“Perfect Location, Great Views, ideal home from...”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Matt D
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Perfect Location, Great Views, ideal home from home.”
Reviewed 1 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

My partner and I stayed at 'Ferrywatch' for a long weekend during the August Bank Holiday. The apartment is situated at the top of the high street above a men's clothing store via steps and passage way.

The Good
The apartment is spacious, it sleeps easy 9 people and there is plenty of room for dining, relaxing and sun worshipping.
We liked that it had everything we needed in order for this to be our home for the weekend, washing machine, drier, fridge, freezer and plenty of places to dry our damp clothes.
If it were my place, I think I'd swap out the cream carpet for something more 'user friendly' as it had clearly seen some incidents in its time and although it wasn't a bad thing, I think detracted from the overall look of the place..
If I were being picky, the sofa and chairs and chairs in the lounge had reached the end of their natural days and could benefit from being replaced or re-sprung, but other than that the comfort of the place was ideal.
We loved the decking area, plenty of room for alfresco dining, and if the weather was better, ideal for sunbathing and relaxing in a secluded area with no onlookers to worry about.
The location was a double edged sword, ideal for the town, places to eat, shopping, the ferry and pretty much everything related to a good holiday, the downside is that it's right at the top of the steps from the public house 'The Ferry Inn' and I had to lean out the window at 1.30am and ask a group of drunken lads to possibly go chat somewhere else.
Every night we had the same issue, if it was hot, you'd have the window open, if the window was open, expect noise and to not get much sleep until the early hours.

The Bad
As mentioned, the noise at night could be an issue for anyone that sleeps light, or has trouble with noise in general until the early hours of the morning.
The location was fine for us, normally once we are asleep, we are asleep but as mentioned, when you have people walking past at kicking out time, it can be an issue.
Getting in and out of the property again for us was fine, but I think that the steps to get into and up to the property were quite steep, not really suitable for disabled or the elderly, potentially a little slippery when wet but we didn't have an issue.
The thing that I struggled with in this apartment was the low door frames, I must have cracked my head half a dozen times in the morning or night when going to the toilet, but this would only be an issue if you're tall like me.

The Ugly
Now this isn't specifically about the apartment but it does have a huge impact on whether I'd book the apartment again or indeed ever go to Salcombe again....
CAR PARKING!!!!!!..... This is the most unfriendly car town I have ever visited outside of London or Oxford.... There is no car parking at the property and good luck ever finding a car park space outside of the Long Stay car park for more than 2-3 hours of car parking, with no return and no opportunity to extend your ticket.
The apartment sleeps 9/10 people, you'd expect a minimum of two - three cars... But unloading and loading your car is near on impossible based on the property being on the busy single lane one way high street with double yellow lines and no spaces to pull into to get your stuff in or out of your car.
The one way system is essential due to the width of the roads, I get that... But every car park space is a maximum stay of 2 hours... There is a short stay car park 10 minutes away that is a max stay of 3 hours and a long stay car park around 15-20 minutes away where you can park for 24 hours. We were forever moving the car as the short stay car park allowed over night parking from 6pm until 8am, but meant a dash to move the car at 8am to the short stay or long stay car park because we wanted easy / close access to the car and some of our stuff we didn't want to take with us to the apartment.

Overall
A nice place to visit, Salcombe was very dog friendly and the residents polite, chatty and helpful. The apartment is big enough for a large family, in an ideal location / part of the town, if you pack ear plugs for chucking out time.
The biggest problem with the location of the apartment and Salcombe in general is the car parking... And this is why I wouldn't go back to the location or apartment, I'd look for a place that had off street parking and didn't make the relaxing element traumatic by parking miles away or moving the car every few hours...

Shame really because it was a nice place in terms of location and the apartment in general.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location of the property
Liked least: Lack of parking, noisy at night
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Travelhap...
South East, UK
“Great location and fantastic property”
Reviewed 24 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015

FerryWatch is a great location, slap bang in the middle of Salcombe. The property is kept well and has everything you would need. Great outside terrace for when the weather behaves and you literally step out onto the main Fore street with all the shops and bars. Only slight issue is parking but this wasn't a major problem for us. Holiday company gave us some choices of where to park which worked fine so you would need to just unload stuff at the house and then go and park the car. All in all a very enjoyable break and Salcombe is just lovely.

Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing