Lock in the lowest price from these sites
joodee
watford
Castle Lodge pleasure
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Jun 2021via mobile
A lovely old building on the edge of Ross on Wye with a garden patio and plenty of parking.
It has many querky features from oak beams and low ceilings to servants call bells in the foyer.
Our spacious family room comprised of 3 sparate areas - large area with double bed and sofa bed. 4 irregular steps lead to a small ante room containing a dressing table, chair, fridge and beverage facilities. Through a further small door you entered a large bathroomwhere there was an over bath shower and a sofa alongside the sink and toilet.
Breakfast was in the large light airy restaurant.
There was no written menu but our family’s varying individual needs were well catered for. Cereal, juice and fruit were offered buffet style and all else at table service.
My cooked breakfast was excellent - well cooked, hot and delicious.
The bar was well stocked with a variety of local snd traditional beverages.
Managment and staff were friendly and attentive.
Husbands only complaint was ‘ the birds started singing too early…’
Date of stay: June 2021
5.6 miles from Castle Lodge Hotel
Restaurant
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in Ross-on-Wye
All reviews the river rooms are comfortable nice room town centre friendly hotel two nights one night stay pleasant stay lovely food an evening meal cooked to perfection ross hosts bath character wye ensuite
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 May 2021

I stayed here solo over a weekend. The welcome at reception was warm and friendly, and I was shown to a lovely, cosy single room, filled with little personal touches. I particularly loved that there was a hand-decorated bottle of bubble bath left in the bathroom.

The food in the restaurant was delicious, and beautifully presented - I genuinely had one of the best steaks I've ever had here, and the full english breakfast couldn't be faulted. I was also given suggestions for local attractions to check out the next day,which was extremely helpful.

All in all, it was a lovely experience, and I'll certainly be staying again.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2020

We stopped two nights at the Castle Lodge Hotel, it being our first visit to Ross on Wye. The hotel is just out of the town centre, it is a very pleasant 15 minute walk along a road or along the river bank.
We had a warm welcomed from the owner and shown to our room on the front of the beautiful building a large room, very comfy bed with very nice bathroom, very quite. Plenty of secure free parking.
There is small bar, on the Friday evening we had a very tasty sandwich. The breakfast was very good and served by a wonderful, friendly member of staff.
We would definitely return and look forward to visiting Ross again.

Date of stay: September 2020
2  Thank jackie m
Reviewed 12 September 2020

Castle Lodge is a hidden gem in Ross-on-Wye. It manages to be well-tucked away and offers a quiet night's sleep, despite being situated just off the A40.

Stephen and Georgina are the most friendly and generous of hosts, and really care about their business and the comfort of their guests. They offer a very warm, down-to-earth service that perhaps is becoming a rare commodity in an increasingly busy hospitality industry in which customers can be 'just a booking'. They are also very knowledgeable about the local area, and can offer pointers on things to see and do; or, if you'd rather, they may be able to regale you with anecdotes about their time living in South Africa! They also offer great food at very good prices, and even as a vegetarian I had plenty to choose from (and there's plenty of local meat and dairy, too).

I always enjoy visiting Castle Lodge, and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a pleasant short break or family/business event.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2020

This small family run hotel has a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. We were welcomed and seen to our room by the owner. It’s certainly well positioned just off the main A40 and an easy walk into Ross on Wye. The decor in some areas and in the family room we stayed in was a little tired and could be improved however that is reflected in the tariff. The evening meal menu descriptions on the black board did not do justice to the plates we were presented. All were freshly cooked, served with side of veg and my husbands fish came with lyonnaise potatoes (unexpected) , all of our meals were really tasty and well presented, and did I mention value for money. A discount was applied on the bill as we were staying in the hotel.

Reviewed 28 August 2020 via mobile

I had the pleasure of playing in a golf event at Ross-on-Wye Golf Club and needed a hotel for just one night. A quick scan of two main booking sites offered up the Castle Lodge Hotel. It ticked a my boxes and they had availability. I headed on over and started to realise I had very much fallen on my feet. The hotel is family owned and run. Steve (the dad) checked me in and was very helpful and friendly. Helen (Steve’s daughter) showed me to my room and the friendliness continued...

Room was clean, well appointed and I had an en suite shower room. All very good!

I had an excellent dinner down stairs with a couple of beers. Steve recommended the Steak & Ale Pie and I accepted the challenge. Warning!: The pie is about the size of a tennis ball but has the density of a black hole! It was just fantastic and almost too much along with the chips and veggies.

The Castle Lodge Hotel is not 5-star by a long shot but... if you want cozy, friendly, welcoming, inexpensive and just plain GOOD then look no further.

Did I mention it’s really friendly? Yes I did!

Trip type: Travelled solo