“Birthday treat”

Ranked #1 of 43 Ross-on-Wye B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

A surprise birthday treat was two nights B&B with dinner at this lovely family run hotel.
Rooms clean and very comfy and we had fab views of the river Wye.
Best part of the mini break though was the food. Truly exquisite. Locally sourced and fresh. fillet steak was one of the best I've ever eaten.
There was a great selection, both for dinner and also breakfast and I truly would have enjoyed anything on the menu. The desserts were also delicious.
Staff very warm, friendly and couldn't do enough to make your stay enjoyable.

Definitely return as there is so much to do locally. Great hotel and restaurant.

Room Tip: A Restaurant, with rooms, and what a fabulous restaurant!!! We had room 10 which had great views but...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
London
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Charming and friendly staff. Chintzy bedrooms. Not particularly luxurious but adequate facilities. Our bathroom pretty small with no natural light Room and decor what we expected so no real shocks. Had the choice of three rooms. My husband wanted a river view so he chose the smallest room!! Had dinner in the hotel on two nights. Good that a la carte included in our room rate. Got third night free with breakfast only
I think that previous reviewers have overrated the food. It was good but not exceptional. There was plenty of choice but my fillet steak on the first night was uninspiring and the duck on the second had a sauce that did it no favours
The cooked to order part of the breakfast was fine but the 'fruit and cereal' buffet was limited and uninspiring and not particularly well presented. Some cheeses and continental pastries, ham etc would have been nice!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caroleek
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend after picking up a deal through Secret Escapes and we were really impressed with everything - great welcome, spotless room, lovely breakfasts and two amazing dinners! The hotel itself is really beautiful and quirky and the service was exceptional. Would definitely return and recommend - in fact I already have!

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here for my husband's birthday for long weekend. Took our two labs with us and i have found that a lot of the time you stay somewhere with your dogs they are tolerated - the hotel positively welcomed them -food was beautifully cooked and staff couldn't do enough to help -definitely one to recommend

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bude, Cornwall
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Due to work, I stay away a lot (usually 3-4 nights a week) and I normally stick to the main corporate chains to build up points in the various rewards schemes I am part of. However, due to an early appointment in Hereford and the lack of mainstream hotels in this area I ventured onto laterooms to find a hotel that was local to my appointment. I ended up booking a night at the Wilton Court hotel and to be honest wasn't expecting anything more than a glorified bed and breakfast that would be functional and in distance of my early appointment.

Before I even arrived at the Hotel, I received a call from reception to see what time I would be arriving and to check if there was anything they could do prior to my arrival as I was due to arrive pretty late.... this was a nice touch and this focus on customer service continued throughout my entire stay.

When I arrived and checked in, the reception staff already knew that I was leaving early in the morning and offered to prepare my breakfast that evening and store it in their kitchen fridge for me to collect in the morning when I left.

My main point of contact (Polly - who is a massive credit to this establishment) showed genuine concern that due my breakfast being prepared the night before my croissants would not be warm in the morning and was keen to ensure this wasn't an issue for me... she also set me up with my own little space away from the restaurant where I could eat my dinner at the same time as working on my laptop (Loads of work to do and v little time to do it!) which was really nice.

Just to complete my role of being a complete pain in the neck customer I also needed access to an iron and ironing board so I could iron a shirt for the morning. I wandered back down to reception to ask if they had an iron and board that I could use and to my surprise they said that they did, but if I brought my shirt down to them they would iron it for me and bring it back to my room!

The actual hotel itself is set in a great location with ample parking and the food/menu is great, but if it wasn't for the staff and their attitude towards customer service it would just be a pretty hotel in a good location. When you add this venues customer service into the mix though you end up with an awesome venue for both leisure and business travellers. I will def stay here again if I am in the area and would recommend the hotel and restaurant to anyone thinking of staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DangerPainter
chester
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I booked a 2 night stay with a special deal through secret escapes so it was a cost-effective stay. Staff are friendly, helpful, polite and service is excellent with Helen (the owner being hands-on). We had an inclusive 3 course dinner on both nights and whilst the dinner menu was the same on both nights the choice was good enough to have different dishes although the choice is not that extensive. The cooked breakfast and cereal selection is more than adequate but the smoked salmon and scrambled egg was so good that I had it on both mornings. The menu choice has some very unusual but interesting cuisine. The table service was also excellent at both dinner and breakfast and my wife was that impressed she rates this above the Wood Norton hotel silver service at Evesham.

The signs at the entrance says restaurant with rooms which says it all really. The rooms are spotlessly clean with quality towels and furnishings whilst the mattress was firm so a good night's sleep is easy to achieve even with my wife's bad back. We requested a room which has a step into shower for my wife's bad back and were allocated room 5 overlooking the garden. The room itself is a reasonable size although floor space is at a premium whilst the en-suite is the smallest area you could imagine. The en-suite has been built into the corner of the room but could have done with another 0.5m width with the bedside cabinet not being in that space. The furnishings and décor throughout the restaurant and rooms reflect the character of this listed building which add to the enjoyment of staying at this 'restaurant with rooms'.

Would recommend the restaurant for special occasions.

Room Tip: room 5 with step in shower.
Warrington
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Our party consisted of myself, my partner and our 2 dogs, one of which is a guide dog. The hotel was fab for dogs, disabled people and above 5 star food. We have been on many cruises and the food here is equal to that of a luxury cruise. We asked for a big room to accommodate our dogs and it was perfect. We had romantic evenings sat on the banks of the river. We will definately be back

Room Tip: We asked the staff when we booked about rooms and they spent time allowing us the select the most ap...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple