“Friendly welcome with a very can do attitude, making you feel right at home!”
Review of No55

Ranked #7 of 38 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$13 - US$25
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Funky relaxing atmosphere with a modern twist to the decoration colours and fixtures, a welcome warm place to come and eat relax and have a good experience. Open for Dinner with well behaved dogs welcome...
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly welcome with a very can do attitude, making you feel right at home!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

From the moment we walked in, my husband and I were made to feel right at home. The only thing missing was a pipe and slippers for said husband! When offered the menu we found the food choices to be varied with a seasonal, fresh and up together vibe and the result in eating meet our expectations. Looking forward to our next visit very soon!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Ickle-ezza
cheryl19562009, Owner at No55, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Hi Ickle-ezza
What can I say pipe and slippers for your husband next time! not sure whether we are going to get into the B&B market just yet but you never know !!!!!!! We remember your visit so well and are over the moon with you wonderful comments. I do remember having a few glasses of wine with you and was not to clear whether I put them on your bill but next time its on you (cheeky!) it was fun and what we are all about at No55. We all are waiting patiently for you to visit us again, from Peter & Cheryl the owners and not least the staff who hold it all together and make it all possible a heart full thank you.

Amersham, United Kingdom
“welcoming restaurant”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We ate here on a Saturday night and were very impressed by the service. The food was freshly cooked and delicious without going overboard on amount of choice. Well done.

• Visited February 2014
cheryl19562009, Owner at No55, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Jant S
Many thanks for your wonderful comments they are so appreciated by us all. More so that you enjoyed the overall experience, at No55 its not just about the food its the whole package and we are so gratified that you also appreciated the experience. From Cheryl front of house and Peter the chef owners, and not least without all is not possible the fantastic team. We so look forwards to seeing you again in the not to distant future.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Very freindly and most accomodating”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed in Salcombe at the end of January and passed this restaurant every day noting that off season they only opened at the end of the week and the weekend. So after a week of fine pub food decided it was time for a change. They returned my voice mail and despite being very busy offered us an early table. The menu and specials offered attractive variety. I started with a parsnip soup which was excellent and followed with the Pheasant. It was good to see they also offered good west country beer. Only slight blemish was my partner received the wrong pudding but with 2 tarts on the menu confusion ensued. It was a fine gastronomic end to our stay.

• Visited January 2014
cheryl19562009, Owner at No55, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
A very heart felt thank you for your wonderful comments. From Cheryl Peter and the team its so gratifying to know that you were able to absorb the experience we have tried to create over the past year at No55 in Salcombe.We look forwards to seeing you again sooner than later, from all of us at No55 many many thanks.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Silver Wedding Anniversary”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My Wife and I are relatively frequent visitors to Salcombe which we enjoy immensely. I suggested to my Wife that we go to Salcombe to quietly celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary. She thought it a great idea but was blissfully unaware that I was arranging to get our four children (now adults) together in Salcombe for a surprise evening diner at No. 55.
I emailed the restaurant to check they were open on the required evening and Cheryl the owner confirmed by return that they indeed were.
I then emailed Cheryl to plan the surprise evening Anniversary Diner for my Wife.
Cheryl and Peter were fully onside and the plan was hatched.
On the evening our four children arrived in advance. My Wife and I arriving shortly after with her still totally unaware of what was in store.
Cheryl had set aside a table upstairs behind a partition so that when we entered the restaurant the children were totally out of sight.
Cheryl then took us upstairs to our ‘table for two’, showed us the table and as we rounded the corner she said ‘and these are your guests for the evening’. As ever my Wife screamed with surprise. It was quite an emotional moment and Cheryl was holding back the tears.
The table was decorated with silver and there was a beautiful card from Cheryl and Peter.
Champagne to the ready we commenced what was to be one of the most memorable evenings ever.
The Team at No. 55 were amazing and looked after us impeccably ensuring the success of celebrating the milestone in our married life would produce a memory to cherish.
The food, wines and service were fantastic.
All of us had a great time and were unanimous that the dining experience was excellent in every aspect.
I think the success at No. 55 is based on having a Menu which is not over ambitious but concentrating on presentation and quality. The same has to be said for the Wine List which focuses on quality wines suitable for most palates rather than a massive list of wines of questionable pedigree.
That said Cheryl, Peter and their team turn all this into a catalyst for a wonderful dining experience.
Can’t wait to go there again but no surprises next time.
My thanks go out to them all at No. 55.

• Visited January 2014
cheryl19562009, Owner at No55, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear 64romantic

I think you lived up to your name as above! we are all so pleased that we all pulled of the evening for you and more so for your dear wife. Its always been our intention to go the extra mile, with Cheryl at front of house is 100% focused on customer satisfaction and we are so pleased that we did it for all of you on this special occasion and your enjoyment of the food made for a really special memorable evening for you all.

We thank you so much for all the fantastic comments that you made.

From Cheryl, Peter and more so the team @ No55 Salcombe, we wish you all the best and we so look forwards to seeing you again soon.
Derbyshire
“Great Birthday”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Tried to book for what turned out to be a very busy August evening. Fully booked but they managed to squeeze us in by juggling things around and phoning us back. So glad they did. Daughters birthdays and they let us bring the cake in earlry and they brought it out at the end of the meal. The food and atmosphere was great. Some of the foos such as the calamari starter was obviously bought in and was identical to others we had seen in the area but the bulk of the food appeared to have been cooked in house and was great. Good range including pizza, pasta and seafood. Service good, not easy to achieve when it was so busy. Glad we came and will be back. Sadly as we left we saw a large empty table which had been laid in expectation of a party arriving who had not. I suspect this was a consequence of the appalling strategy adopted by some visitors to Salcome who book tables at a number of restaurants and then decide last minute which one they will go to. If you do this and are reading this THEN STOP, it's selfish and not fair on the restauranteurs and other customers who might want to eat there. We were lucky but might not have been.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Baszunia
cheryl19562009, Owner at No55, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Hi Baszunia
We all remember you well and are all over the moon that you enjoyed the overall experience with us. Booking tables and not turning up is what happens here its what all of us in this trade in Salcombe have to put up with during certain times of the year. But hopefully you will all be back again sooner than later! from Cheryl,Peter and the team we look forwards to seeing you and again many thanks for your kind words.