“Exceptional in every way”
Review of Wilton Court Hotel

Wilton Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 42 Ross-on-Wye B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Exceptional in every way”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Perfect, cannot fault it. Attention to detail is one of the main attributes a good hotel should have and the Wilton Court delivers this and more. The staff are friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble, even when my wife set off the smoke alarm whilst doing her hair!!!! The hotel had a quality throughout, with a lovely clean, well appointed bedroom with a wonderful large bed. The setting of this hotel is perfect, just outside the main town, looking over the river. We had the breakfast and evening meal and my word, the food is just wonderful. A perfect two day break, our thanks to all......

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
RogerWynn, Owner at Wilton Court Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor

We really appreciate your comments that you found that Wilton Court had lots of character, excellent service and a comfortable bed .

We are of course most sorry to learn that you found the pork tough and that you found it disappointing that the staff did not deal with the disappointing dish.

On investigation I understand that after a few minutes of serving the main course the waitress checked with you that you were happy with your meal and at at that stage you had said everything was fine. I am wondering if we asked too soon and if that is the case we will review our timings when checking with guests that they are happy with their meal. I do understand that the waitress noticed that you had left most of your meal and she advised the manager on duty. I am at a loss why he did not come and offer you an alternative as this is our usual policy . I know that our manager cleared your cheese plate and asked you if everything was ok to which you replied yes but knowing you had left most of your main course it would have been more appropriate to have apologised and again we are most sorry that this did not happen.
I see that you do not live very far from us and should you decide to return to stay or for a meal please let me know so that I may personally welcome you and make amends for your disappointment . With kind regards Helen Wynn Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
West Sussex
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We Stayed for just 1 night on a secret escape deal which included dinner and breakfast.
Excellent value and lovely food.
There is a beautiful garden to sit in with the complimentary tea and biscuits on arrival.

