“Basic but clean”
Review of Harben House Hotel

Harben House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Newport Pagnell
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Not the typical DeVere venue's standard but its clean and ok for a night or two.

Would I stay there for pleasure, probably not and certainly not during the week. The hotel seemed to be full of late teens on a course. I suspect that this venue caters for this sort of event.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the guests of any large courses that are taking place.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your most recent stay with us at Harben. I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused with the students you mentioned, hopefully they did not impact your stay too much!. I will continue to share the feedback that we receive so that the team can see what impact their actions have on our customers. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay and giving you a memorable stay for the right reasons.

Kind regards

Nicky Smith

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here as I was attending a wedding nearby and the usual suspects were coming in at around £70 for a one night stay. For £29 a night I couldn't really pass up the opportunity to see what this place was like.

First off, let me state that this is not a hotel in the truest sense of the word. It is, to all intents and purposes, a training/conference centre that has on site accommodation. As such, a lot of the rooms are for single occupancy and are quite small although they do have double beds so it's not ideal if you want to spend a lot of time in your room.

The venue has free wifi throughout which is something certain other chains should seriously consider these days. The communal areas are fine as is the bar and restaurant although the rooms could do with a lick of paint and the bathrooms could do with being updated a bit. My main gripe with the room was that there was only one double socket which had the TV and fan plugged into it most of the time so where do I charge my phone, tablet, etc. ?

Service from the staff was excellent throughout my stay and the breakfast is worth paying the money for. It was a buffet style and you could eat as much as you wanted and everything that I had tasted delicious. Together with the meal I had in the bar the night before the food is a lot better than some other hotels I could mention.

All in all, it is an absolute bargain at £29 a night if you're in the area. Forget the other nearby chains and get yourself into this place. It will be the best thirty quid you've spent in a long time.

Room Tip: Apparently some rooms have air con, mine didn't so ask when checking in or booking.
1  Thank Jedinuk
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We take any comments and feedback about harben very seriously. I appreciate this room is not for everyone in relation to the size, however we do feel the staff and the rest of the hotel experience makes up for this.
Many Thanks, Hope to see you again soon.

Nicky - Ops manager.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

It was a booking for a single occupancy, but even still, hardly room for you and a suitcase. And a noisy coach outside the window with engine running for 45 minutes after 22:30 at night is not conducive to a good nights sleep.

Room itself was very tired, not what you expect from a De Vere Branded Hotel - don't bother staying here if you have a choice

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay here at Harben.
Whilst the rooms are a compact double, the price and location of our venue is competitive to hotels in the area. The majority of the bedrooms have been referbished and the remaining rooms are part of a venue improvement plan, which we continuley have work taking place each month.
We do hope you come back to stay at Harben again soon, Your comments are taken onboard and I have shared this with the managers here also.

Thanks

Nicky - Ops manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

After a poor expedrience with Travelodge - i booked here at short notice 11pm and was accomodated and looked after.
Love De Vere hotels - loverly rooms. Would stay here again.
Secure car park, free wi fi. Bed v comfy!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback with regard to your recent stay with us at Harben. I am pleased to hear that our staff were able to cater to your needs and help you throughout your stay. Thank you very much for your comments.
I look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Nicky Smith - Operations Manager.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had heard some bad reports on the venue but still booked 1 night and only paid £29, I was aware the rooms were small but was pleased with how clean the room was, I did not used the restaurant but found the barman very pleasant, and I would not hesitate too book again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the second floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Nicky S, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback with regard to your recent stay with us at Harben. I am pleased to hear you stay was enjoyable. Thank you for your feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

For a cheap brief stay this is fine. breakfast was very average, rooms are ok. Good that the wifi was free and the staff were friendly. I was charged twice for breakfast but managed to get a refund.
It's walking distance to the town centre which means you don't have to experience the terrible restaurant setting.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay here at Harben, we are always finding ways to improve our guest experience and you comments were taken onboard and I have spoken with the managerment team to ensure you experiences are not repeated.

I do hope you visit again soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Firstly, it's quite hard to find the entrance. You see the hotel on main street, but there is no sign indicating that you need to turn into the street before you reach the hotel and drive to the back, where there is a small (again badly signposted) entrance.

The rooms are OK though, the staff is very friendly and really quick, both checking in and out. I paid less than twenty pounds for one night, which makes this venue a real steel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback with regard to your recent stay with us at Harben. I am pleased to hear that our staff were able to cater to your needs and help you throughout your stay. Thank you very much for such a helpful suggestion with regards to entrance, you will be glad to hear that this comment has been passed on to higher management as a suggested feature. I look forward to welcoming again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Pagnell
Swan Revived Hotel
Swan Revived Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newport Pagnell
Holiday Inn Express Milton Keynes

Been to Harben House Hotel? Share your experiences!