“Superb food and friendly service”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #21 of 39 Restaurants in Salcombe
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We've used the Kings Arms 3 times over the Easter weekend and have had exceptional quality and service. Called in with the family on Easter Saturday for a snack - The pizza's were among the best I've had, loaded with flavour on a thin base cooked brilliantly (not too crisp).
On Easter Sunday went in for Lunch and although tables were scarce we were found one which a friendly local gave up for us. The Sunday lunch was fantastic - beautifully cooked beef and a really good selection of veg, all piping hot. Even went back for another pizza on Sunday evening and it was just as good as the ones we had the day before.
Well done to the staff.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Ordered lunch at 13:33 hours today. I paid £17.60 for humous, olives and bread and my wife ordered a jacket potato with chilli. My father paid £20 for one soup and a sandwich and one sandwich on its own.

At 13:55 hours we had still not been served and we asked one young waitress how long the food was going to be. She said, and I quote "I don't really know".

At 14.05 hours I asked a different female member of staff how long the food was likely to be. She said she would find out and let us know. She returned a couple of minutes later and said it was just being plated up. We had been waiting 30 minutes at this point. Other people around us who had ordered far more complex meals after us had been served. At 14.15 hours there was still no sign of the food and I had to hang around at the till area to get the attention of a man who looked like he might know what he was doing.

I complained to this chap and he said he would find out where our food was. He was helpful but after a 45 minute wait I wasn't really in the mood for any food and I wanted a refund so we could get on with the rest of our day. The man assured us that the food wouldn't be long and asked us to please try to enjoy our lunch and that he was sure that when it arrived it would be very nice.

Well another couple of minutes passed and the food arrived and it really wasn't worth waiting for. My father's carrot and parsnip soup was bland and there was no brown bread option for the sandwiches. My humous and olives were ok but there was a tiny amount of bread. My wife's jacket potato and chilli was the best thing on the table but 45 minutes for a jacket potato with some chilli on it is unacceptable.

The man in charge did give my father a £10 refund and 5 chocolate mints which was a nice gesture but any good restaurant would have given us a full refund in the circumstances. The man offered me no refund at all despite my asking for it. This experience ruined our entire afternoon and after spending nearly £40 on food, I think the £10 back and 5 chocolate mints at the end was completely inadequate and actually rather insulting.

I'm sure this pub will continue to make a fortune from the numerous tourists that visit Salcombe but today they were completely disorganised, the kitchen was under-staffed and the front of house staff were poorly trained and lacked any awareness of what was happening in the restaurant. When we did complain, I feel that the response was inadequate and that the man in charge wasn't really listening and he didn't really want to know.

We will never eat at this place again and I would not recommend it to anyone.

3  Thank Paul B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We easily found a table and ordered. 50 minutes and several reminders later we were still waiting. Customers who entered after us had been served. When the food finally arrived it was nothing special and certainly overpriced. We were given a mere 25% refund for a most unpleasant experience.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Really good pizzas (and i hate pizza!?) I had a lovely 'Hot Pork Bap WITH crackling and the jackets are fresh and well filled. Beers are great. Recommended !

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The title refers to the Seafood Kasmiri Curry I had at the King's Arms. I was put off at first because I'm not a fan of prawns OR calamari, but when the staff told me that I can pretty much choose my own ingredients (the choice was prawns, calamari, cod and mussels) I went for the latter two.

I wish I had had my camera on me as when it arrived, it looked stunning, and it tasted even better than it looked and to be honest was one of the finest fish curries I have ever had the pleasure of eating.