“Very pleasant”

Brook Whipper-In Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Oakham
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I had an over night stay in the Whipper-in in Oakham last week and was pleasantly surprised. On arrival the lady on reception was very efficient without being starchy and made me welcome. The room was spotlessly clean. In the bathroom there was a shower attachment to the bath taps but nowhere to fix it and no shower curtain, but that was the only thing about the room. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night's sleep.
I had dinner in the restaurant where I found the staff very helpful. The menu was not extensive but had a good range of different food. I always find this encouraging because it means that the food will be more likely to be cooked fresh and not pinged in the microwave. There was something on the starter menu that I fancied and aske if that could be made into a main cause to be told that chef would be happy to do. I am glad because it was very good indeed. I also had a sweet. A chocolate parfait to die for!!!!
Breakfast was very good too. the bacon was thickly cut and the scrambled eggs were perfect. Another good thing was that check out was not until 11.00 am which meant that I didn't have to rush.
On the slightly down side, the car park is detached from the hotel and is not well signed. I was on my own so I had to get out of my car to look for it. Also the public areas were a bit tired and could do with a re-decoration.
The overall feel of this quiet town centre hotel for me was good, no loud music to grate the atmosphere. Very restful and relaxed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank David S
Anthony G, General Manager at Brook Whipper-In Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for your kind review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and dining experience at the hotel and hope to see you return in the near future.
You should return and try some of the new dishes that will be going onto the menu shortly.
You are correct in your assumption that we make our food fresh at The Whipper-in Hotel rather than going down the "ready made" route, as we feel that this adds to the dining experience.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

A classic old coaching that is a little tired in decor - Lots that could be complained about, like worn carpets, curtains, wall paper and creaky floorboards, however the whole feel of the place is comfortable and re-assuring, and what you would expect from an old Inn in the Market Place - Would I stay there again? - Yes.
My one main gripe is the WiFi rip off. The hotel provides free WiFi in the public rooms (not in guest rooms!!!), however it is so slow that it is unusable. I suspect that it is trying to push you towards the paid option (not cheap) that they provide - why do hotels still believe that charging extortionate rates for WiFi is acceptable? - it is just an extension of the phone charges that uses to be staple of hotel incomes.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Just visited this hotel for afternoon tea with my husband. We had a very pleasant afternoon with a more than adequate meal consisting of a very good selections of sandwiches, plus scones and cakes made in the hotel. The waiting staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Anthony G, General Manager at Brook Whipper-In Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive response about the hotel.
Your kind words are appreciated and will be passed on to the relevant staff members.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We spent the weekend here, initial reaction was not good due to the receptionist, who was not particularly welcoming or helpful. Other staff were exceptional and helpful. They seemed to be running the hotel on a shoestring as the staff on duty were having to perform numerous functions at the same time.
This is an old building and that must be bourne in mind, however, the initial impression was that it could do with some money being spent on the decoration. But it was clean and tidy and the food was excellent although the kitchen did run out of steak and the bar out of a particular red wine.
We stayed in Maynell which had an uneven floor which is to be expected in a building of this age. The net curtains had holes in them. The bed was comfortable and lighting throughout the hotel was dull.
There was a car park at the back of the hotel accessed from a side street but space was limited due I think to a wedding reception that was to take place.
The bathroom whilst not huge was adequate, sadly the bath only had a hand held shower and the water pressure was virtually non existant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Adrian F

I apologize that you felt that you were not welcomed on your arrival to the hotel, but am gratified to read that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and the food to your liking.
You are correct in pointing out that The Whipper-in is an old building and thus will have various quirks, like uneven floors, that go with it.
Many of the pieces of furniture are bespoke items and reflect the age and style of the building.
Your comment about the net curtain has been taken under advisement and I have instructed Housekeeping to replace it.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

One or two recent reviewers have suggested cleanliness issues, including cobwebs.

My wife and I occupied the room named “GRAFTON” for two nights which was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The shower fitting in the bath was hand-held, which meant that I couldn’t take a proper “upright” shower, but I enjoyed, instead, a lovely relaxing bath, as hot water simply gushed out of the tap (no problems with water pressure in “GRAFTON”.

The staff at the "Whipper" were very friendly and helpful, and we were made to feel "at home". The food was excellent … a very tasty breakfast, and first-class dining in the evening (including the delicious “Sunday Roast” that we enjoyed on our second night).

If you like “real ales” then the “Whipper” has a choice of ONE, unfortunately. But, just two doors away, is the “Lord Nelson” pub which has a good range of real ales and draft ciders.

Parking isn’t a problem. You can leave your car right in front of the hotel entrance, in the historic Market Place (if you can bag a place and you have a disabled driver’s badge, like me) failing which there’s a large private car park off the street at the rear of the hotel.

As other guests have commented, the décor in the public areas is a bit tired, and the wallpaper is peeling in places, but that didn’t spoil our visit, and we’d definitely stay at the “Whipper” again and recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
I have passed on your kind words about the food to our new Head Chef, which were received with appreciation.
We are continually trying to improve our standards at the Hotel, in all the departments, so I am grateful to read your review and see that our hard work is now taking effect.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We had a lovely stay in the whipper, yes some bits were tired but this is a 17 th century inn,what do some of you expect! We had a beautiful room, the staff were smart and friendly and there was free ample parking, we will Definatly be back! Thank you for an enjoyable stay in this beautiful old inn!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Tillytrotta

In this day and age, people are quick to complain, but slow to praise, which makes your review all the more special.
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

It's not a bad hotel but there were a number of things that were unnecessarily frustrating. Firstly, a shower without a shower curtain or a hook to put the shower attachment on. The phone in the room didn't work and it should be against trading standards to advertise this hotel as one with free WiFi - they offer an archaic sub dial up speed WiFi service solely designed to make you think paying £6 for their other WiFi is value for money. Finally, the new bed linen discarded outside our door in the morning only made us feel like we were outstaying our welcome.

I would have probably given this hotel a 3 if it wasn't for the receptionist who flat out lied to us when we tried to get a taxi to a wedding reception. We were told there was only 2 taxi firms in Oakham and it would be a 45 minute wait - she was adamant that there were no other taxi companies. However, we got a brief bit of 3G coverage and were able to Google another 4 numbers, get a cab in 3 minutes and get to the wedding on time. It left a really bad taste in the mouth as they were seemingly only willing to help us if they were getting a cut of the fare to the point of us almost missing out on such a big event in our friends lives.

The only good thing was the breakfast waiter who was fantastic, and really looked after us. He deserves a 5 but when you get lied to it really sours your experience

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakham
The Old Wisteria Hotel
#2 of 3 in Uppingham
Hambleton Hall
Hambleton Hall
#1 of 1 in Hambleton

Been to Brook Whipper-In Hotel? Share your experiences!