“2 nights at Carlton Hotel”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Carlton Hotel
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“2 nights at Carlton Hotel”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here with a late booking for 2 nights last weekend. The hotel is very clean and staff very helpful.................However the mattresses on the beds were poor., My friend in a separate room had springs directly under the mattress cover............using the duvet from a spare bed underneath the bottom sheet helped . My room was spacious with a sea view. It was a family room with double and 2 singles...............I used the duvets from the 2 singles under the double bed which I used...Had a good nights sleep. A private party on the Saturday night had very loud music until at least 12.30 am which boomed way up to my room on the 2nd floor.........that really spoiled our experience!!! Even worse for my friend on the first floor....................!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Hi iv just stayed at this lovely family run hotel which I have to say was superb run business.
I have no complaints the rooms excellent not only for me but catters for disabled people with a lift.
The staff excellent especially dark haired girl name I think lu lu a highly experienced member of staff,
Again I would definitely go back here again an I hope its sooner rather than later, the views breath taking an there loads to do with swimming pool an cinema and mini golf course opposite hotel all within stones throw the town 2mins away by foot an lovely, this is a great place to visit an have lovely holiday with your family I definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends family and like I said can't wait go back.

Room Tip: Sea view excellent :)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights on a B & B basis. We had asked on the phone if there was parking and we were told there was but on arrival there was only room for 6 cars and as there are 18 rooms it was totally full up. We were then directed to one of the nearby streets which was a problem as my mother has mobility issues. Room was spacious as was for 4 people, with a lovely sea view. However, it obviously hadn't been cleaned because the carpet needed a good hoover and someone had left a surprise on the rim of the toilet bowl.

On now to breakfast. We went down expecting a nice breakfast to find no staff, a few packs of cereal and an empty jug where juice had been. Also some jam and cream scones which looked as if they had been there for some time. When the girl finally came out she told us you had to buy an English breakfast at £6.95 and that the option for the B and B rate was a luxury continental breakfast. Could not see anything basic about it, nevermind luxury. It does not say it is a continental breakfast on the website although she assured us it had been updated. We asked for toast and got 10 pieces but there were 3 of us.

All in all, a poor shabby place. The only reedeaming factor was it's perfect sea view location. Forget it if you have a car to get parked or mobility issues. Astronomic rates for a dirty run-down place even with the addition of its new coffee shop. Not helped by a random DJ thumping out music. Did not seem very fitting in the surroundings of what is usually a tranquil town.

To cap it all off I misplaced my expensive prescription glasses so had to lift the bed to see if they had fallen underneath and met all sorts of horrors down there, which would be detrimental to your health if I detailled them all here.

If you have any sense, stay away! And no, I never did find my glasses.

• Stayed April 2014
Roger B, Owner at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
In response to quasimodo01
• £25 p.p.p.n. for a sea view room is not overpriced in anyone’s book. (special price given at time of booking)
• We only have 15 letting rooms and six parking spaces on site however parking across from the hotel is free and no time limit. Of course on a beautiful sunny Good Friday parking will be a problem in any seaside town.
• Our Continental Breakfast consists of 6 varieties of cereal; fresh fruit; plain yoghurt; flavoured yoghurt; fromage frais; apple and orange juice; tea and coffee; scone, Danish pastries and croissants freshly baked daily – all of which is unlimited.
• Our DJ actually works for a radio station – the music was enjoyed by all guests and customers and finished at 8:30pm.
• We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and any deviation from this should have been reported to management.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Staff very friendly. Been on a course for the week. They looked after me very well. Washed my clothes from fire fighting course and dried my wet ones from sea survival. Breakfast was great. Will stay again

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fairreview2013
england
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Eight of us spent a night at the Carlton in November and had a pleasant stay. The hotel is spotlessly clean with parking for several cars. Two rooms had a sea view while the third looked over what was a carehome car park I think.
The rooms and public areas were spotlessly clean but as the rooms are quite spacious they did get a bit chilly, meaning we needed to use the extra oil filled radiators on top of the wall mounted ones.
The hotel is well positioned, facing the sea, close to Toby Carvery and a short walk into the town.
Breakfast is served in the airy and bright basement and was served at 9am prompt - there didn't seem to be any choice in the time you got breakfast which is a bit odd but the food was nicely prepared. Would have been nice to see hash browns on the menu too (just a personal favourite of mine!!)
You can catch a bus into Blackpool (about 20 / 25 minute journey) from the main town area which is a ten minute walk from the hotel.
We bought £3.50 all day tickets from a newsagent (costs more if you buy on the bus), these allow you unlimited trips on certain local buses and trams. Just check before you buy as there seem to be different tickets and they can all only be used on certain buses and routes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank collymarps
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel is on the front, has some parking and is reasonably clean and comfortable. Bedroom nice and warm and cosy with all we needed, shower didnt work too good tho and had a bit of gunge at the bottom. The downside was the when we arrived the owner was out so the bar manager checked us in which was fine, however, I went down a couple of times to ask a couple of questions and there was no one about at all, until a bit later. Owner very pleasant lady who served the breakfast herself, which we felt had been pre-cooked, bacon was burnt, but good quality, no choice of egg - poached, served on a slice of toast which of course became soggy!! the cooked breakfast wasnt brill, but there was fresh juices, grapefruit and prunes, cereals plus toast and marmalade, coffee and tea in large flasks on the table for you to help yourself. No signs to the dining room, but plenty of other notices everywhere, so wondered why no sign to this, we found it however. All I can say was it served our purpose for a one night stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Valueformoney124
Knottingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We spent 2 nights here, it was a pleasure. My sister-in-law was with us & she is disabled, so it was a Godsend that there was a lift. Both rooms were on the 1st floor with seaviews, rooms 7&8.
The rooms are very clean & spacious, the breakfast was delicious & ample. We found an excellent Chinese/Thai restaurant - The Zen not far away from the hotel. Would love to visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms 7&8 on the 1st floor are superb with seaviews.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scouserinty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lytham St Anne's
Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel
Best Western Plus Blackpool Lyth...
#4 of 16 in Lytham St Anne's
#7 of 16 in Lytham St Anne's
St. Ives Hotel
St. Ives Hotel
#1 of 1 in St. Annes-on-Sea

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!