“A perfect experience on a rainy night in Salcombe”
Review of No55

Ranked #8 of 37 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$16 - US$46
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Funky relaxing atmosphere with a modern twist to the decoration colours and fixtures, a welcome warm place to come and eat relax and have a good experience. Open for both Lunch and Dinner with well behaved dogs welcome...
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
“A perfect experience on a rainy night in Salcombe”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Feeling a little weary after a very 'long weekend', working, I called at 55 just to see if they could fit me in as a single diner, without a prior booking.
I could not have been treated any better anywhere! There was a perfect small table free and I had a delightful meal and accepted the chef's recommendation for my main course of rib-eye steak. There was a pleasing and noticeable, pleasant atmosphere throughout all of my time there (about 90 minutes). The staff were lovely, courteous and considerate, and I was very pleased that the chef found a few minutes to come from his den to chat to me and other diners. Cheryl was attentive and always busy flitting from table to table.
It was a lovely and calming experience for me and I shall certainly look forward to my next visit.

• Visited May 2014
Hi Simmydog

Thank you so much for you excellent comments and we are so delighted that you went away feeling refreshed and relaxed from the hard week that you just had.

Cheryl front of house works so hard to make sure everyone of our guest enjoy the experience, but as I always say its not possible without the team that we have here @ No55.

We so look forwards to seeing you again soon all the best from Cheryl, Peter and all the team @ No55.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent - definately worth a visit”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Excellent food, lovely atmosphere and friendly staff. This is our new favorite place to eat in Salcombe, it definately deserves number one slot. One tip ... Book in advance .... so you are not disppointed. We will be back again and again im sure

Dear onlythebestwilldo25

Many thanks for you kind and honest words it means so much to us all here @ No55 we are so pleased that you enjoyed the overall experience.

We look so forwards to seeing you again and again.

Many thanks again from Cheryl, Peter and the team as all is not possible without them.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A Great Night”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

First I have to declare an interest in this review, I may appear bias as Pete the chef/owner and I trained as chefs together many years ago.
First impressions was of a warm friendly atmosphere, people chatting and the music at just the right level. The staff are amazing, attentive, courteous and very proffesional.
My party was of 6 guys who had all trained with Pete and mostly still working chefs, so no punches were going to be pulled on the standard of food, but we needn't have worried, the food was top drawer, hot, tasty and really well presented.
I can think of no higher praise than to say we were all proud of what Pete and Cheryl have acheived here and wish them continued success.
Well till the next time, thanks for a brilliant night. Shame we missed you at breakfast Pete lol

1 Thank philoxford1
philoxford1

It was great to see everyone after such a long time.

A very special thank you to you for your great comments, it makes it all worth while and even more so important from a fellow caterer.

We will enjoy the experience again soon, so from myself my wife Cheryl and all the team who are all part of the experience thanks again.
Headley, United Kingdom
“Hugely disappointing & really want our money back!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We're still convinced there was something strange going on the night we visited no. 55 as it was so extremely bad as to have almost been a spoof!

It started well - we turned up without a reservation, on Easter Monday, but because we were just two, were luckily able to get a table...however, this was the only highlight of the evening. We were sat, and then ignored for about 10 minutes. Eventually a waitress said she would bring us a menu "as soon as she had a moment...."... and then having finally managed to order, we waited a whole hour until receiving our starters. The only saving grace was that we were brought our drinks fairly quickly. However, having ordered a glass of prosecco each as an aperitif, and then being brought a whole bottle, which we queried, were told that the bottle was too small...and so we actually gave up fighting and just drank our way through.

And so it continued - the food was really average, especially at this price; when we asked, after 45 minutes, when our food might come, were told it would be another 10 minutes without apology or explanation. Our waitress seemed so unhappy we actually asked her if she was ok, only to be told that she had just returned from 2 months travelling in India and was finding it rather hard to adjust to the hectic nature of the kitchen......personally I don't believe this is an excuse for bad service! We thought that she was genuinely upset, hence asking if she was ok, we did not expect her to be suffering from post-travelling exhaustion.

The rest of the staff clearly had a problem with our waitress as the pointed looks, comments and discussion about our table was clear to both my husband and I throughout the evening. We presume that something extra-ordinary was happening as there did not seem to be a single person in charge that night. I really hope, for No. 55 and for Salcombe, that we were just there on a bad night, but, as parents of young children and therefore not getting out very often, we are rather angry to have wasted our limited babysitting opportunities on a distinctly average meal!

3 Thank ShortTermTraveller
cheryl19562009, Owner at No55, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi ShortTermTraveller

Thank you for your comments regarding your evening with us on Easter Monday.

We are hugely disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience, we pride ourselves on both our service and the quality of our food, as you will note from all the countless comments posted before from all our happy customers.

Unfortunately on the evening in question (making no excuses here) Cheryl front of house was called away up to Reading for personnel reasons, also one of our staff was taken ill during service.Which put undue pressure on the rest of the front of house team. The front of house team were clearly instructed by Peter co owner not to take any further bookings without running it past him, as the kitchen was already under full steam and hence your wait for your food to be served. There was clearly some communication lessons to be learnt here and we have addressed them for the future.

Regarding your comments about the Prosecco, it is clearly stated on our current in house wine list that it is sold as small or large bottles only and not by the glass.

All in all accept our sincere apologies and when you are next in Salcombe please do give us a call and we will arrange for you to have a meal on the house and a large bottle of Prosecco. As we would like you enjoy No55 at its best. We could even organize a baby sitting service for you.
If you want to phone us to discuss any of the other please use the contacts on the web site.
Kind regards
Cheryl & Peter
No55 Salcombe
Derbyshire
“Excellent food with very friendly staff”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is well worth a visit! The food was excellent and the customer service both friendly and professional.
The menu is very interesting and the prices reasonable for Salcombe!
The atmosphere was warm and inviting and we really enjoyed our evening.
Altogether a very good experience and I would highly recommend No 55 !

cheryl19562009, Owner at No55, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Hi Judith H

Such kind words from you, its so pleasing for us that we can maintain the experience for everyone.

Its all a team effort @ No55 the front of house is guided by Cheryl who has this natural gift to make the atmosphere what it is.

Its always been our ethos to cook simple top class produce reasonably priced along with our wine selection.

Without our team behind us none of this would be possible so from Cheryl ,Peter and not least the team a huge thank you and we all look forwards to seeing you again soon.