“A welcome new seafood outlet in a great location”
Review of The Crab Shed

The Crab Shed
Ranked #3 of 39 Restaurants in Salcombe
Price range: US$14 - US$43
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Voted "Best Restaurant 2015" by Food & Drink Devon. The Crab Shed is a new waterside seafood restaurant near The Fish Quay in the heart of Salcombe, Devon. Our restaurant sits alongside our very own Crab Factory where we produce 100% hand-picked crab meat, crab cakes and crab stock for our bisque and sauces. All our fish arrives daily from sustainable stocks from "Day Boats" that land to local Fish Markets, mainly Plymouth and Salcombe.
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Six of us came up from South Sands (two of us in a boat) and we parked the boat at Batson just nearby.
We had a window table inside with a stunning view and it was great that it was full high tide.
The rose Pinot Grigio Blush which we chose for the meal was excellent and reasonably priced.
The female staff were very friendly and helpful.
The best choice was probably the lobster which was definitely the most generous size you can get for the money in Salcombe. The two who had it were very impressed. I had the brill special in a broth of scallops etc which was well cooked and tasty.
The trip back to South Sands in the pitch dark guided by the navigation lights on the boat and on the channel buoys made it a particularly memorable evening.

rob j, Owner at The Crab Shed, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thanks for your kind review.
Glad you arrived back at South Sands safely.

There are newer reviews for The Crab Shed

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My friend and I booked into the Crab Shed last Saturday with great anticipation. Both chefs, we know the people involved and had admired the building going up and looked forward to dining at last at the Crab Shed. The two front of house girls were very friendly and efficient. We shared a starter for 2 of Salcombe Crab claws - at £20. When they came, swimming in a broth, even with a choice of accompanying sauces it was a difficult meal to eat - and I love Fruits de Mer and all that hands on stuff!

Never mind, we thought, looking forward to our main courses. All sourced locally - though no mention of where the mussels came - definitely not Salcombe)

The mussels were cooked in just double cream - no sign of any white wine, onions, parsley... and therefore very sickly. The "Bouillabaisse" put down in front of me was nothing like any Mediterranean fish stew I have ever seen, begging the question, why call it bouillabaisse? Call it Salcombe Fish Stew - and there would be less room for criticism. In fact, it was three identical fillets of skin-on white fish, served in Crab Bisque with some stringy Samphire and sliced new potatoes. I expected a selection of different fish in a mixed vegetable broth - and possibly some shellfish in there too. Mine was improved marginally by some of the mussels my partner could not eat!

So out of three dishes ordered, all three were well below expectations, and so our tip reflected that. We shall not be returning. The seven or more folks who had told us it would be a let down were quite right.

I wrote a letter to the owners, as I could find no email address on a website, and was rewarded with a pompous reply saying check out the Trip Advisor reviews. So I did. All five were glowing. In the letter, Rob said someone else had sent him a bad report personally, so that makes at two bad and five good... or a 20 per cent failure rate. When old locals take the trouble to offer constructive criticism to a new restaurant, perhaps it would be more diplomatic to say we will look into it!

What a pity.

3  Thank Oasisproprietor
rob j, Owner at The Crab Shed, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your response.
I have taken your criticisms to our staff meeting and the observations you have made will be referenced as we continually strive to improve our menu based on the feedback that we receive.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Lovely place, quite unpretentious. Great setting on the water's edge. The food is excellent, fab staff. Couldn't fault at all. Need to book as quite small. Looking forward to returning!

2  Thank emmaphilburton
rob j, Owner at The Crab Shed, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your very kind review.
When starting a new venture every positive boosts our confidence.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We arrived in Salcombe for only a 2 day short visit. This new restaurant was recommended by a friend who lives in Salcombe. What a find! The restaurant is so well situated, easy parking and lovely tranquil view. The staff were exceptionally friendly, kind and hospitable. I ordered crab, my husband a mixed shellfish platter and a bottle of delicious Muscadet. This was the BEST crab I have ever tasted, served with a simple salad and bread. We have travelled and lived all over the world and I have never eaten such delicious, reasonably priced crab.....very clean loos too! All in all.........Fantastic, we will return!

1  Thank Lohag1957

Many thanks.
Look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit to Salcombe.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

With a perfect location overlooking the water, and with the long stay car park right next to the building, this small restaurant couldn't be better placed. Crab cake starters were excellent, as was the starter portion of moules. All our mains were excellent too, with the oven roasted ling an unusual and really flavoursome fish. My daughter doesn't like fish, and the sauce with pasta on the menu wasn't to her liking too, so the chef made her a butter and sage sauce especially at her request which she really enjoyed. I like this kind of flexibility and service. Desserts were equally good too. At £108 for three courses for five including drinks, and the friendly and attentive service, this restaurant deserves to do really well.

rob j, Owner at The Crab Shed, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

A really kind review, many thanks.