“The Biggest is Not Always The Best”

BEST WESTERN Glendower Hotel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Preston, United Kingdom
“The Biggest is Not Always The Best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

It is some years since I last visited The Glendower so it was nice to see the recent upgrades. The entrance foyer is light, airy and modern, leading to the older areas which are more traditionally decorated but have an air of quiet grandeur.

The meal for 18 private diners was held in a very nicely furnished small dining room - the table settings were immaculate, the service quietly efficient and very friendly.

The meal proved to be extremely good value for money - beautiful presentation and very well cooked. Portions were more than adequate.

Well worth a Sunday Lunch / Afternoon tea visit.Generous car park was an added bonus.

The moral of the story is that there are plenty of gems hidden just off the beaten track and Biggest is not always best

.Well worth a 400 yard stroll away from the obvious larger establishments

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
VictoriaC72, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Glendower Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Good Morning,

I am so pleased that you had a lovely day with us here at the hotel, I will pass on your great comments to the team and I also appreciate you taking the time to write your great review.
We hope to see you in the hotel soon, and please do not hesitate to contact me should I be able to assist you with planning any further events.

Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Very friendly and helpful at reception, small room at the back of the hotel was adequate for me, nice bathroom. Chaotic at breakfast with items missing from the tables every morning, tasteless coffee and tea. Staff got both cooked breakfast orders wrong on the first morning but this was quickly rectified. The hotel was clean and the rooms well maintained and despite the blips at breakfast would stay again if in the area, nice little gym as well.

Room Tip: Sea view would obviously be preferable
Good Morning,

We are indeed seeing some of the best views we have had during this lovely sunny period. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us what you liked about your stay, and I am pleased the service at breakfast was rectified due to a training issue.
We certainly hope you will return to us some time in the not too distant future.

Best Wishes
Horsham, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Corporate Booking on this visit. My room was on the top floor with no view at all, except for other building roofs but at the same time, I was there on business so reckon the nice views would be kept for people on holiday. The hotel was easy to find on the promenade with a good sized car park and plenty in the road, where I parked my oversized car.
The hotel does have a lift but apparently it is not very central and would have sent me via a weird route, the most direct being up 2 large staircases, but I was offered assistance with my bags.
The room was an alright size, double bed, large TV, bath / shower and everything was very clean. However, it was a warm day / night surfing my stay and my my did I regret not asking for a fan, most of my colleagues did and I blame myself for that.
Breakfast time, wonderful a really good service with food made fresh and lots of options, this hotel gets 10/10 for breakfast, great service.
Staff were always polite at all times and were there to look after you.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hello There,

Thanks you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our food and service and that we got a 10/10. Air conditioning would be a god send during this unexpectedly hot period, and if we could guarantee it would be put to good use at least a couple of months every summer we would certainly consider installing it.

Thank you once again for your positive feedback.

Windsor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Corporate booking for a double room booked two weeks in advance, on arrival only a single room available, hotel was full, so no alternative available, bad start.

Location is good, hotel overlooks the sea and is located in a fairly quiet stretch, good size free car park with additional parking on the road.
Hotel facade par for the course in Lytham -certainly not the modern box high rise but slightly whiffs of guest house.
Reception fairly smart, despite the room mix up, the staff encountered were very professional.
Hotel is full of corridors and poor signage to rooms, a real rabbit warren, appears to be several buildings knocked through, room 127 was a good size, however everything in the room was dated, it looked like it was once a sitting room with a chimney breast and a high ceiling and a 70's chandelier light fitting, yellowing plastic hair drier attached to the wall, only a few plug sockets at one end of the room which had blackened faces, the room was very warm, the window only opened an inch, room overlooked rear of building, scruffy flat room and what looked like an abandoned window to a room that didn't exist with peeling paint - very poor and unwelcoming.
The shows room did not have a bath, tiles in good order although wallpapered ceiling had mold, single old style shower cubicle, Mira shower which was absolutely useless, not powered and it dribbled water out - if you are gong to have a shower only bathroom, you need a shower that works, honestly, this was not up to spec.
Complimentary shower gel was good quality and the sink was new bizarrely, everything clean, extractor fan really noisy.

Television was oddly presented on a low tv stand which could not be seen from my single bed.

I would not consider this a modern 3 star hotel, I was extremely disappointed to not have the room booked which was also baking hot and stuffy, I will have to avoid when staying in Lytham on business, I felt the rooms photos on the website are really, really misleading as I had a dated room with dated furnishings, not the modern items photographed.

Room Tip: Sea view would be good and a double bed, however in my experience what you book and get are two diff...
1 Thank CRD76
Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to hear there was some confusion regarding the room you had booked, it was an error on our behalf, and for that I sincerely apologise.
I hope that you would consider returning to stay with us again so that we may provide you with a superior experience.

Many thanks for the feedback.
Best Regards
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I booked the Glendower for my wedding after being really impressed with their attitude and package. They continued to work with a very excited and creative bride and groom plying them with idea after idea and challenge after challenge and never failed to be helpful and positive.

There were a few issues around checking in but these were rapidly resolved and my mum and I were soon settled in. We were able to go through last details and had a very relaxed day before, enjoying seeing our other guests arrive.

On the day, the staff surpassed all our expectations (which had been pretty high to begin with!) Their flexibility, patience and enthusiasm helped pull everything together and ensure that we and our guests had a superb time.

The food was uniformly excellent and the service outstanding. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blueroses1910
Hello again,

Big congratulations to you both once again, I must say it was one of the most individual and creative weddings I have ever had the pleasure of working with, the commitment to staying true to yourselves as a couple and creating a beautiful wedding day was evident from day 1.
It was a true pleasure to be part of your special day and the team and I are really grateful for you taking the time to write a review.

With every best wish for the future
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

Nice check in, went smoothly. No lift at all, so hubby lugged up to 2nd floor. small cramped double room. Noisy from air conditioner somewhere outside. Thinking gladly that I had only 1 night here. Place overun with a wedding party.
Restaurant pleasant and food looked nice but someone thought it was a good idea to have entertainment in here - not a good idea - people seemed to leave quickly - glad we had our meal early!.
Breakfast good if you like full english - if you like continental, forget it!...... No yoghurts, nice bread, pastries, or fruit. Cereal only. This is the north! egg, sausage and beans and fried bread, complete with cholestrol!

1 Thank myscreen22
VictoriaC72, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Glendower Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Hello there,

I am really sorry to read your review of your encounter here with us at the hotel. I do appreciate that some rooms are larger than others, and I note you booked a compact classic which I do agree are not the largest of rooms hence the name. As regards our breakfast, as standard we have a selection of 6 cereals, selection of yogurts, fruits fresh and dried, nuts and seeds, a selection of pastries croissants, pain au chocolat, & muffins. Cooked freshly to order Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Egg's, Smoked Haddock, Manx Kippers and Eggs Benedict.
We are very proud of our northern heritage and of course on our full breakfast you will encounter Black Pudding along with the full works
I would be more than happy to discuss with you ways that we can improve our selections at breakfast. We genuinely want to provide our guests with the best we can offer, and I would be happy to hear of any suggestions you may have of improving our offering.

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

Quite a few of us stayed in April 2013 for our cousins silver wedding (they had their wedding reception there 25yrs ago). Everything was perfect from the party to the accommodation & food.
Would def stay again, lovely place, friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Good Evening,

Thank you for your short but sweet review, we appreciate all feedback good and bad. We are constantly striving to exceed our customers expectations and are delighted we managed to do so for your family party.
Please do consider us for any events large or small that you are considering, we are happy to help ( I think that may be someone else's strap line, but true all the same) !!!

Once again many thanks