“Mostly good, nice atmosphere”
Review of The Victoria Inn

The Victoria Inn
Ranked #1 of 38 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Victoria Inn has been run by Tim & Liz Hore since 2008. We pride ourselves on being a 'Traditional Pub, with Traditional Values'. It has this year (2014) been awarded the Taste of the West Gold Award - awarded for locality of produce used, ambiance and high standards of service. We are the only pub in the South Hams to hold this prestigious award. National finalists In Licensee of the Year, finalists in Devon Life Family Friendly Dining Establishment as well as previous Fish & Chip award finalists. We welcome children with their own menu selection of home cooked food and dogs with their own Al a Bark menu! Bookings to eat with us are advised as we get extremely busy and hate to disappoint customers.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Mostly good, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went in for a drink and decided that the atmosphere and decor (especially upstairs) were so nice that we would stay for dinner. Trying to book a table (we had family joining us) seemed to cause some consternation and took three members of staff to offer an opinion on whether we could or not, but eventually we were accommodated on a nice table upstairs.
Most members of our party were really happy with their meals - especially those that had the curry. It was very well presented too.
I have to admit that, if it was down to me alone, the review would likely be only 'average'. Not for the atmosphere or service, which were fabulous, but because I'm vegetarian. There weren't that many options available and the one I had was a really small portion - so small that the others at the table actually commented on it. It was veggie and blue cheese bubble and squeak with an egg and a cider sauce. It tasted lovely but was really more of a side dish than a main. When I looked at what everyone else got for their money, substantial portions of equally good food, I felt quite disappointed.
This disappointment was mostly made up for by the delicious sticky toffee pudding and clotted cream - which was a huge portion and very nice indeed. There was also a nice range of ales.
So all in all, it was very good. Maybe if I'd ordered differently I'd even have said 'excellent' because the place is really lovely. But I do have to say that we didn't go back during the week due to the limited options for me and relative expense.

• Visited July 2014
hampshirelillibet, licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear RebeccaB

My heart beats with trepidation when I see a title to a review such as yours - but on the whole it seems like you really enjoyed your visit to us.

I'd just like to clarify a couple of points - the reason we may have been very careful when accepting your booking is that due to the amazing refurbishment that we had in January, we have seen trade shoot through the roof and as summer is always busy anyway, the last thing we wanted to happen this year was to let our guests down by being TOO busy and unable to make the experience a great one! It would seem by what you've said you were about a party of 6 and therefore less experienced staff would have been gauging opinion - for which I heartily commend them - the training has worked!

As for the vgetarian option - we currently have two great options at the moment - that being the Bubble & Squeak that you had, and also an Asparagus and Mushroom Lasagne. Both freshly cooked by our Chefs and both at £11. We also offer a whole melted creamy Camembert at £8.

I can truthfully say that yours is the first complaint I believe (?) we've had - as generally we receive applause for the Bubble & Squeak. However, we take all feedback very seriously and I immediately went to the kitchen to re-assure myself that we hadn't suddenly veered away from the lovely dish it normally is. It hasn't - phew! I may well offer additional vegetables with it for the remainder of the season - but as I sit here grappling with Autumn menu's, I'd really love to know what your favourite veg option would be?? Please fell free to contact me on:
info@victoriainn-salcombe.co.uk

Aside from that, I'm delighted all other parts of the meal were enjoyed - especially my Husbands Sticky Toffee (£5.50) pud recipe with Devon Clotted Cream - rather scrumptious isn't it...........??

I do hope you'll come and visit us again in the future,

Liz Hore - Licensee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sheffield
“Good lunch.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Sometimes when you don't know a town well it can be difficult to find somewhere good for lunch. Whilst in Salcombe we were faced with much choice and plumped for the Victoria. It was a great place for lunch. Cold glasses of wine, lots of choice on the menu and plenty of seating both inside and out made this a good experience. The food was fab, my ham platter was lovely. There was a good children's play area too.

hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear CalChris

How very kind of you to take the time to write such a lovely review and I LOVE the photo of the Ham ploughmans! We very much hope that now you've found us you'll come back and visit again on another day.

Very warmest wishes

Liz & Tim Hore, Licensees and all the Victoria Inn team.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Great food and hospitality”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Really enjoyable dinner and pets welcome which is a bonus. The whole family enjoyed the main courses however not much choice for deserts

Visited August 2014
hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Boden-mummy

Thank you so much for your review, and we are delighted that on the whole you enjoyed your visit to us. I'm sorry if you felt there was not enouigh choice of desserts - we have 4 homemade desserts on our menu at £5.50, and I can only assume that we had run out of 1 due to the high volume of numbers we are currently working with. I'm sorry if that was the case.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on another occasion,

Liz & Tim Hore, Licensees and all the Victoria Inn team
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

While the tale end of hurricane Bertha blew through I was stuck in Salcombe with my boat. After a quick recce. of the three pubs chose this one to eat in, What a pleasant surprise, the place was clean and in good order, the staff were attentive including the Landlady who worked her way around the tables with the odd word to her staff. The food overall was excellent, Hake first nite, Battered Monkfish second nite not quite as good. Good choice of real ales and wine. Whilst under present ownership would definitely recommend.

• Visited August 2014
hampshirelillibet, licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear pgs_13

Thank you for your review and we are delighted we were able to offer you refreshment during your enforced stay in port.

We are all very pleased you enjoyed your visits to us and can assure you that we are going nowhere for the foreseeable future..................

Liz & Tim Hore, Licensees and all the Victoria Inn team
“There's some creative brains at work here!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Walked in for lunch and the place immediately felt right. We went up the stairs just to the left of the entrance into the garden which, considering the size of Salcombe, is huge! Orders are taken downstairs at the relatively small bar and considering it was tourist season, expect a bit of a crowd. The wait is well worth it however, the Ham Ploughman we ordered was absolutely stunning so much so that we asked where the ham came from. The wonderfully friendly staff informed us they make all of it themselves. At around about 15:00 o'clock the garden started filling up with strollers for what turned out to be story telling time. Well away from the patio on a small lawn a man in a safari suit would do his thing for the small people whilst mums and dads consumed at leisure.
The creativity came in all sorts of ways, spectacles on the bar with a note saying "use ours if you forgot yours", doggy blankets, and baskets of games. Have a read through all the notes posted behind the bar. A great place with the right atmosphere, service and style! Loved it!

Visited August 2014
hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear RobertM

I can't tell you what a boost this review has given all of us!! We are roughly mid-season and we are as busy as ever - seemingly running round 24 hours a day trying to fulfill the needs of so many guests. Therefore to receive a review like this has really lifted all of us and our tired legs and heads!

We're delighted you enjoyed your visit and thank you so much for acknowledging the things we do that make us so succesful. We hope you will come back and visit again and enjoy our hospitality all over again,

Very warmest wishes