully presented. The pub was lovely and cosy and the staff were very welcoming and helpful, we will certainly be returning! It's great to find such a fantastic pub that serves food all day and that welcomes dogs!
5 star rating all round!

hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Angie4Simon

Well we very much hope that your visit will be just as you say - the start of many more! We are delighted you enjoyed your visit on that Sunday and that you rated us so highly.

We very much look forward to seeing you here again very soon,

Liz Hore - Licensee

Write a ReviewReviews (1,657)

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Popped in for a pub lunch as the labrador fancied some pork scratchings! Lovely real fire & as always a warm welcome. Nice pints of Proper Job & good home cooked food, this was probably our 5th or 6th visit & we will certainly be back.

hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear PJ777

How kind of you to take the time to write your review and we are all delighted you enjoy your visits to our great pub. We're glad you enjoy the home cooked food and our Cask Marque ales, but we are also pleased to welcome your dog!

We are having a major re-furbishment in January where we will be shut from the 6th January for about three weeks, and I have today been and bought some lovely dog blankets, new bowls and a couple of dog towels!! We'll make them even more comfortable!!

We very much look forward to seeing you again shortly,

We look for

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Having been visiting Salcombe for 13 years now, I feel I can write about the Victoria with some authority.

My early memories of the Victoria were of a pub that was 'okay' and 'ticking over' but nothing particularly special. It was somewhere that you might call into, but not somewhere that you would necessarily go out of your way to visit.

Then Tim and Liz arrived and oh my, what a transformation has taken place! Over the last few years, since they took over the reins, the Victoria is a pub that has gone from strength to strength.

It never ceases to amaze me the effort that Liz puts in to constantly strive to be better and better and each time we go back there is always something else that has changed for the better.

We were back in Salcombe again this summer and visited the Victoria four or five times during our week there. Sometimes it was just for a drink after a day on the beach at East Portlemouth, with the play area, chickens and budgerigars proving a real attraction for the children. On another we had a big family meal one evening towards the end of our holiday. On that occasion, it was a joy to see that suggestions we had made to the lovely Glo about childrens' desserts during our Easter visit had been taken on board. You can't beat a choice of ice-creams for young children and there they were - on the menu!

I love visiting the Victoria and so do the rest of my family. I could happily sit there all day gently supping on a pint of Proper Job - in the garden during the summer or in front of the lovely open fire during the winter. I also love the passion that Tim and Liz show for their business and enjoy following the Victoria's Facebook page which helps me keep up to date with what is going on - and makes me hungry for my next trip back to Salcombe. Only five months to go!

hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Peter L

There are times when thank you is not enough and this is one of them. Your eloquent and well thought out review was amazing and your words touched me and delighted our team! We are so glad you enjoy what we do and how we do it and appreciate the hard work and huge amount of effort that goes into making our pub great!

When you come back next year, you will return to a re-furbished and even more beautiful Victoria Inn - you can keep in touch with the progress on our Face Book page which I know you enjoy,

Thank you once again from all of us and we look forward to welcoming you next year,

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Returning to The Victoria Inn is like popping your favourite slippers on at the end of a long day! As always, a lovely welcome from Liz. We enjoyed a delicious lunch of bass filletts and pumpkin and garlic soup, yummy, we nestled in the corner next to the fire on a rather wet and gloomy day in Salcombe, perfect, who could wish for more other than it was our local!! Thank you to Liz and staff for a lovely lunch. We'll be back!!

hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Oxfordshiredolly

Thank you so much for your fantastic review, we are all delighted you enjoyed your visit to our great pub! I have to say I thought the pumpkin & garlic soup was an absolute winner - its so lovely when our Chefs get all creative with seasonal flavours!

Do come back and see us again soon won't you?

Reviewed 10 November 2013

what a lovely pub with really friendly and helpful staff.
we pitched up after a long journey and met up with other family members and couldnt hve been more welcomed and our dogs received a treat each to!! good beer and just like relaxing in your favourite living room with fireplace and comfy chairs!

hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear DavidL

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review and we are all absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your visit to us - particularly as it would seem to have been a family affair! We are especially pleased that you enjoyed our hospitality and the comfort of our lovely pub.

We hope it won't be to long before you make a return visit,