“Just amazing”
Review of The Hill House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ross-on-Wye
The Hill House
Ranked #12 of 43 Ross-on-Wye B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

i wrote the 1st review and just been back after a spell away, personal reasons, and its as amazing as ever. Its like staying with old friends who want to fed you up :) thank you duncan and alex for remaining you despite the hotel inspector

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank wicca

Reviewed 7 September 2012

We had a brilliant time at the hill house, we stayed in the dryad suite which was very nice the bed well i am short and had to climb into bod lol lol. The food was fantastic and plenty off it i squeezed mine in cause it was so nice.. Duncan was the perfect host and told us where to go on our days out..I have told my friends to go there and see if they experience what we did.. you must try the dryad suite..... That was cool. ( August Bank Holiday 2012) I am going to use it as a retreat as so peaceful there
Thank you Duncan for all you did x x Karen and Paul

Room Tip: Try the dryad suite
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 115KAREN
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We only stayed the one night but will try to get back for more of the same. Great place, great people and fab setting. Hot tub, jaccuzzi and cinema space available. Definitely the place to go if you want to relax and find some calm. A unique sort of B&B.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank emergencybanana
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This is one amazing hotel. Fantastic rooms with a breath taking views. The hotel and servicevisca little quirky but Duncan and Alex the owners make you immediately welcome and the service they offer is first class. If you want a chain hotel with anonimity do not book this hotel but if you want an outstanding memory and great food plus great service book this hotel. We will be returning as I think it is one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had plus it is unique. Fabulous!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Jumppp
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We really enjoyed our recent stay at Hill House and found it to be a perfect antidote to similarly priced soulless chain hotels and cliched 'boutique luxury' accomodation. The friendly pets, wonderful decor, acommodating hosts, laid back rules and beautiful setting help you feel so relaxed and comfortable - the experience is more akin to a guest visting friends than a customer using a business.
As many other reviewers attest, Duncan really goes out of his way to make you feel welcome, not just on arrival but throughout your stay. We stayed in the North Suite, and were very impressed by it's generous size, lovely decor and comfortable furnishings. The room was well equipped and very clean - the enourmous four poster bed can only be described as sumptuous, and everything about the bathroom was lovely.
We spent our evening eating a takeaway on the private balcony, watching the sun go down over the miles of beautiful countryside visible from the house. As twilight drew in we took to the outdoor hot tub and enjoyed a bottle of wine while the stars came out. We ended the day curled up on the giant bed, watching a DVD from the enourmous library of great films available to guests.
We were welcome to choose when we ate breakfast, meaning we could enjoy a lie in and felt no pressure to be up and dressed by a certain time. It's the little details like this that really help make the stay so relaxing. When we finally arose, the enormous locally sourced breakfast was delicious in both the meaty and vegetarian versions - and so plentiful we didn't need to eat again until the evening.
Overall, we loved our stay at Hill House and can't wait to come back again soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ellie H
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Hill House is not going to be for everyone. I was recommended by a friend and I knew if she loved it, I would too, and I read the reviews and knew what to expect, but I can understand if it's not to everyone's taste - it really depends what you want from your holiday. If you prefer to keep more to yourself, and you prefer anonymous hotels where you check in, and where you know exactly what to expect because every room is the same, then this really isn't the place for you. I'm not saying those kind of hotels are a bad thing because sometimes they are what you want, but Hill House really isn't one of those kind of hotels. So, that caveat over, what can I tell you about the place?

We stayed in the North Suite and, having snuck a peek at the other rooms while they were empty between guests, I would book our room again when we go back - and we WILL be going back. All the rooms are totally individual and packed full of character and the North Suite is, to my mind, the most relaxing and serene of them. It's decorated in blues and cream/whites, and is very spacious. There's a four poster bed in the corner with curtains on the two sides open to the room, two very comfy chairs, a large screen TV and DVD player, the usual tea&coffee making facilities (milk you have to get from the kitchen downstairs or bring your own perhaps if planning on using loads), a hairdryer, desk and upright chair, and built in wardrobe, plus a tray with "emergency wine" and glasses. There's also a wood burning stove and a sack of eco logs for which there is a separate (very reasonable) charge, and they also ask that you get one of them to start the fire for safety reasons. We didn't need them on this trip as we were blessed with good weather, which meant we spent some time sitting out on the room's private and un-overlooked balcony. I say balcony, it's more like a full deck, with a bench and several chairs, and a fabulous view of the mountains. The North Suite also has an upstairs room with a double and single bed, which of course we didn't need but would make this room idea for families. The stairs up could use a handrail of some kind though, they aren't completely unsafe but I'd keep a close eye on children going up and down. Upstairs there's a window above one of the beds which means you can, if so inclined, lie there and look at the stars. We did and it was lovely. The North Suite really is very very spacious, and the pale colours and lots of wood (wooden floors and some wooden panelling) make it very serene and calming and relaxing. The bed is very soft, so if you prefer a firmer mattress it might not be for you, but the duvet is thick and warm and snuggly! The en-suite is also a good size, with a lovely free standing bath and overhead shower. The sink is in the main bedroom. I'd seen comments about less than perfect cleanliness levels in other reviews and I'll agree some areas of the house could have done with a quick dust (but then frankly so could my own house!) but certainly the bedroom and bathroom were totally spotless. Robes and slippers were provided, as were some GORGEOUS toiletries from a small company called Sacred Earth - I took the details and will be ordering some of the frankincense soap.

