“Poor customer service and disappointing food in a lovely setting”

and 1 more site!
The Old Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Reviewed 10 June 2014

A nice setting in the loveliest garden and potentially a great venue let down by dreadful organisation and poor food and a bar manageress that acts like a diva. I wouldn't go again, I wouldn't recommend having a function here and customer service training wouldn't go amiss.

4  Thank 190Trev
Victoria S, Owner at The Old Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback relating to the party you attended. I value customer feedback and I can understand that your expectations may not have been met of what you expected on the night. On this occasion the guest holding the party had specified for little intervention in the service & buffet food - in my experience I believe this is what led to your expectations not being met as it was not a "Dinner" to which you were invited or a process in terms of food allocation! My apologies for this but I was following instructions. Thank you for your kind comments about the setting.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I can't praise jono and Tory enoughtfor the care service food and total wonderful experience we have had over the last four days the food was the best we have ever had the prices so reasonable quality five star all the staff went over the call of duty every one in our party 70 of us were full of praise for this hotel and we all wished we could do it again thank you from the bottom of my heart for a truly wonderful wedding just perfect and any one booking there venue there will be just as pleased as us thank you

2  Thank Miami747
Victoria S, Owner at The Old Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for your review and your lovely feedback. We work hard to try and ensure all our guests enjoy themselves. We are over the moon that you all had a wonderful time and hope you choose us again if you are in the area.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We have just had our wedding here what a superb location and venue nothing was too much trouble for all the staff we were treated like royalty the food was amazing staff service amazing and what a place for us to have our wedding every single guest said this was the best wedding they have been too the room for dinner was beautiful thank you to the staff for making our day even more special

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Jackie P

So pleased you & Ryan had a wonderful time. We will look forward to seeing you next time you are back and for your first anniversary stay.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

My sister booked her wedding here all I can say if from start to finish how impressed I was.. A family run business that is done with passion and true professionalism . Jono and Victoria you have a wonderful place with fantastic team all round! The food was fabulous from our first evening meal, the wedding food was the best I have had.. Breakfast was great too.. A special mention for the sticky toffee pavlova all our the party raved about this pudding..
Keep up the amazing hard work and very high standards. The Old Court is really the place to get married at.. I would like to say all your hard work made my wonderful sisters wedding.. A great big thank you to all.. Another huge plus here it's dog friendly .. If you are looking to book your wedding don't hesitate worth every penny ..

2  Thank jstils

Thank you for your feedback and so thrilled you all had a lovely time and enjoyed the atmosphere, food & team work. If you are back in the area we do hope you would use us again.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights for a family get together, we were given one of the 'barn' mini apartments, which was a good size, with a comfy four poster bed and sofa bed for the children, they really enjoyed the space in the room, it was enough for them to play games and run about.

The hotel itself was built in the Tudor period, and you can tell, it is beautiful, the originality is great and it made our stay so relaxing, it is lovely to forget our iPhones and tablet computers, and just enjoy the peaceful surroundings, including impeccable gardens and surrounding fields, the weather was good which did help, but I could have sat outside all night it was so peaceful.

Food was also lovely, by no means 'pub grub' - this was special food, perfectly cooked every time, extremely tasty and the waiter who served us was charming, polite and very professional, I wish I had taken his name.

We enjoyed the gardens, including the small play area which our children loved, yes there are little things which could benefit from renewing or redecorating, but I think it all contributes to the classic environment, it all worked!

Plus, if you do pay a sneaky visit to the future, there was WiFi throughout, and it was free!

Something else I would like to add, these days, hotel staff adhere to guidelines set out by managers and never veer off them, this hotel is different, they do everything they can to help you out, and it really does make a difference.

Room Tip: Rooms above the function room could be a little noisy at the weekend.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aircanman

Thank you for your feedback. We do appreciate it and try really hard to ensure everyone enjoye their stay. It is a challenge with a 450 year old building and I am glad we managed it in your opinion. I really love the fact you comment on how hard we try to help our guests. I think it is something that sets us apart from our big city, high capital investment competitors and our guests tell us regularly that it is! Hopefully if you are ever back in the area you will choose us a place to stay.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

An old as in olde worlde hotel with many fine features including a large hall as a restaurant. The standard room was adequate, although the bathroom was tired. The food in the evening was well done with plenty of choice, an excellent breakfast and a very enjoyable " function " lunch. The staff were, without exception very helpful and accommodating. Some may find the low doors and uneven floors an issue, there may be issues with the control of temperature in the bedrooms, and judging by the literature, some noise at weekends. Soundproofing in the rooms is minimal... But it is a very old building and full of character. The location is fantastic on the banks of the river wye... Also great for children as there is a butterfly farm and maze over the road.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback and appreciate your comments about the age and the challenges of the building. It is important for guests to note this as some find it brilliant and part of the charm and others find it off putting. Pleased you enjoyed it though.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Visited last week with my wife and had a meal with chips. The chips had pepper on them.
We mentioned this to the waiter, who said they always served chips this way.

No chance to opt out of having pepper, no apology, no option but leave them.

This is not what we would have expected!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paul a

Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your meal and experience due to the seasoning on your chips. In all our menus we write about our special seasoning so that customers know when ordering. We also state that all you need to do is ask for no seasoning if you don't like it. Really sorry we did not resolve it for you on the day and if you come back please ask for no seasoning and the kitchen can do this for you no problem at all.