“Another wonderful break at the Dalmeny”

Dalmeny Resort Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
gr manchester uk
“Another wonderful break at the Dalmeny”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

As usual the staff were welcoming and any requests we asked for were immediately granted. We had a really great time; the children are a little older now and didn't feel the need to be entertained all the time, but still it was there if they wanted to use it. There is always a happy atmosphere in the Dalmeny and that is what makes it so enjoyable.
The food was very good and this year we decided to try out the alternatives (ie the bar restaurant one night and the Atrium another). We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Our only must is a premier room with a balcony on the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hingeandbracket
ZoeR1, General Manager at Dalmeny Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you for your very positive comments. It is always pleasing to welcome back regular guests, and especially to learn that you enjoyed your stay

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the not too distant future

zrobertson@dalmenyhotel.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Dalmeny having stayed here before 10 years ago. The receptionist on arrival was helpful and the check-in seemless and quick. My parents had a premier room on the first floor and myself and two children had a standard family room. The premier room was lovely, large, bright and very clean. Our room on the second floor (room 210) was fine - very small but clean and as we did not intend to spend much time in there was fine for our stay. However, on returning to the room after the girls had had a good swim, the noise from the room above was unbearable. We stuck it out for over an hour but then went to reception to see if we could change rooms as the noise from the children and adults was so loud we could hear just about everything they said - as well as all the jumping, dancing and banging about.

I did understand it is a family hotel and I am a very child friendly person but this was too much. The gentleman on reception was great - very understanding and offered to move us further along the corridor but unfortunately this room also had a family room above with ont quite so much noise but really not much better. He explained the hotel was virtually full and if we could put up with it for that night, he had a ground floor room available for the last two nights of our stay. The following day we spent most of it on a rain soaked Pleasure Beach so it was a lovely surprise when we returned and moved to room 53 to find we had a Premier room - very large with a little patio and garden and most importantly no noise! We all three had a wonderful nights sleep and on checking out found the hotel had not charged us for the upgrade. I have read the varying reviews on the hotel and yes, it is a 3 star and yes it is tired in places but the service we received regarding our room change could not be faulted.

We did not eat in the hotel as there are many great places in St. Annes and we thought the price of the hotel buffet breakfast was very expensive at £12 per adult and £10 per child so we just walked 5 minutes across the road to the Toby Carvery - all you can eat, freshly cooked full English, toast, tea etc for less than £6.00 per adult and £4.00 per child - this was excellent value and a nice cosy place to eat in.

I would stay at the Dalmeny again but ensure I have a room with no family room above and would book a premier room not standard. The cost of our standard room with one double and one single bed was £84 which I felt on the high side for the size of the room. We did have a sea view but the small ledge outside the window was full of cigarette ends which I thought was pretty shabby. The other thing I thought was poor was that there was some building work going on down the corridor right outside our room so had to squeeze past the wheelbarrow full of plaster and rubbish with all our bags and the guys started work again promptly at 9am - again not good having paid £84! However, all this said, room 53 more than made up for it all!

It is great for the children with the pool etc and the beach virtually opposite.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Fredjous
Thank you for your constructive comments.

I was sorry to hear of the problems you encountered with noise levels in the original room allocated for your stay, and I was extremely pleased that our Reception staff managed to move you into a more acceptable room for the final few nights. I note that they moved you to a Premier Room at no extra charge

It was unfortunate that we did have building work in progress during your stay. We are currently creating four upgraded family rooms, and it is hoped that these will be available for sale in the next few weeks. Indeed we have now embarked on an extensive refurbishment programme, which will result in all rooms receiving attention in order to update them

I hope that, despite your initial disappointment, you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again on a future occasion

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Was extremely disappointed with the stay and will never stay there again. Reason being I booked 2 nights stay for myself and 4 children, 2 girls 14 and twin boys 11. After being out all day at the pleasure beach we returned at 5.30 and weren't able to park at the from so I had to park at the rear of the hotel, I rang the door bell and we waited for about 5 mins but the door wouldn't open, in the end I used my mobile to call the reception to be told there was a power cut and we would have to walk round to the front, I explained how we were all tired and couldn't do that, the receptionist said that's the only choice. Luckily after I hung up a guest let us in. We managed to get to our room in the darkness thanks to our mobile phone lights but it was very dangerous. Our room had no power therefore we couldnt stay there so we went straight to reception to arrange dinner ASAP. We were told they didn't know when the power would be back on. I Was snnoyed as we had been put sll day and i was looking firward to relaxing And having a bath before dinner, also the kids wanted to chill as welll. After having dinner the hotel was packed there was no room to sit and as we couldn't go back to the room we went for a drive as I needed to charge my mobile using the car charger. We got back about 9.30 again there were no seats free so we went straight to the room luckily there was power again. After sorting out the kids I was just about asleep when the occupants of the room above returned this was about midnight. There was so much noise with the walking about etc. also there was a high pitch noise like a tap had been left on I phoned reception to complain and the man checked it out and went to see the people in the room above and the noise stopped. So after all this I was never given any apology at all even when we checked out there was non. So what was supposed to be an enjoyable couple days break deffinatly wasn't hence why I will never go back.

• Stayed March 2012
ZoeR1, General Manager at Dalmeny Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed in your recent stay and the service you received. Unfortunately the power cut was beyond our control, however you should have been offered an apology for the inconvenience caused, I would put this down to a training issue and I can assure you this matter has been dealt with.
It is unfortunate you were also disturbed by a fellow guest but I am glad to hear that after reporting the noise to reception, it stopped.
As you can see from the majority of the other customer reviews, the Dalmeny Hotel generally has a great reputation as a family hotel which offers excellent customer service.
The incidents you experienced are not typical of a stay at the Dalmeny and I would like you to contact me directly to discuss the matter further.
I do hope you will re-consider and visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact me by emailing zrobertson@dalmenyhotel.co.uk
Zoe Robertson
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We could not use the pool when we liked because we had to share it with children and adults having swimming lessons and water areobics. The restaurant food was not of a good standard and when we ordered coffee the waitress had to go to the cafe bar to get us one and bring it back, the tables were not dressed for dinner i.e tablecloths etc. Pictures on the web site and around the hotel make the dining room look very inviting and it was nothing like that when you actually went in. Every member of staff that we encountered were very friendly and helpful. 10/10 for staff and 3/10 for everything else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments, we appreciate customer feedback which helps us to improve the service and facilities we offer.
I am sorry you were inconvenienced due to the pool activities, however we do like to provide a variety of leisure facilities to cater for children and adults alike; residents are welcome to join in with the aqua aerobics for a charge of £4; the times are readily available at our leisure desk. If you prefer to avoid these activities I would contact our leisure reception staff members who will be happy to advise a quieter time to use the pool, for a more relaxed swim. Please note that you are still welcome to use the deep end of the pool for swimming during any classes. Also the baby pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room is available free of charge.
I do hope this has not deterred you from returning to the hotel as we feel the Dalmeny has a lot to offer all types of guests, however due to the diversity of activities I would highly recommend pre-planning, to ensure the facilities are available at your preferred time.
The Atrium Brasserie is a bistro restaurant with an informal contemporary style, therefore we do not cloth tables for dinner, I am sorry if this was not to your liking. Some photo's you may have seen on our marketing material will be of a function layout, I apologise if you have found this misleading.
It was very encouraging to hear you found the staff friendly and helpful, we appreciate your kind comments.
Please do not hesitate to contact me direct by emailing zrobertson@dalmenyhotel.co.uk
Zoe Robertson
Staffordshire
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Just returned from a three night break at this hotel. We found the hotel was in a lovely location on the promenade and close to the Pier. We were in Room 155 (very quiet and peaceful) and a very large size room - with two queen size beds and a single bed. It has his and her sinks, a bath and walk in shower. It also has a balcony of a decent size to relax and enjoy the view of the sea. Unfortunately, people in a nearby room were smoking on their balcony which rather spoiled the fresh sea air. (not the hotel's fault, just other disrespectful guests).

The food was excellent - buffet breakfast - with food freshly cooked and hot - lovely selection of fruit and cereals and a nice pot of tea. The evening meal is waiter service and a different menu each evening - the BBQ ribs and the stilton/broccoli soup were excellent starters and the fish meals were superb. The waiters and waitresses were extremely accommodatingand friendly.

We found the swimming pool excellent and the staff were very helpful in accommodating my husband in the disabled changing room on the pool side. Small problem with the locker keys in the ladies changing rooms - some maintenance work needed on them to get them to lock/unlock.

One negative - there was a cycle race along the promenade when we arrived, therefore, the roads to the promenade were closed; we, therefore, had difficulty getting to the front of the hotel and had to park on the rear car park and access the hotel from the rear which involved steps and my husband has difficulty walking, therefore, it would have been helpful if the hotel had informed us of this when booking. When we mentioned this difficulty on arrival to the two receptionists they appeared unhelpful.

Room Tip: Room 155 - very large - quiet - excellent view - first floor with good lift access
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ZoeR1, General Manager at Dalmeny Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that, overall you enjoyed your stay at The Dalmeny, although I was concerned to learn of the problem you encountered when trying to lock and unlock the doors on the lockers in the Leisure Club changing rooms. I have passed your comments on to our Leisure Club Manager, who will act to remedy this situation without delay

Please accept my sincere apologies for the way in which your observations on the closure of the promenade were dealt with. In the first instance, we should have pre warned guests of this situation, and secondly, I was very disappointed to learn of the Receptionists reaction when you brought this matter to their attention. I do appreciate the considerable inconvenience caused to yourself on this occasion

Despite these isolated problems, I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future, and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Dalmeny personally

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Stayed here recently for 4 nights dinner B&B, we were upgraded to premier rooms which were very spacious and well equipped, with excellent large bathrooms and balconies. The rooms were very quiet with good sound insulation between rooms which was appreciated.To a man and woman the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Particularly enjoyed the dinners, whist the table d'hote was limited and a little repetitive, the a la carte menu had a wide choice and the allowance was generous. The location is excellent and always found a space in the car park. Will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
ZoeR1, General Manager at Dalmeny Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. I was delighted to read your glowing report, and have passed this on to my staff, it will make their day.

I hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon

Reviewed 12 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a week at this hotel. Having spent most of her childhood coming here year after year 30 odd years ago along with many other families we were unsure as to what to expect, However all I can say is wow! The hotel has clearly had a major refurb with a lot of extensive facelifting and surgery going on throughout as it was very different to how she had remembered it.
I had originally booked online and unsure as to the room I had booked I contacted reception the night prior to our arrival and asked about this, I asked for an honest opinion and I got one from the very polite and friendly receptionist who recommended I upgraded the room to one of the newer rooms as I had requested a sea view... I had no objections to this and on arrival to our room was greeted by a room bigger than our house!!! Instantly I went back to reception and thanked her for her advise, I do not mind paying when i am staying for a week and I have never felt so relaxed after seeing that room. very clean every facility needed and perfect view over the sea.
The hotel is a myriad of spaces and lounges and quiet areas to read and relax and although not busy when we stayed, i can imagine it very easy still to find your "own" little space if needed.
The pool and gym area were amazing, again very clean and attentive staff at reception area made it a bit more special, a good morning with my first name by the second day made it even more special that the staff took the time to notice these little things.
We ate in the indigo bar on a couple of the nights as we were informed the restaurant would unlikely be open due to being quiet, this was fine as the menu was the same and the quality of the food was absolutely first class, again the bar staff were very friendly and attentive.
Having a very stressful job and normally looking to go abroad for a break all I can say is why? when we have a hotel like this to visit I can assure you we will definitely be returning and wish you and your staff continued success.

Gary and Lynne Gibb

Room Tip: newer rooms with balcony are enormous and very very quiet....
4 Thank Garygibb
ZoeR1, General Manager at Dalmeny Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
'Wow' indeed. It really made our day to read your very comlimentary review. We are continually striving to update the hotel, but it is a very difficult and slow process during the current economic climate. However, we are getting there, and it is lovely to get such positive feedback. Thank you

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lytham St Anne's
Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel
Best Western Plus Blackpool Lyth...
#4 of 16 in Lytham St Anne's
#12 of 16 in Lytham St Anne's
Clifton Park Hotel
Clifton Park Hotel
#6 of 16 in Lytham St Anne's

Been to Dalmeny Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!