“Very popular with us and our guests”
Review of The Victoria Inn

The Victoria Inn
Ranked #1 of 38 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Victoria Inn has been run by Tim & Liz Hore since 2008. We pride ourselves on being a 'Traditional Pub, with Traditional Values'. It has this year (2014) been awarded the Taste of the West Gold Award - awarded for locality of produce used, ambiance and high standards of service. We are the only pub in the South Hams to hold this prestigious award. National finalists In Licensee of the Year, finalists in Devon Life Family Friendly Dining Establishment as well as previous Fish & Chip award finalists. We welcome children with their own menu selection of home cooked food and dogs with their own Al a Bark menu! Bookings to eat with us are advised as we get extremely busy and hate to disappoint customers.
salcombe devon
“Very popular with us and our guests”
Reviewed 6 August 2010

As a bed and breakfast proprietor in Salcombe I would thoroughly recommend this pub to any visitor. We enjoy the visits and our guests sometimes go every night of their stay. There are bound to be some issues on meals not being what exactly visitors wish for but overall this establishment gives great attention to detail and has spent many months planning and refurbishing, along with hard graft. At the height of the summer holidays there are bound to be more children and dogs but that is what the average family come with. If you want a quieter visit come before July or after August and you will see a completely different side to Salcombe.

1 Thank nolaSalcombeDevon
hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2010
Thank you Nola for your review - we try our hardest to please everyone, but that can't always be the case I agree. We have recently been reviewed by a professional critic and she called us the 'best pub in Salcombe', so I can live with that!

Kindest regards

Liz Hore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Wodehouse90 review - Utter rubbish”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

The review by Wodehouse90 was utter rubbish. I am not usually driven to commenting online, but I felt I could not let the review submitted by the above pass.

It was cowardly and dishonourable. Cowardly because it is easy to appoint oneself as an expert and to be nasty and bitter whilst hiding behind the unaccountability of an internet pseudonym, and dishonourable because many elements lacked truth or integrity. And I found the personal attack on the landlady extremely offensive.

As someone who has worked in the pub trade for many years (a licensee for some of those), and someone who has visited The Victoria Inn several times (and enjoyed every visit) I can state thet the review submitted by Wodehouse90 could not be furher from the truth. Yes, there are children and dogs. It is, after all, a family pub in a very popular tourist destination. Yes there are chickens, in an enclosure, in the beer garden. They provide fresh eggs for the pub and are a point of interest for visitors (well, most visitors). And, yes the landlady is a bubbly, ebullient and engaging character who tries to ensure that visitors to the pub have an enjoyable stay.

Whenever I have visited The Victoria Inn it has always been busy - surely this is a good sign. I have always found the atmosphere warm, vibrant and charming, the staff friendly and attentive. the decor traditional, cosy and comfortable.

As a previous publican, I was treated to a look 'behind the scenes' during my last visit. I can state quite catagorically that the food served at The Victoria Inn is anything but mass produced. It is fresh, home cooked, and delicious. I have watched the chef in action myself and was extremely envious of the fact that I had been unable to find someone as committed and talented for my own establishment whilst I was a publican.

I don't know which 'Victoria Inn, Salcombe Wodehouse90 visited but it is not one that I recognise.

2 Thank MAGSO21
hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2010
Thank you very much for your response to the review on here by 'Wodehouse'. I have been extremely heartened by the reponses I've received - and not just those on here either, and all of them have been in a similar vein to yours.

As one contact said - I'll just keep on keeping on!!

Liz Hore - Licensee
Salcombe
“The above person is talking rubbish...”
Reviewed 26 July 2010

The Victoria (Burners to the locals) has filled a big gap in the Salcombe market, namely providing for families, hence the chickens, play area etc...if you have kids they will absolutely love this place! Liz the landlady is a star and the place is regularly packed during peak times.

The summer BBQ is excellent value and again the kids will love it.

To top it all the beer garden is about the only place in Salcombe that gets the evening sun! So as parents you can enjoy a cold beer and relax safe in the knowledge your kids are enjoying themselves and won't come to any harm.

You don't go to this place expecting Gordon Ramsey style food, just good simple pub food.

1 Thank OOdevon
hampshirelillibet, Licensee at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, 28 July 2010
Dear Sir / Madam
Thank you so much for your review and taking the time to answer an incredibly poor review. Your comments certainly lifted me! Please keep on enjoying the Victoria Inn and our Garden.............
Liz Hore - Licensee
London, United Kingdom
“Dire. Ghastly over friendly landlady, service station tables and chairs and poor quality re-heated pub food.”
Reviewed 24 July 2010

If you enjoy sharing your meal with the smells of wet dogs and chickens and accompanied by screaming children then this is the place for you. Awful over friendly and intrusive landlady has spoilt what was once a great, traditional, fishing village pub.
The decor is now of the typical bland pub chain type where terrible tables and chairs have now appeared in the restaurant upstairs. The landlady comes from Portsmouth local government so that will give an indication of the quality to expect when it comes to decor and food. Overpriced and mass produced food that had clearly been re-heated, in the case of the lamb and vegetables many times, is being passed off as some sort of new gourmet experience. Is it necessary to plonk frozen oven-chips on everything? Mind you, they obviously came from the same supermarket freezer cabinet as the puddings. Avoid anything on the menu that contains the words "scrummy" or "yummy" - yes it is that sort of place. Slow service and staff who have obviously been trained to smile but who are pretty clue-less at explaining either the food on offer, other than "It comes with chips", or the wine list, other than to point to the most expensive one rather desperately. Great shame as this used to be a great pub in the old days when it was run as a pub and not as some sort of theme park for the masses. Avoid at all costs.

3 Thank Wodehouse9
Dear Sir / Madam
I was appalled at the tone of your review and the personal attack on myself and my background & whether you felt this was an authentic review or not - the onslaught on myself was unjustified.

That said - I would like to answer some of the points you have raised:
> Yes - I am a voluble, happy and energitic individual. I try to ensure that customers in our pub have a great time and I try to talk to as many customers as possible - delivering great customer service is hugely important to me
> The decor in the upstairs restaurant was overseen by a professional designer and was paid for by us as individuals - not as a typical bland pub chain as you say. Indeed the vast majority of the pub's winter 'make over' was paid for by ourselves
> All of our food is locally sourced where possible and made in our kitchen - absolutely nothing is bought in except for the Squid, Bread & Ice Cream. I pass nothing off as a 'Gourmet Experience' - we pride ourselves on creating good traditional 'pub grub'
> ALL of our desserts except the Ice cream are made by my Chef's
> Yes - our Veg is pre-cooked and re-heated - but that is nothing out of the ordinary for catering establishments, and doing over 200 covers in the height of summer would make anything else but that method of working impossible.
> My staff ARE highly trained and we are incredibly proud of each and everyone of them
> Our garden HAS got Chickens in and we LOVE having dogs and children in that enjoy our garden - the Victoria Inn is a family pub.

Lastly Sir / Madam - we were immensly proud to be in the Guardians Top 200 Summer Pubs in 2009, we serve a huge amount of customers every day with many coming back to us time and time and time again - many of whom I value as firends now.

We are very proud of the Victoria Inn and I'm sorry if you did not enjoy your experience with us - I would not expect you to retuen.