“fantastic value”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Newport Pagnell
Hornsea, United Kingdom
“fantastic value”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

always more than happy with the value of the rooms, very happy only paid £39. staff friendly and professional. what more can you ask for?!
only comment i would make is that the carpet outside the lifts on the second floor is thread bare and this does look disappointing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback with regard to your recent stay with us at Harben . I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you very much for such a helpful suggestion with regards the the corridor carpets, we are focusing on different areas of the venue for improvement work each month, I hope t have this particular concern addressed within the next 3 months.

Look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Nicky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Norwich
Reviewed 28 May 2014

the room was sold as a compact double and they weren't kidding. Having said that the room was clean and tidy and the staff helpful and pleasant. We only needed a room for the night so this was fine, and only cost £19.00, so were more than happy, if you however want a more luxurious trip this would not be the hotel for you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback with regard to your recent stay with us at Harben. I am pleased to hear that our staff were able to cater to your needs and friendly to you throughout your stay.

Thank you for the honest comments regarding the room, we do advise bookers of the size of our bedrooms when making the reservation. We try to keep our rates competitive due to the compact nature of the rooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon,

Thanks

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here because I had to work late in Milton Keynes and got a cheap room on offer.

I've stayed at De Vere a couple of times and have never been disappointed. The rooms are small but have everything you need and it's clean.

I also used the gym and had food at the bar: both of which I was impressed with - hot dog thoroughly recommended!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you so much for your loyal custom, I cannot express how thrilled we are to read about our guests experiences with us, especially repeat customers! So thank you very much for taking the time to inform us about your stay at Harben . I am glad you made full use of all our facilities and had another enjoyable visit. I look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay!

Nicky - Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for 1 night and paid only £19! At that price surely no one can complain! The rooms are functional, there's a good, well stocked bar on the ground floor and the location is superb - just a 6 minute walk to Newport Pagnell town centre.

London
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We booked 2 rooms in this building (can't really call it a hotel) it is half office block and half accommodation.

The receptionest had an attitude before we even checked in and simply told us to wait. (Alarm bells started to ring).

We requested spacious rooms that don't have zip lock beds, simply because one single bed is better than to joined together beds and you get a much better sleep, the response to our request was that we would have to upgrade at a cost of £20 each if we wanted a slightly bigger room.

I made my way to the room of the second floor and as soon as I got out of the lift the alarm bells started to sound again, this was due to the fact that the carpet was so worn down that you could see the threads from the carpets core structure.

i arrived at the room and INSTANTLY knew once I opened the door that I had a problem, the carpet was so dirty and the room had some rather odd smell, I walked into the room and it was so small that the double bed was up against the wall, you only had one way into and out of the bed.

I went back to reception and confirmed that I was not happy with the room and as I was not willing to pay for the upgrade nothing could be done, I requested to speak to the manager and after 5 minutes someone arrived in a tux and suggested he was the person to talk to.

It turns out that the guy was not the main manager but rather the only person available. I was told at this point that the room is what the room is and they have nothing bigger and if I was not happy then I could have a full refund.

I explained how unhappy I was that I had been lead to believe I could have a standard size room but only if I paid to then be told that all the bigger rooms are full.

In the end I felt that the standard of the place added with the staff attitude resulted in us having to leave and get a full refund.

Upon leaving they did not seem bothered.

This is a business venue at best, don't stay here if you want to impress.

We voted with our feet and kept our shoes on and left, you may also want to do the same.

4 Thank Terraprime
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for your detailed review of your most recent stay with us at Harben . At De Vere we pride ourselves on constantly improving our service, so I am grateful you have taken the time to inform me about your unsatisfactory experience with us. I have shared your comments with our Reception Manager, who has in turn shared them and carried out necessary training with the entire Reception team so that such an oversight cannot happen again. I understand that first impressions are important and this was clearly a bad start to your stay. I take your points regarding cleanliness very seriously and these have been addressed with the Housekeeping Manager who will training and auditing her team as a matter of urgency. We are currently looking at what maintenance and improvements can be made to our bedrooms so thank you for such valuable feedback. I can only apologise for the inconvenience these matters may have caused during your stay, and I will take your points on board and always work to improve the information or quality of product my guests receive. I look forward to welcoming you back to show you what enhancements have been made.

Nicky Smith - Operations manager

Travellers are raving about these Newport Pagnell hotels

Helston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

First room; stains on carpet , unquantifiable smell (could have been an anti-tobacco freshener), window without a latch to hold it shut. Second room; after asking to be moved, better but well worn. Both of the rooms were small. Fan in bathroom not working. Bed was comfortable enough though. Breakfast okay after being told off by staff member for sitting at the wrong table (this because there was no-one to show me where to sit when I entered). Evening meal likewise okay but so lonely in an almost empty restaurant! However hotel was cheapish and close to the motorway which meant it fulfilled its function for me.

Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for your constructive feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at Harben . I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room but I am sure that you will be glad to hear that your very valid comments are being considered while we look towards improving the décor of the remaining un-refurbished bedrooms. I am can only apologise for the inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your stay and hope that they do not discourage you from visiting again as we continue to improve upon ourselves and our standards.

Nicky - Ops manager
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Having stayed in over 20 hotels in the past 12 months I can safely say this was the worst. The staff were friendly and the public spaces were ok. Food was ok. However the rooms were terrible. 1st room (on 1st floor) I was given was not good. The bed had crumbs in it. The room was too hot, the carpets and wallpaper looked very shabby and the size of the room was tiny. I complained and was moved to room on other side of hotel on 2nd floor. This room was slightly better. Nicer carpets and wallpaper, Looked cleaner and wasn't so hot. Major downside though was the bathroom was infested with Ants.

I cannot remember the last time I complained about a standard of room, this was so bad that I nearly complained twice.

I would never stay at this hotel again and I would advise all others to avoid.

Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for your constructive feedback with regards to your recent stay with us at Harben . I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room & Other mentioned concerns, but I am sure that you will be glad to hear that your very valid comments are being considered while we look towards improving the décor of the remaining un-refurbished bedrooms. I am can only apologise for the inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your stay and hope that they do not discourage you from visiting again as we continue to improve upon ourselves and our standards.

Kind regards

Novotel Milton Keynes
Novotel Milton Keynes
#8 of 35 in Milton Keynes
Holiday Inn Milton Keynes East - M1 Jct 14

Been to Harben House Hotel? Share your experiences!