“A gem of a place!”
Review of The Claremont

The Claremont
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We recently enjoyed a great night's stay at The Claremont. Visiting Blackpool's illuminations we decided, for a change, to 'stay over' on the Saturday night. We found a lot of Blackpool accommodation offering a minimum 2 night stayonly and we were also concerned about where/cost of parking in Blackpool. As we love St Annes, we decided to look at B & B's there and came up with The Claremont, which had great reviews. And we were very pleased with our choice! No problem with a 1 night stay, on a quiet street with ample parking and close to St Anne's lovely shops etc., We did not meet Ray on our visit, but Alison was a calm, caring and helpful host. We had one of the family rooms (2 adults and a 9 yr old daughter) which was at the front of the property. The room was light, had a double and single bed (and a small but very adequate en suite shower room) and although the room wasn't huge it was immaculately clean- as was the whole B & B- and well equipped with plenty of wardrobe space, big soft towels, shower gel, shampoo and biscuits with the tea/coffee/hot chocolate. There was also a small downstairs sitting room which our daughter was very happy to visit to borrow a game or a book. Breakfast was fantastic! As Alison was serving us in the dining room we presumed that Ray must be the cook! Everything was freshly cooked and of great quality, there was a relaxed atmosphere and nothing was too much trouble for our host. All in all a great experience, thoroughly recommended. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark H
1mapfan, Owner at The Claremont, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Gosh what can we say except many thanks for such a wonderful report on your stay with us.
We are so pleased that our guest house was to your liking and that we were able to help make your stay in St Annes such a good experience.
You are right Ray does cook the breakfast and he is very pleased that your were happy with everything.
We look forward to welcoming you again when you next visit the area. Remember the Blackpool illuminations are extended this year till November 10th.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Fantastic night away at The Claremont. We only met Alison but she was the perfect hostess where nothing was too much trouble and was able to look after all her guests very capably and cheerfully. Refreshing to find accommodation which was not only exceptionally clean but also tastefully decorated. The full English breakfast was perfect and all the little extras like hot chocolate, tea and coffee in the rooms and a DAB radio and tv (which we didn't watch as there was so much to do) made it a memorable first visit for me to this part of the coast. We would definitely stay here again but bring our family next time! Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolineWM
1mapfan, Owner at The Claremont, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Caroline and Alan
It was a pleasure to welcome you for your first visit of what we hope will be many to our Guest House. We were very pleased to read your review and to know that everything was to your liking. Hoping that Caroline you are recovered from your injury and that we will be seeing you again soon so that you can explore the area some more.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I have just stayed two nights at the Claremont whilst attending a friends wedding in Lytham.
I had an en-suite single room and may I say how pleased I was.
The room was spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed and spacious shower/bathroom. The towels were fresh and clean with the largest bath towel on the planet. Ample tea and coffee making facilities and a flat screen tv with freeview. You couldn't ask for more.
The inclusive breakfast which consisted of a good choice of cereals and fruit juice followed by a full english breakfast (other cooked options were available) was superb. In fact my only criticism would be that cooked breakfast was too hot. It was obvious it was freshly prepared.
I noticed that the dining tables were immaculate and the cutlery was exceptionally clean and polished which to me shows a high level of care and pride.All this for the excellent price of £30 per night.
It was also well positioned for access to public transport and within easy walking distance of an array of shops and restaurants.
I may well stay in Lytham in the future and The Claremont would be my first choice.
Congratulations to Alison and Ray

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Dave h

WOW, thank you very much for taking time to write such an in depth and informative review of your recent stay at our guest house. Whilst we appreciate your lovely comments we know that all that you have said will help future guests decide if we are the place that they choose to visit.
Many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

This was our third trip to The Claremont. A group of 10 golfers - married couples - have stayed here for the last few years and have indeed booked again for next year. Alison and Ray are terrific hosts and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are clean and have everything you need in them, tea and coffee making facilities etc. Breakfast is a delight - basically anything you would like, in anyway you would like it ! Wine chilling in the fridge for all us golfers to meet up in the evening before we sample the delights of Lytham St Annes. We would recommend this B & B to all who like nice clean rooms and towels, a terrific breakfast and help with anything that is needed.

Room Tip: We always have room 3 - our friends have room 4. Our room has a double and single bed in it. It is...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dobney
1mapfan, Owner at The Claremont, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stays with us.
It has always been a pleasure to welcome you all.
We have twelve months notice now to find an activity for your mid week 'day off', perhaps not as energetic as this years idea!

