“Good Food Great Views”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Although it can sometimes be slow at the bar the ambiance, view and food make the Royal a good place to go for a meal, and the deals are also good too.

Date of visit: May 2016
Old_English_Inns99, General Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

Dear Mike
Thank you for this very honest review. Due to the volume of trade we do often struggle to serve everyone waiting at the bar in good time. Due to having only two tills behind the bar we can only complete so many transactions at once. The space behind the bar also restricts how many team members can successfully work behind there at any one time. I am glad that despite this you still enjoy the view and the food quality that we offer.

Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

We went for Sunday lunch 4th Jul. 3 of the meals were very nice but I ordered chicken supreme and what arrived was chicken with the skin on in a sweet dark brown sauce on top of vegetables? Unfortunately, I had not read the ingredients in this dish but I expected a skinless breast in a creamy garlic sauce with mushrooms? It was changed without fuss but I think this dish should be renamed as it is not in my opinion chicken supreme and misleading.

Date of visit: July 2016
Old_English_Inns99, General Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback.
As you did not fancy any dishes from our Sunday menu I remember that I fetched you the a la carte menu from which to choose. I have worked in many restaurants throughout the UK and have seen various versions of the dish you selected. As you commented the dish is clearly described on the menu.
Of course we sorted a replacement of your choice and removed the charge for the chicken supreme automatically as we wish all guests to happy.

Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

We tried to eat in the royal lastnight after stopping off in the afternoon. We had been walking and stopped for a drink. The menu looked good so we came back a few hrs later. We sat outside and the pub was not full but was busy. I was told at the bar (when ordering our first drinks) that the food wait was 45 mins. So we quickly made our choices and I went back to the bar. I overheard the bar staff telling another customer that the wait was up to 1.5hrs. But the board on the bar hadn't changed. I didn't mind waiting as it was a lovely evening so I waited to be served. And waited. And waited some more. I was overlooked by bar staff who served their friends around me for about 20 mins. I eventually gave in and went back to our table, less than impressed. My partner waited for the queues to quieten and went back in. He overhead others at the bar asking for their money back as they'd been waiting even longer than anticipated. So we left.
There is a large restaurant and huge beer garden so they should put enough staff on the cope. It's a shame because the view was lovely and you can see why people go there.

2  Thank Angelcat18
Old_English_Inns99, General Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2016

Dear Guest
We apologise that we did not meet our usual high standards of service on this particular Friday evening. We actually took nearly £2000 more than a regular Friday and consequently all departments did struggle to meet demand. As you would have seen we only have two bar tills and consequently it is futile to have more than three team members behind the bar at any one time. I am surprised by your comments regarding the team serving their friends as the two young men on the bar were actually from our sister Old English In Devon and did not know anyone in Ross On Wye.
We will strive to improve our service levels at all times.

Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

This is definitely a menu with something for everyone. The servings are more than generous and beautifully made. We sat outside until it grew to cold and inside is very nice with expansive views. Service is great! The fish and chips were nice. The curry plates enough for two with the Tikka Masala coming with an additional vegetable curry, two pieces of Nasn , rice, two papadams, two pakoras and raita. The fajitas also looked generous. I would definitely return whether only for drinks, lunch or dinner.

Dear Guest
Thank you for this lovely review and it is great to know that you would choose to return for all occasions. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2016

We called in for Sunday lunch and was not disappointed.
My husband's beef and my roast pork were well cooked and delicious. The fresh seasonal vegetables were cooked to perfection.
It was a sunny day so we ate on the well appointed terrace overlooking the river Wye.
We could have eaten in the comfortable bar/ dining area, which has relaxing decor and plenty of room between tables.
The staff were friendly, efficient and unobtrusive.
It was also good to see a wide variety of non alcoholic drinks available that were not sweet fizzy pops.
We will definitely call again when in the area.

Date of visit: July 2016
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Dear Guests,
Lovely to hear that both our food and drink selections are ticking the boxes ! Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Rob, Receptionist