Dorset
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Very nice charming hotel in beautiful settings.
Attentive on arrival and chap at reception offered to carry my wife's bags to room at top.
However, the nights sleep was awful for us - we turned and tossed all night, in pain! the mattress were the hardest ever and pinched the skin against the bone. When i mention it to the lady, she said they were two weeks old and was very defensive 'people prefer firmer beds and no one else has complained'. Well there is a difference between firm and granite. I would advise 'sleep on it one night for yourself when room is vacant then pass comment yourself' - would bet my life on it that she will be going back to the mattress shop for a swap.
Parking was very tight so we had to go on the road opposite near a nearby pub.
The breakfast was amazingly good quality. Arguably one of the best I have had - very tasty top notch ingredients. Toast was a bit small and not plentiful but the cooked breakfast was just to die for.
The only negative for me was payment - I felt that they added £50 on the bill and were trying it on. I booked online a family room but when I phoned later on I was told that the room was no longer available (even though website booked it for me). so the lady on the phone said we could actually still stay and they would put two single mattresses down for our 5 and 12 yo as the room was big enough. I thought this was a good compromise and agreed - and was told that actually the room was 145 and not 165 as it was not the proper family room - so I accepted, happily. I also had an email letter with a PDF attached of the booking and the confirmed price of £145 for the made up 'family' room. I am happy to reply the email back to them to prove this (please ask) as I did explain at payment that I was not lying and that they were now trying to charge £30 MORE than the original price for the proper family room. This did had me annoyed but I kept my cool and the lady taking the money accepted my argument as I quoted verbatim the prices so I think she realised I was genuine.
The room was charming with nooks and crannies - only a bit of dust in places but tidy. Bathroom looked a bit tired but it was clean.
Its just the bad mattress and pricing hike that has left a bad taste in my mouth when it is such a lovely setting and the best breakfast one may experience at any hotel in a lifetime.
Never being there before, I found it hard to find first time as I drove past it at the back of some windy roads and your eyes are drawn to the river and pub on the right not the stone wall of the hotel on the left - got there in the end!
Quiet location and sound proofed windows are good - nice river view.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steve C
RogerWynn, Owner at Wilton Court Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Further to your recent review on Trip Adviser I would like to address your comments.
The hotel mattress you slept on was purchased from Mattressman a hotel bed contractor three weeks ago. The Mattress is called the hotel three pocket and is recommended to their higher end hotels. This is their top spec mattress. It is a source 5 mattress which means it meets with the industry standard of fire regulations. The mattress itself contains 1200 pocket springs and hypo allergenic fillings, perfect for guest who may suffer with allergies as well as being a comfortable and supportive mattress. This mattress has been rated as a medium tension and is 28cm in depth. This is the link http://www.mattressman.co.uk/mattresses/british-bed-company-contract/the-hotel-three-pocket-single-mattress.aspx. We have received no other comments from guests who have not had a comfortable sleep and I have contact mattressman directly and they have informed me that they have had sales of over a million pounds in the last year and have not received any negative comments.
We have no record of your reservation being made through our on line booking. We only have details of a direct booking requesting the family suite to which we advised that the family suite was not available and that we could offer as an alternative a double room with one extra mattress.as the room was not really suitable for two mattresses . I apologise that the confirmation that was sent to you only confirms one double room at £145.00 and does not mention the extra bed charges. On the morning of your arrival we saw in the comments field of your reservation that two mattresses were requested, though the confirmation only confirmed a double room with no mention of extra matresses and that is why I rang you to clarify . You may recall I was a little concerned as we do not place two extra mattresses in the room as there really is very little space for two extra beds. After speaking to you and you advising me you were definitely told you could have two mattress in the room I set them up although tight and called you back to let you know this had been arranged. On check out when you questioned the extra bed charges I removed the charge for the extra beds as it was not included in the letter and I could clearly see that there was a confusion . I am therefore sorry that you have commented that we were trying it on when I agreed immediately to take the extra bed charge off. You also mention the rate for the family suite for four people should be £165.00 but it is actually £185.00 as per our tariff on our web site and tariff.
We do thank you for your comments on our breakfast.
england
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This hotel has it all, at the rivers edge with smart gardens and good views from the rooms, the hotel has character, Helen is charming and friendly, the room was clean and comfortable with nice decor, a lovely bar area in which to choose your food from the excellent menu, the restaurant is light and spacious and the food was delicious, the staff were polite and helpful and the breakfast menu had many choices which were again lovely, I thought the stay was excellent value. I would gladly return.

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I was treated as a surprise to a stay here by my husband for my birthday and had a really lovely time. They didn't know it was my birthday, so I had no special treatment, they just give very good service anyway!
The property itself is very characterful, complete with wobbly floors warped with age! We had the main four poster room shown on the website, which was very comfortable. It was a nice touch that as it has been particularly warm it had been considered and a fan had already been put in the room for us. The view from this room over the river was stunning.
The dinner was absolutely delicious with every element being perfect. As this is a restaurant with rooms rather than a hotel there were obviously only a few of us staying and being such a lovely evening we sat out. The staff did let us know that they'd be shutting the bar at 11 but in no way made us feel rushed or unwelcome to relax for as long as we liked.
It is also a very easy walk into Ross along the river so it was nice to be able leave the car and just go for a wander.
The staff were all warm and welcoming - I really can't fault it!

Room Tip: There are specific dog friendly rooms so if you have your pet, this will depend where you go.
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We enjoyed two nights in this beautiful hotel.The food was amazing and we had wonderful service.The riverside location was lovely our room had river and garden views and was clean and the decor was very nice. We felt that our welcome could have been better,we were given all the information we needed but it could have been done in a more friendly way. There is a small road between the hotel and river which cannot be seen on the photo but was not a problem during our stay.

Room Tip: Room 3 has river and garden view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
S.Wales
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had a murder mystery weekend here and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great fun from start to finish. Food was first class and the service was friendly and efficient. The room (No 10) oozed character and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was very good too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends