“Stunning Position Spoiled By Poor Service”
Review of The Jetty Salcombe

The Jetty Salcombe
Ranked #28 of 39 Restaurants in Salcombe
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was our second visit to the jetty and sadly was spoiled once again by a total lack of organisation and service.
As per our experience over New Year, our booking had not been taken - despite walking in 3 days previously and making it in person!
(To make matters worse, the gentleman who took our booking at the time even showed us the table we would be sitting at - complete with unrivalled view).
We arrived and alas, as per our last visit, our name was not on the reservations and so we were shown to a table at the rear of the restaurant, sadly lacking any views and divorced from the rest of the restaurant and any related atmosphere.
For this to happen twice, shows that despite the recent drafting in of new management, they have a long way to go!
The newly appointed, April did her best to appease us with complimentary drinks and a pledge to try to "look after us and put things right".
Sadly despite the initial attentive delivery of drinks and menus, we were forgotten by the several staff drifting by who were intent on looking after those at the front of house with glorious views, as opposed to us who had been placed in the cheap seats on a table adjacent to the side of the bar.
It was another 30 minutes before our order was taken and I was now the self service wine waiter, as we had given up on anyone returning to "look after us!"
The food which was almost irrelevant by now was good but not exceptional.
If you want similar decor with glorious views and hugely better service, head to nearby South Sands Hotel, if you just want a better level of service, head anywhere but here!
Shame - beautifully appointed restaurant with majestic position but too full of self importance and a total lack of management and service to match.
My first review but so incensed I felt the need to share our experience.

7  Thank Charlie F
jasonparry55, General Manager at The Jetty Salcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

I must apologise for the delay in responding to this review, and I thank you for taking the time to write it here, I am very sorry that you experience is far from what one would expect. Please do contact me directly in order for me to address your concerns personally on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had booked a table for 4 and arrived early to have a drink beforehand. The barman was rushing around trying to sort out other orders for drinks and we waited 10 mins before a cocktail list was produced. Several other people were also waiting patiently, eventually the overworked barman asked another member of staff to assist who was unsmiling and very abrupt and asked if we wanted some "simple drinks" assuming he meant other than cocktails, our husbands ordered a glass of wine each which he served then he walked off and left my sister and I without a drink. Eventually the harassed barman managed to serve us. The food and meal presentation was very poor and staff didn't know who was having what. Main courses were scallops, sea bass and pork trio, the first two being acceptable, the pork in the trio was almost raw, whilst we are happy eating undercooked lamb and beef, undercooked pork made us feel uneasy. No one came to check our main course was ok and by then we were not in a mood to want to stay any longer so ordered our bill and left. I found out the unsmiling slightly rude staff member is actually the Restaurant manager who incidentally was also clearing tables and dropping cutlery all over the place. In an establishment of this kind training is key to success and to appear smiling and pleasant is all part of the job? It was a shame our evening made us feel angry and disappointed. We will not return when there are other businesses in Salcombe that do make you feel welcome.

2  Thank suzi L
jasonparry55, General Manager at The Jetty Salcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of the Jetty Restaurant, I am of course extremely concerned regarding your experience here at the hotel and would very much like to look into this further. Could I ask that you please email me on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk in order ascertain further details to assist in this investigation. Finally I am so sorry that your experience was far from acceptable and I sincerely hope that you will reconsider and visit the Jetty again in the future.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Having eaten here at Christmas for a work do and had an ok meal, some friends and I decided to try a lunchtime set menu at £24.95. Despite very few people eating or drinking, we thought service would be fairly quick. Not so - after being given our menus (and on a bit of a tight timescale) we sat around waiting until we managed to flag a waiter down. Orders taken and not informed of any problems apart from no house white (which he didn't know about), we received our starters fairly promptly. Unfortunately the ham hock terrine was gristly and had bits of bone in it. I had mackerel and pickled celery...I really dislike celery (and don't eat ham so a bit stuck for choice) so asked if it could be left out. No problem I was told, but there it was, all over it. After a bit of a wait, main courses came, fish ok, beef teriyaki with spicy noodles nice, but my friend ordered courgette linguini and received goats cheese and sun dried tomato. Not very similar, not informed of change from menu and she doesn't like goats cheese. Due to time pressure she ate the dish and picked out the cheese.
Finally we had pannacotta....these arrived nearly runny. We should gave sent them back, but as one of my friends had chosen the venue and it was a special occasion, we ate them...well as much as we could as it was so runny and sickly.
The coffee came with hot milk though cold requested.
The meal came to around £110 with the inclusive tip. They didn't even offer me my change back!
Won't be hurrying back I'm afraid, staff were pleasant, but it was, all in all, poor service all around. Someone behind us sent their food back....we should have.

1  Thank LoveDevon1912

Thank you so much for your comments regarding the Jetty here on this site, I would very much like to discuss this with you further and with this in mind please contact me on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk as this level of service is far from acceptable and I am so sorry that your experience reflected this. We had had some changes in the Team recently, although this should not make any difference to your experience with us. I do hope that I am able to welcome you back to the Jetty Restaurant Salcombe again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Arrived on time at 7.30 with my mother and sister for a special treat as they were visiting for one night, ordered drinks which took at least 20 minutes, ordered and got asked to the table near the window, sadly the view is mostly of the roof of the apartments below which have a standard industrial finish, shame they didn't make more of an effort with that but at least you can see the beach on the opposite side of the estuary. Our waiter brought a basket with two pieces of bread type stuff (for three of us), barely acknowledged our existence and left, after waiting a considerable time our first course arrived although the waiter brought me what looked like scallops as well as the two dishes we had ordered which he put down in front of me, when I questioned what it was and whether it was for us he shrugged his shoulders and gave us the other two dishes. Our starters we had ordered were 2 of the "Rare beef salad - prime beef marinated in thai spices seared served with rocket chilli and ginger salad" Sadly the beef was overcooked so much it had long since dried out and my sister wasn't even sure it was the dish we had ordered. It was impossible to attract any attention from any of the staff so I was forced to leave the table and ask for the dishes to be replaced, I decided to try and make the best of a bad job so I made the point that I brought my mother here with my sister to celebrate her 80th birthday and mothers day which resulted in a glass of wine and an apology. When they returned the beef was indeed seared although I suspect the marinading part was a little shorter than the recipe demanded and the rocket had been replaced by something else green. Our waiter forgot to ask for more wine which meant waiving franticly to other members of staff to attract attention, something I would have preferred not to do.

The main courses were delicious and somewhat rescued the evening as did the Australian Shiraz which was excellent. Our neighbours went for 30 minutes without so much as a glass of water and another guest had to drag one of the waiters over to see his dinner which he very clearly stated he was neither eating or paying for.

I was told the waiter was a new member of staff, in which case I would recommend the hotel and restaurant immediately review their interview and training procedures and make sure staff have the necessary communication skills in English before letting them loose on the public.

I should make it clear the the restaurant was less than a third full, maybe only a quarter full and with Easter approaching rapidly the service is unlikely to improve when it gets busier. there was a distinct feeling in the restaurant that several other tables weren't exactly having the night of their lives either which meant we left straight after the main course and coffee.

The biggest insult was adding a service charge onto the bill along with sarcastic comments from the barman.

2  Thank Cookee101

Thank you for taking the time to review the Jetty Restaurant Salcombe here on this site. We genuinely appreciate all feedback and I am so sorry that your experience was far from acceptable and I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

..absolutely superb..even on the middle night when the main chef was obviously having his day off..the food was stunning and plentiful..only very slight issues were no salt in a pot on one evening and the waitress forgot our water on another..I have mentioned on my hotel review that the staff need just a little more training as these two issues are basic..it did not take away the fact that the service was exceptional, however, and two little mistakes are easily forgiven at the Jetty..

1  Thank rossmagpie

Thank you so much for your kind words, I know the Team will be motivated by your praise. You are correct that the attention to details is extremely important and I know that the Team have added additional checking processes to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. Many thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.