“just popped in for a drink”
Review of The Royal

The Royal
Ranked #21 of 103 Restaurants in Ross-on-Wye
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2016

Very nice hotel bar nice atmosphere good value nice decked area great service very close to the river wye.

Date of visit: August 2016
Old_English_Inns99, General Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

Dear Guest
Thank you for these positive remarks and we are glad that you enjoyed your time with us here at the Royal. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2016

A huge thank you to the management & staff for welcoming the Chelsea Pensioners to stay over the weekend - guests of the Royal British Legion.
They were made to feel so very welcome and were extremely comfortable.
They thoroughly enjoyed the food.
Ross-on-Wye Royal British Legion descended en-masse this morning for breakfast and we were made to feel so welcome - the staff were excellent - the food was great - and nothing was too much trouble.
Thank you so much.

Date of visit: August 2016

Dear Twisting
It was our absolute please to host this very special breakfast and we are so happy that the Chelsea Pensioners so enjoyed their time with us.We were honoured to have them here.
Our strong ties with the Royal British Legion are very important to us and we look forward to working together closely in the future.
Many thanks

Reviewed 26 July 2016

Although it can sometimes be slow at the bar the ambiance, view and food make the Royal a good place to go for a meal, and the deals are also good too.

Date of visit: May 2016

Dear Mike
Thank you for this very honest review. Due to the volume of trade we do often struggle to serve everyone waiting at the bar in good time. Due to having only two tills behind the bar we can only complete so many transactions at once. The space behind the bar also restricts how many team members can successfully work behind there at any one time. I am glad that despite this you still enjoy the view and the food quality that we offer.

Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

We went for Sunday lunch 4th Jul. 3 of the meals were very nice but I ordered chicken supreme and what arrived was chicken with the skin on in a sweet dark brown sauce on top of vegetables? Unfortunately, I had not read the ingredients in this dish but I expected a skinless breast in a creamy garlic sauce with mushrooms? It was changed without fuss but I think this dish should be renamed as it is not in my opinion chicken supreme and misleading.

Date of visit: July 2016
Old_English_Inns99, General Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback.
As you did not fancy any dishes from our Sunday menu I remember that I fetched you the a la carte menu from which to choose. I have worked in many restaurants throughout the UK and have seen various versions of the dish you selected. As you commented the dish is clearly described on the menu.
Of course we sorted a replacement of your choice and removed the charge for the chicken supreme automatically as we wish all guests to happy.

Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

We tried to eat in the royal lastnight after stopping off in the afternoon. We had been walking and stopped for a drink. The menu looked good so we came back a few hrs later. We sat outside and the pub was not full but was busy. I was told at the bar (when ordering our first drinks) that the food wait was 45 mins. So we quickly made our choices and I went back to the bar. I overheard the bar staff telling another customer that the wait was up to 1.5hrs. But the board on the bar hadn't changed. I didn't mind waiting as it was a lovely evening so I waited to be served. And waited. And waited some more. I was overlooked by bar staff who served their friends around me for about 20 mins. I eventually gave in and went back to our table, less than impressed. My partner waited for the queues to quieten and went back in. He overhead others at the bar asking for their money back as they'd been waiting even longer than anticipated. So we left.
There is a large restaurant and huge beer garden so they should put enough staff on the cope. It's a shame because the view was lovely and you can see why people go there.

2  Thank Angelcat18
Old_English_Inns99, General Manager at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2016

Dear Guest
We apologise that we did not meet our usual high standards of service on this particular Friday evening. We actually took nearly £2000 more than a regular Friday and consequently all departments did struggle to meet demand. As you would have seen we only have two bar tills and consequently it is futile to have more than three team members behind the bar at any one time. I am surprised by your comments regarding the team serving their friends as the two young men on the bar were actually from our sister Old English In Devon and did not know anyone in Ross On Wye.
We will strive to improve our service levels at all times.