“Disappointing Room”
Review of The Chase Hotel

The Chase Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was late booking a room for my wife and I and no standard rooms were available. I decided to book a more expensive superior room and give ourselves a treat. On entering our allotted room after climbing two flights of stairs (there are no lifts) I thought that there had been a mistake and surely this was not a superior room. It was smaller than most 'standard' rooms I have stayed at in hotels - only a foot or so space from the end of the bed to the unit on which the modest sized TV stood. The wardrobe was a two foot square unit in a corner and there was no proper drawer space only two shallow drawers in a writing desk and a similar one in each bedside cabinet. I protested to the manager who showed me another superior room which was the same size and he assured me that the superior rooms were slightly larger and had a view of the garden which standard rooms did not. Apart from cancelling our booking we had little option but to accept the room. A wedding was being held on the Saturday and the thump, thump, from the disc below could be clearly heard well into the night. The noisy wedding guests returning to their rooms added to our discomfort. Having said that, I have no other complaints about the hotel. It was in a lovely setting and had a renovated feel about it. The room was clean and the view over the gardens from the room was impressive (if expensive!). The staff were friendly and the food was good. The cheaper bar menu was also available in the restaurant if required.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the functions room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter W

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We booked on a deal including champagne and after reading some TA reviews our expectations were not sky high. However, we had a pleasant welcome, a good selection of sandwiches, cakes & a scone & a pannacotte. All were of a good standard and their was ample food for two healthy appetites. We ate on the outside terrace which was pleasant.

There was no individual choice apart from type of tea and once our food was delivered we never saw the waiting staff again. It would have been nice if they had enquired if all was well or offered to top up the tea. Apart from that it was a pleasant experience and excellent value for money.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The staff here are charming but just not enough of them! They did apologise for being so slow but it rather spoilt the experience. Bread would have been excellent had it not been reheated to boiling point. Delicious and generous helping of scallops (although I mourn the loss of the coral in cooking everywhere nowadays), risotto a little too firm and salty for my taste. Nice dining area and pretty location. Worth trying. Did not stay at the hotel, just ate in restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Overall no major issues at all... The room was a little noisy thanks to air con unit outside but didn't bother me overall and certainly didn't stop me getting a good night sleep.

Clean rooms , good food, friendly staff . Breakfast was really good also cooked to order .

No issues at all

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Phil H
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the Chase Hotel for a two night break. We had an executive room which was well worth the extra cost and had a Jacuzzi bath. Views from the window over the garden were spectacular.. The hotel has an outside terrace with views of the garden and as the weather was so good we used this area on both days. Harry's restaurant was excellent and the food very good with daily specials. There is a new chef and we are looking forward to seeing his new menu in September. The lounge bar is comfortable and the staff very pleasant and efficient, the sandwich menu is also very good and excellent quality. We will certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the garden.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had originally booked a hotel nearby to this one for my partner's birthday; they double booked and, only telling me a couple of days before the event, offered to pay for an alternative hotel for us. This was The Chase.

It's a lovely, picturesque building in beautifully landscaped gardens (I believe they've won prizes for them) and the entrance feels very grand indeed. All the staff we dealt with were lovely and very helpful and the atmosphere was relaxed. Our room was comfortable, with a hospitality tray and an excellent shower, although I'd probably have hoped for a slightly larger room for the price had I been paying for it myself.

While we had a drink in the bar, we didn't eat here (there's a lovely Nepalese a five minute walk away, though) so I can't comment on dinner. Breakfast was plentiful, quick and of excellent quality.

Overall, I'd recommend The Chase if you're looking for a mid-range hotel that'll provide relaxation and a laid back atmosphere. The majority of the guests were of the older variety, so there'll certainly be no 18-30 parties disturbing your break!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We booked afternoon tea at the Chase Hotel in Ross-on-Wye. We had booked a deal with Groupon. We booked the Champagne afternoon tea the previous day, hoping we could enjoy this experience in the garden. On arrival at the hotel someone was directing the parking, we assumed that a wedding was taking place. However when we notified the reception desk that we had arrived we were told that a funeral party was already there but we were welcome to take our Champagne afternoon tea outside. We soon realised that a large group were outside and other than"gate crashing" the funeral party we had no option but to eat inside. Had we booked weeks in advance I would have fully understood the situation. However only booking the previous day I felt we should have been informed of the situation and we could have rearranged the date. We felt it would have been disrespectful to the funeral party if we had invaded their privacy.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple