“A cracking find”
Review of Cumbria Hotel

Cumbria Hotel
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I stayed here for a night recently & was not dissapointed.

This is a lovely, clean, well run establishment & I would not hesitate to stay here again.

My room was maybe a little dated, but more importantly it was immaculate, very clean & well presented, it is what it is, a small family B&B business, I wasnt expecting a modern "Holiday Inn" set up.

The breakfast in the morning was good, the service I recevied from the owners was great, its in a good but quiet location, the hotel has a small car park, but in my opinion your better just to park on the street outside, its a big wide road, with plenty free parking.

For the price I paid, I cant really fault them at all.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KandJ080212

Reviewed 3 March 2013

booked through laterooms. note pay on arrival. have stayed at the Cumbrian about 3 times now. Very welcoming hosts. a Very homely feel to the establishment. just off Clifton Drive and nr to the Front, very handy for bus routes to Blackpool,Lytham and Preston (no7). very quiet area just outside St Annes. no worries about hotel or road side parking. Handy for a chemist. Rooms quite comfortable. breakfast quite nice..overal great B&B for a 1 night stay, all you need to bring are your clothes and toiletries the rest is catered for.

Room Tip: Have only stayed in room1..street very quiet so no preference.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Merseyside_walkers
Reviewed 6 November 2012

very good value for money beds comfortable and warm cooked breakfast very good and plenty of extras near to sea front and a short walk from town also near to bus service

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabethnewbold
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We had a lovely short stay at the cumbria hotel 41 derbe road, lytham st annes fky8 lnj. food was lovely, room spotless. Doug and Diane made you very wecome we would go back there.

Kay and Jimmy hamilton.
Barbara and john mcgoawn

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kay186
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Upon arrival it does look very tired from outside, cigarette ends up towards the front door.

Not a brill first impression, but hey, its a room i want.

Greeted by the gentleman owner ( doug?) very polite, and handed over our card receipt as we paid in advance ( noticed a £2 debit card charge had been applied, i wasnt aware that this existed or could still be charged)

anyways, onto the room,
We were top floor and room 7.

Upon first impressions, it was ok, yes a dated room but it had the basics.

So we decided to get our settled then pop for some food.

During unpacking i noticed more and more problems/issues.

There was crumbs and dirt all over the kitchenette area, the taps had mould and limescale all over them, there was dust everywhere.

In the bathroom, slightly disappointed that we had no shower, bathroom its self was ok, still the same limescale and dust etc everywhere,

the last straw for us, was when we pulled back the bed covers to be greeted by black hairs, there were even more on the towels.

I popped down to the reception area, and again spoke to the gentlemen about the issues, and he replied " ill take the comments on board" and the cleanliness issue was down to there cleaner being on holiday! ( not what i wanted to hear)

Less than an hour later a knock at the door to be greeted by the other owner (dianne?)

She apologised about the problems and asked to come in and look,

She seemed very shocked and was very apologetic,

She left, and then 10 minutes later returned, offering us another room to shower in ( very happy with that ) and also a small refund for the other problems.

Now,

Overall the hotel, is dated, but its an old b&b,
The breakfast was good,
The bed was comfy

The only down side for me was cleanliness, and after paying £62 for 1 night, i did expect it to be clean.

So all in all 6/10

will upload photos when i get chance

Room Tip: When booking, ask about showers, not all rooms have them (not in room 7) wifi signal poor in room 7
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mattyblue1983
funtimegirldance, Owner at Cumbria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated as constructive criticism is extremely important to us as it helps us to continually improve our business.

I had been away for a couple of days and had just returned when I was informed that you were unhappy with the condition of your room. I went straight to your room and you informed me that there were crumbs on the kitchenette surface area but when I looked I was unable to see any, as you had wiped them up and you had clearly been using the area yourselves. The kitchen taps did have a small build up of limescale around the hot tap and this has now been dealt with. I asked you what other problems you had, had with the room and you informed me there was dust behind the T.V, as the flat screen TV is fastened to the wall securely and you switch it on using a remote control. I was shocked and apologetic as I was genuinely unaware that it could be slightly moved from the wall and I could clearly see a build up of dust and this has since also been actioned.

To read in your review that the bed covers and towels had black hairs on them and was “the last straw for you” has left us astounded. We are shocked & surprised you actually stayed the night with us. When I spoke to you and inspected your room I am astonished that NO mention was made of this and your female partner was infact lying inside the bed dozing at the time of the visit and when you departed your room the next day all the towels were wet and had clearly been used.

Your overall marks for staying with us was a 6/10 which under the circumstances we are extremely happy with and as a gesture of goodwill we did however refunded £20.00, which I insisted you take.

Room 7 is the only room that doesn’t have a shower but does have a bath and we provide a rubber hose/shower that fits around the taps for guests to use.

We are sorry on this occasion we didn't live up to our excellent reputation.
Thank you again for your feedback and we would like to sincerely apologize once again for all the inconvenience caused and that we have failed to meet your expectations during your stay at Cumbria Hotel.

Regards
Diane and Doug
Resident proprietors

Reviewed 27 August 2012

This hotel may not be on the front at St Anns but i have found this to an advantage. Parking was free and easy to find right outside the hotel. i could have parked on the hotel car park as there was space but decided to park just on the road outside and found it to be safe and secure.
Nothing has been a problem or to much trouble at the hotel, Diane the owner in particular has been so helpful even down to changing a light bulb at an unsocial hour this was not an issue.
My wife and i are on an healthy eating program and specified porridge and fresh fruit before we booked and we have not been disappointed our breakfast has been excellent, we would like to thank Diane and Doug for making our stay very special. We will be coming back and will be recommending the Cumbria Hotel to all our friends.
The Hotel is spotless, quiet, a real hidden gem which you need to find and use as you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Top floor is like a whole apartment!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M
funtimegirldance, Owner at Cumbria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Thank you for your comments - feedback especially good is extremely important to us, especially in this current climate. We pride ourselves in trying to accomodate all our guest special requirements and hope to see you again at the Cumbria Hotel

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Myself and several work colleagues stayed here for four months while working for the Open Golf 2012. My wife and 6 month old son also came and stayed on several occasions. The rooms are always clean and well kept, good wifi coverage was a bonus for my skype calls back home. Breakfasts were very good and with a varied choice including fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurts, fresh orange, tea and filtered coffee. Just ask a day in advance if you would prefer something different other than the Full English for a hot breakfast, you really do get looked after here. Both Doug and Diane were great hosts, very attentive and nothing was too much trouble for them. We can't thank them enough for making their hotel a real home away from home for us from day one right to the end of our stay. Recommended.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Craig M

Thank you. for your kind praise it's always good to get feedback from all our guests. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again soon.