“Come here for the 'wow' factor!”
Review of The Victoria Inn

The Victoria Inn
Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Victoria Inn has been run by Tim & Liz Hore since 2008. We pride ourselves on being a 'Traditional Pub, with Traditional Values'. It has this year (2014) been awarded the Taste of the West Gold Award - awarded for locality of produce used, ambiance and high standards of service. We are the only pub in the South Hams to hold this prestigious award. National finalists In Licensee of the Year, finalists in Devon Life Family Friendly Dining Establishment as well as previous Fish & Chip award finalists. We welcome children with their own menu selection of home cooked food and dogs with their own Al a Bark menu! Bookings to eat with us are advised as we get extremely busy and hate to disappoint customers.
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The Victoria Inn has always been excellent and a thoroughly nice place to wine and dine, but wait until you visit the NEW Victoria Inn! My family and I went for a meal on Tuesday night and we were blown away by both the food and the pub, and my dog died and went to doggy heaven when she saw that there was even a dog menu especially for canine customers!

The new alterations that Tim and Liz have done are simply stunning. You can still see that it is still The Victoria Inn that everybody knows and loves and that unique charm still remains, however, a whole new life has been opened up for the pub. A stylish staircase (which looks so great it looks as if it's always been there) brings the upstairs and downstairs together, with french doors onto the garden at the top of staircase, which also brings the garden into the pub with a lovely beam of daylight. The different kinds of wallpaper are so eye-catching and are beautiful, just like everything in The Vic! The 'new' pub is fresh, carefully thought out, tasteful and just simply stunning.

The food that we had was absolutely top-notch! To start, we tried The Victoria's brand new sharing platter option, where you can choose various small dishes to share. Alternatively, you could always order a couple of these to yourself if you were just wanting a snack. We ordered the Po-Boy Shrimps with Chilli Sauce; I don't normally do this as I don't think it's particularly fair to compare neighbouring restaurants like this, but I was sceptical about ordering po-boy shrimps as I've ate them down the road at The Winking Prawn for years and all I have ever seemed to get is hard, chewy balls of batter. But, this proved to not be the case at The Victoria! They were big and juicy and there was most definitely a shrimp in the middle, they were fantastic and were a million times better than TWP. We also had some spicy potatoes with chorizio, which were also fantastic. Our table also had 2 more starters; Scallops with Chorizio and Cauliflower Puree and Crab Bisque; the scallops were fantastically fresh, and the bisque was just as it should be, wonderfully fishy!

For the main course, I had not a beef burger, but a boar burger; again, I wasn't sure if I was going to like boar, but I like to take risks and try new foods. I can now not wait to have another boar burger! It had so much more flavour than a beef burger, extremely yummy, especially as it was topped with chorizio; boar and chorizio work extremely well with one another! I will admit, I can't tell you what the other people at the table were eating as I was too busy enjoying my boar burger! But all the food was of excellent quality, cooked well, extremely tasty and miles ahead of your average pub meal.

I wish I had time/the space for a pudding, but unfortunately our taxi was waiting outside and because of the extremely generous portions, I virtually could not move! However, The Victoria Inn Millionaire Shortbread did sound amazing and I just hope that it is still on the menu when I return!

A massive congratulations to Tim, Liz and the team for transforming what was a wonderful pub into a even more wonderful pub with a whole new angle to it, and for continuing to deliver such an amazing and unique customer experience in the heart of Salcombe whether you're young, old or have 4 legs and a tail!

1  Thank LE94
hampshirelillibet, licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear LE94

Well, my goodness! What can I say in response to your amazing review other than thank you so very much. Ourselves and the whole team are blown away by your incredible comments and we are so pleased that you liked all we have had done to our (and yours) Victoria.

We knew the re-furb would make the Vic even better, but even we weren't ready for the incredible response we have had. Already, prime tables are being booked weeks in advance, and customers are also loving the newer menu with the 'nibbles' choices.

Thank you so much once again for taking the time to write such a glowing review and we hope you will come back to our little bit of heaven very soon,

Liz Hore - Licensee and all the Team at the Victoria

Write a ReviewReviews (1,670)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I have eaten here twice this week. One with my husband and then with my daughter and Mum. The food is good but a little more choice would be good for me (I am a bit fussy). I am not a red meat or shellfish fan so struggled to choose something on my second visit. On my first visit I had the vegetable and blue cheese bubble and squeak which I would recommend. On my second I went for the lemon sole (but asked for it without crayfish which the staff were very happy to accommodate) but then it was very plain with potatoes. A little disappointing. Had the same desert on both occasion the Victoria millionaire shortbread. Served in a small cup, just a perfect size for a sneaky treat (my husband said the tiramisu was also fantastic).The staff were great and the atmosphere was also very good. If you're looking for somewhere to eat in Salcombe, I would definitely recommend here.

1  Thank issiewhizzie
hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Izzywhizzie

Thank you for having taken the time to write your review of our great pub, and I am pleased we were able to accommodate your menu request. We plan to re-visit our menu's again after Easter when we can see what has worked and where any adjustments need to be made.

We all hope you will visit us again in the not too distant future and we appreciate your feedback,

Liz Hore and all the Team at the Victoria Inn

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Another excellent meal at the Victoria. Great service and warm, vibrant atmosphere. The beer (Tribute) is worth a visit alone. Highly recommended.

hampshirelillibet, licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear 2mullion

How lovely to have been able to have looked after you once again - and my Husband is very pleased with your comments regarding the beer..................

So very glad that you found everything to be up to the usual high standards and we look forward to having you visit us again soon,

Liz Hore - Licensee

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Me and my partner had an excellent lunch at the Victoria Inn last weekend. The food was very good and my partners meal from the specials was 'one of the best meals she's ever had.'
The pub was modern, warm welcoming atmosphere and staff to match. Starters, mains and drinks came to £40, and this was good value for money compared to other eateries in Salcombe.
Only comment is that it was cold inside and I had to keep my coat on, however it was bitter outside so understandable.

hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear JakeR

So pleased to read how much you enjoyed your visit to the newly refurbished Victoria Inn, and please let me apologise for if you were not as warm as you would have liked to have been. We have had one or two issues with our heating and the creation of this new space, but I think we've got it right now! Very pleased you thought your meal was good value for money - we do try very hard in that area to get it right.

We look forward to welcoming you here again one day,

Kindest regards

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just had the most delicious meal at the Victoria Inn; pub has recently been refurbished and it is a total credit to the landlord/landlady! Extremely friendly staff, some of which sat down to have a chat with us, family and pet friendly and even offered the dogs warm blankets and doggie treats. A must to pop in and have a drink at this pub when in Salcombe. You won't regret it. Thank you guys!

hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear TaraH

We are delighted that whilst here on holiday you came in and ate with us, and that you so thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We are extremely happy with the refurbishment of the Victoria Inn and delighted with our customers reactions to it.

We very much hope you will come back to Salcombe again and we would love to welcome you here,

Liz Hore - Licensee