“Clean with terrible service.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harben House Hotel

Harben House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Newport Pagnell
Sandown, United Kingdom
“Clean with terrible service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed in the hotel on a business trip and chose it for the price offered. At first glance you couldn't really complain. I'd say you pay what you pay for room wise and it was surprisingly very clean. Trouble is that no one at reception takes customer service seriously. First of all, I asked for one of the fully refurbished rooms, and was assured on the phone that it was booked for us. On arrival, old room was allocated. We had a smell of cigarette smoke coming in overnight and in the morning. Explained the above to the receptionist who kindly offered a refurbished and free from smoke room when we come back from training. We arrive from training and were told by a patronising receptionist with some higher hierarchy Richard that it's impossible as there are no free rooms. And that he hopes our original room doesn't smell any more. We were made to feel uncomfortable, as if we were trying to pull a fast one. Not a good idea to treat your guests this way. We will not be going back.
Advice for guests, if you prebook your breakfast on arrival, you will be charged £8,50 instead of £10,50. Richard the receptionist told us we should have been asked on arrival. Well, surprisingly, we were not...

• Stayed April 2014
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay here at Harben . It upsets me greatly that the attitude and behavior displayed by a small minority of the team here are not up to the standards that I and De Vere Venues as a company expects from them. I have instructed the Management team across the property to carry our behaviors training as a matter of urgency and will personally follow it up with them to ensure it is completed.

We have only a have a small numbers of bedrooms which have not been referbished and work in ongoing with these rooms continuing with new carpet on 26th May.

I can assure you this has been dealt with and I hope you return to Harben Soon.

Nicky - Operations manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Attended a retirement party & the room was lovely. It was the 1st time that I had visited unfortunately I didn't take advantage of the over night accommodation & breakfast, but I thought the venue was great. The decor was nice and had a great ambiance

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for such a positive review of your experience at Harben . I am glad you enjoyed our facilities ! Thank you for informing . I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Kind regards

Nicky Smith
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I booked this Hotel for my manager as it was near to where he wanted to be. The Hotel needs gutting completely, my manager changed rooms 3 times before getting something that was just ok. The first room was infested with ants so Simon G you were right to move. The second the bathroom had not been cleaned, the third room was just ok. To call the Hotel a De Vere Hotel no best sleep in the car! We are a well travelled company so will have to seriously look around next time. Sorry.

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank millhouse05
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Thank you for your constructive feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at Harben . I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room.

I am can only apologise for the inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your stay and hope that they do not discourage you from visiting again as we continue to improve upon ourselves and our standards.

The concerns around the ant's is fully in control now, the change in weather is causing this to happen. We have a programme in place for treatment and this will no longer be any issues at harben.

Please fee free to contact me directly if you wish to stay again or raise any further concerns about your stay her at Harben nicky.smith@deverevenues.co.uk.

Many Thanks

Nicky

Travellers are raving about these Newport Pagnell hotels

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Went to stay here on the 24th March 2014. Booked in only to find room infested with ants and other guests also complaining. Looking around on the net the had known about this for at least 3 days.
Finally found another local hotel with space at an additional cost of £50 (so you can tell I had to leave) and swiftly left.
Received a call the following day apologising and promising a refund.
Ten days later and i'm still waiting for that refund.

They simply don't deserve the business

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your constructive feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at Harben House. I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room but I am sure that you will be glad to hear that your very valid comments are being considered while we look towards improving the décor of the remaining un-refurbished bedrooms.

I personally made the call and manage all complaints to ensure we are handling the feedback on a 1-1 basis. The refund was processed for your room. The reason why this was not processed in the first place, as I was un-aware you stayed and therefore the FOC night was not pyt into our systems.

The concerns around the ant's is fully in control now, the change in weather is causing this and is to happen. We have a programme in place for treatment and this will no longer be an issues at harben.
wishaw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Hotel was lovely was a bit sceptical looking at it from the outside but lovely,food and rooms are excellent,beds very comfy.Had a slight problem on the first night of my two night stay but was quickly rectified.Staff all very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I was in room 227 small but very comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank weeangWishaw
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding you stay at De Vere harben on 12th March

We are constantly looking at ways to drive customer service forward at Harben and we take all feedback very seriously and I appreciate your comments and hope you come and stay again soon.

Nicky - Operations manager
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

The hotel is not far from the centre of Newport Pagnell which is a pleasant town and close to the Aston Martin Works. Check in was smooth and I was given a room on the ground floor.

The room was compact with double bed and was nicely decorated. There was a wall mounted TV with freeview channels, tea/coffee facilities, a good amount of space for clothes; also an iron and ironing board. The bathroom was open plan with a state of the art shower system with massage jets, very invigorating!

The rooms maybe smaller than average but for the money paid it represents exceptional value for money for the facilities offered. One down side was the WIFI wasn't working, I didn't follow this up as I had brought my internet dongle with me. I enjoyed my stay and I would quite happily stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank paullegate
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for you comments, we appreciate all feedback about our venue.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
milton keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

For £19 a night I could not fault this hotel.. The room had a double bed, which was fine for a single person, but for two I would say it would be cosy! The bathroom had a great Bath and shower and the bed was comfy. It was also really handy having a proper iron and ironing board in the room rather than having to ring reception to ask for one. I would happily book here again it really did tick all the boxes I challenge you to find a hotel with good food and bar service.at this price and a plus there are some great old pubs and the best curry places in Mk within 5 minuets walk

Room Tip: Ask for room 210 it's a suite.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pennypopMiltonKeynes
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for you comments, we do appreciate all feedback about De vere Harben.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thanks

Jurys Inn Milton Keynes
Jurys Inn Milton Keynes
#4 of 34 in Milton Keynes
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,099 reviews

Been to Harben House Hotel? Share your experiences!