Local & small suppliers is a key theme for the Hill House, reflected in the food. As other reviews have said, if you're on a diet, you'll need to take a break for the time you are here. The breakfast is lovely, with eggs fresh from the chickens that wander the grounds freely. Portions are very very generous! Veggie option available on request, but we didn't try it. Full range of cereals on offer, and lovely apple juice too! We also had the evening meal one of the nights of our stay and the portion size was the same i.e. HUGE. Nettle soup - and we'd seen the nettles being picked, you can't get fresher than that! Dragon's breath chicken with local (from less than three miles away) asparagus, as well as other veg and potatoes that were very nice. Then local ice cream that had every single person at the table making the kind of noises you frankly associate with other things! Salted Caramel flavour is to-die-for. The meal finished with a selection of local cheeses - we loved the welsh blue best - and glasses of "druid fluid", a local liqueur that I suspect is lethal if you drink more than one glass ;) Everything was fresh, well cooked, and tasty. The food isn't fancy but it sure as heck is GOOD. At £21 for the four courses and liqueur it's also very good value.

We came by public transport and we only had one full day (two nights) so we wanted to spend the time doing not very much - when we come back we'll maybe do some of the local sights, and walks. There's a good selection of leaflets on the area available. Instead we spent a lot of time sat in the bar/lounge playing chess and reading. The bar again does its best to focus on local produce, and my other half was very happy with the local beer, I was very happy with the spiced apple wine which Duncan kindly warmed for me. On the second night we tried a sloe gin and sloe vodka but there wasn't much left so if you want to try that get there soon! Bar bills are added to the final bill so try to remember what you've had - which might be hard if you have as much red wine as we did! The bar is a lovely warm room with several comfy sofas, a good sound system and another open fire which I imagine would be lovely in winter. There's a selection of board games available for those so inclined and a range of CDs that is eclectic but most people should find something they like!

Just outside the bar is a "library" with again an eclectic range of books and some comfy chairs in which to sit and read them - although you may have to fight the cats (three all friendly) to take possession! There's also an impressive DVD collection and you can take DVDs up to your room or try the "cinema room"; we did and were brought in popcorn to complete the "big screen" experience. We didn't try the sauna (maybe next time!) but did use the hot tub! Again there's a charge for this but it makes sense - it keeps room rates low for those not wanting to use it, and the charge is reasonable considering how much energy they use. The tub is lovely, it can seat up to seven but we thought it was pretty perfect with just two and a bottle of red wine under the stars!

Duncan and Alex are impeccable hosts, friendly and willing - they even picked us up from Ross and dropped us back in Hereford for our train. Nothing was too much trouble and yet they really made us feel like we were staying with friends which is a strange idea but I think it's part of the joy of the place. Their children are also lovely; polite and interesting to talk to!

Overall I can't rate this place as anything other than excellent. I can't wait to go back, it was a lovely relaxing get away which was just what I needed this weekend, and the serenity has stayed with me despite a nightmare train journey home!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LauraThePanda
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This B&B is in an amazing location with wonderfully, imaginatively decorated large rooms. The owner cooks a huge full English breakfast to your specs and is very friendly and helpful. The problem is that the housekeeping is, at best, lackadaisical.
They have a large outdoor hot tub but charge an additional fee to use it. They also charge for wood for the fireplace but we thought this was reasonable since they are using ecologs and have to buy them. There are cookies and wine left in the room that you can choose to buy. Unfortunately the cookies were 6 weeks past the best before date. They need to pay more attention and get some help with the housecleaning.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple