“Devon Cream tea - you've got to do it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sailor V Refreshments
Ranked #10 of 37 Restaurants in Salcombe
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Healthy
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Devon Cream tea - you've got to do it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We settled into the eclectic decor, hoping for a decent coffee and a cream tea - we got much more than that - the coffee was the best I have tasted for a long time, not too bitter, with a delicate aroma and a slight kick of arabica. We were told it was Cornish - origins coffee (which I had seen a few weeks earlier - featured in a TV programme).

The cream tea consisted of two scones each - just crisp and sweet on the outside and perfectly cooked. We had fruit-packed jam and of course the ubiquitous Devon clotted cream. Good job we had just finished a 7 mile cliff top walk! It was bliss on a plate, and such good value too - and the ambience created was just right, relaxing and friendly with helpful, well informed staff who told us more about their training with the coffee grower in Cornwall.

Oh, and guys, I love the play on the name - would highly recommend this to anyone, such good value and a welcome rest from the hills and aching legs.

• Visited April 2014

“Unfulfilled potential”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

This cafe could be great, it has a good position and the decor is nice but the food is overpriced and poor. We ordered milkshakes, one was with extra ice cream but it was impossible to distinguish which one was which apart from the price. My wife had a lasagne which was very average and I had a hot dog that was more bread than sausage. Definite room for improvement.

Visited December 2013
Devon
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

As a local I have now visited several times. I have a pushchair and this is one of the only places in Salcombe I can get into easily!
Staff are friendly, coffee is nice. Fresh milkshakes are DELICIOUS!! Food is very tasty and usually good portions and daily specials available. However, I visited for lunch on Easter Saturday with my MIL and was slightly disappointed to find no specials available and the usually generous portions seemed quite stingy! I would have mentioned it to the staff but they seemed to be a bit fraught, like they weren't fully prepared for such a busy day. Felt a bit sorry for them, having worked in the industry in the town for many years myself!!
I will definitely return though, and hopefully by the busy summer holidays they will have it spot on!

Widecombe in the Moor, United Kingdom
“Not good value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

It was a busy Saturday afternoon when we visited this venue. Walking in to a wall on noise we decided to change what we had in mind two minutes before from coffee to some fresh juice. I could be wrong but there seems to be no ventilation thus the place was very very humid, even one of the waitresses was in shorts and a little top because of the humidity.
Anyway ....my friend ordered a glass or orange juice which was said to be "nice" and I ordered the pear juice. My glass of pear juice was mostly huge chunks of ice right to the top. Thus the actual amount if juice was about one third of the orange juice. My attached photos shows the two employ glasses - one with a tiny amount of ice remaining, the other with ice filled to the top. The Pear juice at £2.55 was very very bad value. Will I go back, probably not, the heat must be unbearable in summer

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Late Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Enjoyed a relaxing breakfast in this new coffee house in Salcombe. Food OK..,friendly staff...and although we did not have our dog at the time I noticed that digs were pretty welcome,,,so definitely go next time we have Freddie with us!

Visited April 2014