“Short break in Salcombe”
Review of Ria View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salcombe
Ria View
Ranked #7 of 21 Salcombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We booked for 3 nights at Ria View and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The property has the most amazing views of the harbour and by opting for one of the front bedrooms, you can enjoy the view from a lovely window seat. The bedroom was very comfortable and it was useful to have a small fridge for the fresh milk provided for tea and coffee.. The only thing missing was a mirror in the bedroom for hair drying etc. The ensuite is compact but well designed. The cooked breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and we enjoyed meeting our fellow guests around the communal table - very sociable . Ria View is very conveniently situated as it is only a short walk to the high street but the climb is steep coming back but good for walking off your dinner! Salcombe is a lovely part of Devon and we felt as if we had somehow stepped back in time in this delightful, unspoilt village.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a room at the front as the views are spectacular
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue L
There are newer reviews for Ria View

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We agree with the "Mixed Feelings" review. We were greeted somewhat coldly when we did a pre-visit to confirm our stay, the owner was in a rush and couldn't find our reservation at first even though we had put a down payment for the room. On Day 1 we requested tray for ice in the fridge. It was not provided to us until day 2 in which case it was provided by the lady taking over the B&B temporarily. We also had to request more coffee as the coffee jar was almost empty. As for removing shoes, I could not believe it, I would never even expect people to remove their shoes in my own house. I don't want my bare feet all over floors where other peoples bare feet have been so I did not remove my shoes and hopefully that is not the reason we were treated coldly. The owners went off the next day for 2 weeks, without a simple "thanks for coming or enjoy your stay", in fact, we did not know they were leaving until they came out with suitcases. This actually turned out to be for the best because a lovely lady called Deborah made our stay perfect. She could not do enough for us, provided fresh fruit along with our breakfasts and generally made us feel at home. She provided anything we asked for without question.Thank you Deborah! The rating below is based on Deborah's service.

Room Tip: Stay in a front room with a view and be prepared to remove your shoes.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
28  Thank Seahorse393
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I am afraid I do not agree with much of most previous reviews. Perhaps we caught them at an off time.
The overall impression from first rather perfunctory greeting to finish, including being glared at from feet upward (more later) was that the owners had probably had to reluctantly open up their house to B & B guests. There are three compact rooms. We slept in the back room with no view the first night and a front room with fantastic view over the ria the following 2 nights. They have managed to make the most of the small room size but it was a bit tight in the rear room squeezing between the bed to get into the shower/toilet cabinet. It would be difficult if you are very tall or overweight.

There is plenty of drawer and hanging space but little room to put things down. There was a small shelf in the shower cubicle area in the front room. There is a fridge which takes up quite a bit of room, a well stocked tray of drinks and biscuits. The front room view and bay window seat is fantastic.

Personally I found the beds too small and the front room bed rolled like a wave whenever you turned over waking you up. That together with thin curtains and bright early mornings in the front room, and noisy seagulls (to be expected) I had very little sleep during our stay.

Breakfast is ordered the night before from a typed list left out for you and taken in their kitchen around a communal table overlooking the fabulous view. There was plenty of food offered and soya milk was kindly provided for me. I do find tinned grapefruit segments rather than fresh or stewed fruits rather off putting though.

There is a deck area overlooking the estuary which guests may use but I personally found it off putting that written instructions in the room tell you to ask permission first.

Shoes: it would have been helpful on arrival for the owner to make it clear whether shoes were allowed in the house at all. Additionally give some warning on the website and on booking. There is a small slate sign at the bottom of the cream coloured carpeted stairs stating "please remove your choos". The carpet extends up the stairs to and in the bedrooms. At the base of the stairs and the downstairs area into the kitchen there is laminate wood flooring.
If you have several bits of luggage it is tricky to remove your shoes depending on fastening as you have to ascend several steep steps up to the parking area. I had assumed that a no shoe policy was in the carpeted area and wore my clean croc flip flops to breakfast. This resulted in the unpleasant greeting at breakfast which I only realised at the end of our stay was a shoe "faux pas" . So I apologise for this.

The premises is kept spotless by the hardworking shoeless cleaner.

You are paying for the view, close position into the centre a few minutes walk down the hill and parking which is rare in Salcombe.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
23  Thank Blueowl50
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We received a very warm welcome when staying at Ria View, bedroom was small but welcoming with tea, coffee and biscuit facilities in room along with a fridge. Beautiful location with stunning views and a lovely deck area to sit on anytime of the day with views over the harbour. Breakfast was superb and it was lovely to sit with the other residents round a large table to chat. Owners friendly and happy to give local advice on where to eat and places to go. We will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: we stayed in the rear bedroom which was small but still adequate and airy as it was very hot. Front...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alison B
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Its been a long time since I had a holiday in the UK and I have to say beautiful Salcombe took me by surprise. I stayed at Ria View and I am so glad I chose this lovely B & B. My room was very comfortable with an excellent shower en suite, TV, small fridge, tea/coffee and biscuits !! Although I had the double room with no sea view this did not deter in anyway from the comfort and experience of staying there. The hosts Bernice and Peter were lovely and very knowledgeable about the area. After a delicious cooked breakfast they were quite happy to let me sit on the deck in the sunshine and enjoy the fantastic view. Salcombe has lots of very upmarket shops, art galleries and restaurants all within a 5 minute walk from Ria View. I would not hesitate in recommending this B & B and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Deborah C
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Bernice and Peter run a delightful B &B .... The view from our room was sensational, the breakfast is wonderful with homemade bread and yoghurt plus all the usual cooked things... The location is ideal with an amazing deck and with only a short walk down to the centre of Salcombe and the waters edge... There is also parking which is a must and unusual in this town. If you are considering a break and have not been to Salcombe , book it ... It is the most beautiful charming place in the whole of the UK!!! I guarantee you will be delighted with the B&B and Salcombe .. If we can we will go back every year !!

Room Tip: Book early to secure room on the front
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

What a wonderful spot! The view from our bedroom, as indeed from the whole of the front of the house, was spectacular. Comfortable beds, ensuite bathroom, excellent breakfasts and friendly, relaxed, helpful hosts made our stay at Ria View one we certainly hope to repeat. The house is situated just a pleasant 5 minute stroll from the centre of Salcombe with all it's shops, pubs and restaurants and the best ice cream in Devon!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have the spectacular view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends