“Certainly not the Best”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Certainly not the Best”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Corporate booking for a double room booked two weeks in advance, on arrival only a single room available, hotel was full, so no alternative available, bad start.

Location is good, hotel overlooks the sea and is located in a fairly quiet stretch, good size free car park with additional parking on the road.
Hotel facade par for the course in Lytham -certainly not the modern box high rise but slightly whiffs of guest house.
Reception fairly smart, despite the room mix up, the staff encountered were very professional.
Hotel is full of corridors and poor signage to rooms, a real rabbit warren, appears to be several buildings knocked through, room 127 was a good size, however everything in the room was dated, it looked like it was once a sitting room with a chimney breast and a high ceiling and a 70's chandelier light fitting, yellowing plastic hair drier attached to the wall, only a few plug sockets at one end of the room which had blackened faces, the room was very warm, the window only opened an inch, room overlooked rear of building, scruffy flat room and what looked like an abandoned window to a room that didn't exist with peeling paint - very poor and unwelcoming.
The shows room did not have a bath, tiles in good order although wallpapered ceiling had mold, single old style shower cubicle, Mira shower which was absolutely useless, not powered and it dribbled water out - if you are gong to have a shower only bathroom, you need a shower that works, honestly, this was not up to spec.
Complimentary shower gel was good quality and the sink was new bizarrely, everything clean, extractor fan really noisy.

Television was oddly presented on a low tv stand which could not be seen from my single bed.

I would not consider this a modern 3 star hotel, I was extremely disappointed to not have the room booked which was also baking hot and stuffy, I will have to avoid when staying in Lytham on business, I felt the rooms photos on the website are really, really misleading as I had a dated room with dated furnishings, not the modern items photographed.

Room Tip: Sea view would be good and a double bed, however in my experience what you book and get are two diff...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CRD76
VictoriaC72, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to hear there was some confusion regarding the room you had booked, it was an error on our behalf, and for that I sincerely apologise.
I hope that you would consider returning to stay with us again so that we may provide you with a superior experience.

Many thanks for the feedback.
Best Regards
Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I booked the Glendower for my wedding after being really impressed with their attitude and package. They continued to work with a very excited and creative bride and groom plying them with idea after idea and challenge after challenge and never failed to be helpful and positive.

There were a few issues around checking in but these were rapidly resolved and my mum and I were soon settled in. We were able to go through last details and had a very relaxed day before, enjoying seeing our other guests arrive.

On the day, the staff surpassed all our expectations (which had been pretty high to begin with!) Their flexibility, patience and enthusiasm helped pull everything together and ensure that we and our guests had a superb time.

The food was uniformly excellent and the service outstanding. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blueroses1910
Hello again,

Big congratulations to you both once again, I must say it was one of the most individual and creative weddings I have ever had the pleasure of working with, the commitment to staying true to yourselves as a couple and creating a beautiful wedding day was evident from day 1.
It was a true pleasure to be part of your special day and the team and I are really grateful for you taking the time to write a review.

With every best wish for the future
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Nice check in, went smoothly. No lift at all, so hubby lugged up to 2nd floor. small cramped double room. Noisy from air conditioner somewhere outside. Thinking gladly that I had only 1 night here. Place overun with a wedding party.
Restaurant pleasant and food looked nice but someone thought it was a good idea to have entertainment in here - not a good idea - people seemed to leave quickly - glad we had our meal early!.
Breakfast good if you like full english - if you like continental, forget it!...... No yoghurts, nice bread, pastries, or fruit. Cereal only. This is the north! egg, sausage and beans and fried bread, complete with cholestrol!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank myscreen22
VictoriaC72, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Hello there,

I am really sorry to read your review of your encounter here with us at the hotel. I do appreciate that some rooms are larger than others, and I note you booked a compact classic which I do agree are not the largest of rooms hence the name. As regards our breakfast, as standard we have a selection of 6 cereals, selection of yogurts, fruits fresh and dried, nuts and seeds, a selection of pastries croissants, pain au chocolat, & muffins. Cooked freshly to order Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Egg's, Smoked Haddock, Manx Kippers and Eggs Benedict.
We are very proud of our northern heritage and of course on our full breakfast you will encounter Black Pudding along with the full works
I would be more than happy to discuss with you ways that we can improve our selections at breakfast. We genuinely want to provide our guests with the best we can offer, and I would be happy to hear of any suggestions you may have of improving our offering.

Kind Regards
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Quite a few of us stayed in April 2013 for our cousins silver wedding (they had their wedding reception there 25yrs ago). Everything was perfect from the party to the accommodation & food.
Would def stay again, lovely place, friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Good Evening,

Thank you for your short but sweet review, we appreciate all feedback good and bad. We are constantly striving to exceed our customers expectations and are delighted we managed to do so for your family party.
Please do consider us for any events large or small that you are considering, we are happy to help ( I think that may be someone else's strap line, but true all the same) !!!

Once again many thanks
Polegate
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We had room 118 which has walls thin enough to hear the next room using the toilet and then wait while the cistern filled. The room itself is not bad and the bathroom adequate.
We were unfortunate that our next door customers "entertained" thier men friends in a rowdy manner until about 3am. Even after two visits by the night porter they stil persisted until with a slam of the door we were then able to get some sleep.
It was said next morning that they were Best Western employees from another hotel!

The breakfast was a bit of hit and miss with the poached eggs tasting only of vinegar and some sausages under cooked.

They evening menu was overpriced.

Room Tip: Do not book rooms 118/120
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Good Evening,
I was very disappointed to read your review of the hotel, it is every customer's right to expect a decent nights sleep no matter which grade of room they have paid for or for what price. I am personally looking into the details of the individuals involved that kept you awake and can ensure the matter will be dealt with at the highest level.
I would really appreciate it, if you could contact me personally so that I may make a gesture of goodwill on your return to the hotel.

Best Regards
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We had our wedding at the Glendower Hotel in Lytham, St Annes on 25th May 2013. I cannot thank the staff enough for how perfect the day was. From the day we met with Victoria and all the staff and booked our wedding, everything just ran so smoothly. All the staff including the reception staff, the kitchen staff, the serving staff, the office staff, the chambermaids, everyone, literally made our day run so efficienlty. The rooms were amazing and with half our guests travelling from Ireland and from all over the UK it made us feel so relaxed that all was in hand, and I have to say the food was amazing and enjoyed by everyone. Thank you so much to everyone at the Glendower you made our day so special. Eveyone had such a brilliant time and that is because of how accomodating you were, I cannot speak highly enough of you all. Thank you, Paul and Elizabeth

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely however if you can go for a sea view room they are lovely and bright.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth K
VictoriaC72, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Hi there,

On behalf of the entire team we would like to thank you both for choosing us for your wonderful wedding. It was an absolute pleasure to be part of the organisation of your big day and I am so pleased you were happy, we had a lot of great feedback from your guests also. I hope you had a wonderful honeymoon, and myself and all the staff with you every happiness for the future.

Very Best Wishes
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed my stay here. Management were very welcoming and helpful. Rooms were cosy and clean. Nice to have a good gym downstairs. Don't try to use the other gym...it's private and they don't like you looking never mind breathing inside it! Great breakfast in the hotel. Good experience!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Jamesy321
VictoriaC72, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Hi there,
I am delighted to hear that you found us to be friendly and enjoyed your breakfast. The private studio is for one on one personal training and having endured a session or two myself I can highly recommend it, however don't expect to be able to lift or carry anything for the next 48 hours its intense !!

We hope to see you again soon !!
Kind Regards