“Last time I go there!”

Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Arrived on time at 7.30 with my mother and sister for a special treat as they were visiting for one night, ordered drinks which took at least 20 minutes, ordered and got asked to the table near the window, sadly the view is mostly of the roof of the apartments below which have a standard industrial finish, shame they didn't make more of an effort with that but at least you can see the beach on the opposite side of the estuary. Our waiter brought a basket with two pieces of bread type stuff (for three of us), barely acknowledged our existence and left, after waiting a considerable time our first course arrived although the waiter brought me what looked like scallops as well as the two dishes we had ordered which he put down in front of me, when I questioned what it was and whether it was for us he shrugged his shoulders and gave us the other two dishes. Our starters we had ordered were 2 of the "Rare beef salad - prime beef marinated in thai spices seared served with rocket chilli and ginger salad" Sadly the beef was overcooked so much it had long since dried out and my sister wasn't even sure it was the dish we had ordered. It was impossible to attract any attention from any of the staff so I was forced to leave the table and ask for the dishes to be replaced, I decided to try and make the best of a bad job so I made the point that I brought my mother here with my sister to celebrate her 80th birthday and mothers day which resulted in a glass of wine and an apology. When they returned the beef was indeed seared although I suspect the marinading part was a little shorter than the recipe demanded and the rocket had been replaced by something else green. Our waiter forgot to ask for more wine which meant waiving franticly to other members of staff to attract attention, something I would have preferred not to do.

The main courses were delicious and somewhat rescued the evening as did the Australian Shiraz which was excellent. Our neighbours went for 30 minutes without so much as a glass of water and another guest had to drag one of the waiters over to see his dinner which he very clearly stated he was neither eating or paying for.

I was told the waiter was a new member of staff, in which case I would recommend the hotel and restaurant immediately review their interview and training procedures and make sure staff have the necessary communication skills in English before letting them loose on the public.

I should make it clear the the restaurant was less than a third full, maybe only a quarter full and with Easter approaching rapidly the service is unlikely to improve when it gets busier. there was a distinct feeling in the restaurant that several other tables weren't exactly having the night of their lives either which meant we left straight after the main course and coffee.

The biggest insult was adding a service charge onto the bill along with sarcastic comments from the barman.

2  Thank Cookee101
jasonparry55, General Manager at The Jetty Salcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Jetty Restaurant Salcombe here on this site. We genuinely appreciate all feedback and I am so sorry that your experience was far from acceptable and I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

..absolutely superb..even on the middle night when the main chef was obviously having his day off..the food was stunning and plentiful..only very slight issues were no salt in a pot on one evening and the waitress forgot our water on another..I have mentioned on my hotel review that the staff need just a little more training as these two issues are basic..it did not take away the fact that the service was exceptional, however, and two little mistakes are easily forgiven at the Jetty..

1  Thank rossmagpie

Thank you so much for your kind words, I know the Team will be motivated by your praise. You are correct that the attention to details is extremely important and I know that the Team have added additional checking processes to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. Many thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Excellent meals on both nights. Just a bit slow on the Monday night. But as we weren't in a rush it didn't really matter. Looking forward to returning next month.

Thank you for your kind words and I am so pleased that you enjoyed you time with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

When hotel refit finished will be a great place. Had lunch service slow but views and décor great. you have a choice of light or full menu, we opted for light, good choice. Parking going to be a big problem here very limited spaces.

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel here on this site, all works to the hotel are completed but there is still some work being completed on the Villas in front of the hotel but this is also nearing completion. Whilst car parking is always difficult in small coastal towns such as Salcombe we will always do everything we can to assist with car parking if at all possible. We very much hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We went to the Jetty for lunch with my boyfriend's parents as they are from Devon and have been coming here for many years, although it has changed a lot during this time!

We didn't want anything huge so were hoping for a good sandwich or something similar. Upon entering we were promptly seated and given a light lunch menu and were poured some table water. The place only had about 5 tables occupied but unfortunately once we had the menu's we were left sitting for what seemed like for ever and begun wondering if we were supposed to order at the bar!
Finally our order was taken and a joke was made as to whether the order should be written down but we were assured that a good memory meant this was unnecessary.
Alas when the order arrived my boyfriend's sandwich was wrong however this was quickly sorted.
Now for the not so impressive bit.....
The sandwiches were very disappointing and were made from what looked very much like bread from your average packet; very white, very thin, very floppy and oddly shaped! Pretty much what you would fling together for your kid's packed lunch. It was also a shame not to have a choice of white or brown. The fillings were OK but again nothing special. There were some green leaves and vegetable crisps on the side which were both good. Just the main feature that was a let down!

We also ordered 4 "hot" drinks, a mocha, a hot chocolate and 2 latte's. These were actually pretty cool in that they arrived "de constructed" with a large cube of dark chocolate on a stick for you to melt in your drink. However being that the hot drinks arrived only warm this didn't work so well and we had to order hot milk separately to bring the drinks back up to temperature. Apparently the latte's were also not hot. A shame as they were all nicely presented and most people like a hot drink to be hot!!
All in all for somewhere that looks to be a bit special it was a let down. I have had more phenomenal sarnies and hot drinks in cafés. :-(

1  Thank Char206
Gareth P, Manager at The Jetty Salcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review here on this site, I am sorry that your experience was not as you would have liked. Please do contact me on gareth.piper@harbourhotels.co.uk in order for me to address your concerns personally. I genuinely hope that you will visit the hotel again in the future