Thanks again and see you soon as the year will fly by again!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

On arrival my first impressions of the accommodation were good. I was shown to a single room which seemed cosy and suitable for a nights stay in st Anne's whilst visiting my daughter who lived nearby.
During the night I had to receive medical attention and was taken to hospital due to a mouth abscess. An infection had caused me difficulty in breathing so I was taken by paramedics to Blackpool Victoria hospital and was not discharged until 5am.
The previous day I had arranged with the land lady that I would like to have breakfast at 9am. However because I was admitted to hospital and did not arrive back at the accommodation until 5.30am I presumed that my breakfast would be kept asside for me considering that the landlady was aware that I had been ill during the night. When I arrived in the lounge area at 9.30 I was urgently asked to settle my bill and did so with the land lady and then waited in the lounge expecting to then be served my breakfast. At 10am I then rang the bell to explain I needed to leave shortly and when I can be expecting my breakfast? The land lady then told me I had requested to have my breakfast at 9 which is the time they stopped serving breakfast. I was so angry, however I remained polite and then left the b&b not only tired but extremely hungry. I was not made aware that breakfast would not be served after 9, but I thought my host would be considerate enough to make an exception considering I had been taken by ambulance to the hospital during the night. I could not believe I was refused breakfast and was frankly disgusted that I was not so much as offered a slice of toast. During my time in the lounge waiting for my breakfast I noticed a sign encouraging guests to write a review on trip advisor. So this is mine: Could have been a pleasant stay as the room was ideal for my purposes. The land lady may have a qualification in sign language, but I think a course in hospitality would have been more appropriate. Although people with hearing difficulties will be catered for, should you have breathing difficulties and need hospital care you will not be treated in with the same care or courtersey. If you look like me ie a skin head with piercings and tattoos, who does not seem educated enough to write a hotel review I would not stay here. If you are a business man in a suit or a mature couple I think your hospitality would be better catered for, and I imagine you would be given the courtesy of handing your keys in at the end of your stay before you are asked to settle the bill. But if you don't look well to do you will likely have card reader rudely put before you first thing in the morning incase you make off without paying. Overall very dissatisfied with the level of hospitality. A caring host would have acknowledged that I had been taken by ambulance to hospital and at least made some effort to make my terrible experience a little better by allowing me some leeway with the breakfast policy. £30 seemed a bargain for a night stay and a breakfast, but all I got was 3hrs sleep and not so much as a piece of toast and a brew. So I have some sign language of my own for the management of the Claremont the you do not need a BSL qualification to understand.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank stevemilliput
1mapfan, Owner at The Claremont, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

We are pleased that you were happy with your room but disappointed that you felt disatisfied with our hospitality.
Breakfast times are clearly stated (from 7 am till 9 am) in the information for our guest house on the web site of the booking agent you used and in our guest room welcome folders.
Email confirmation requests payment on arrival - we generally wait till departure.
Guests are welcomed regardless of appearance, hairstyle etc.
During your arrival and greeting conversation you chose 9 am for your breakfast time.
Advise was also given as to the location of the out of hours pharmacy.
We were woken at 1 am to answer the doorbell for the paramedics and after half an hour we saw you go off to the hospital by ambulance.
Breakfasts are freshly prepared and once all guests have been served the kitchen is closed for cleaning. No food is "kept aside".
By 9:30 am we assumed that you must either be still at hospital or had decided to lie in and, like some guests do, use the beverage tray in your room and miss breakfast.
When you came into the lounge at 9:35 am and Alison enquired how you were the impression was that you were still in discomfort and probably unable to eat. She therefore presented your bill.
We sincerely hope when you next visit your daughter that you will book and stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed for a week at the Claremont, in the basic single room (Room 2), and cannot fault the place. It is scrupulously clean,tea bags etc, shower gel, shampoo and clean towels are generously provided and the clean bathrobe supplied was a touch which raised the standard from excellent to super excellent. Alison and Ray are kind, courteous and keen to ensure that all guests are happy. I appreciated the availability of early breakfasts as even on holiday I like a prompt start to each day so that I can catch early buses and trains for my trips out and cram as much as possible into my time. The breakfasts are magnificent; I have a food intolerance (cannot eat animal fat) but Alison catered for this, providing fully-skimmed milk and Flora, with no fuss. Since returning home I have been recommending the Claremont to friends, neighbours, colleagues - anyone who crosses my path actually! I hope to make a return visit in the future.

Room Tip: Anyone wanting a single would be well placed in Room 2 as the shared bathroom is very rarely used ex...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Andrea P
1mapfan, Owner at The Claremont, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thank you Andrea for writing such lovely words following your stay with us.
Alison enjoyed hearing all about your travels around The Fylde, each morning at breakfast.
You gave us some ideas of places to go ourselves in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you again on another holiday in the area.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We were in room 3 and while the bathroom was small, the room was fine and spotlessly clean with large fluffy towels, nice bedding. Lovely fresh full english breakfast well served. The coast is at the end of the street. The service was really good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whitecat17

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
Hopefully you will come to the area again especially the proms concert again next year.
Many thanks for taking time to review our guest house