Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had reviewed this hotel back in 2011, when most of the review favoured the hotel, with the exception of the dining room which we had a few issues with.
After the review, Victoria kindly sent us a voucher for a free weekend, we didn't use it as we had decided at that time that we would not be back.

We recently decided to go back to Lytham St Annes, and as we trawled through the hotels, we decided to have another go at the Glendower. Both my wife and myself being vegetarian often poses us a problem, as the hotel menu's for Veges is usually very samey, and with us being there for five nights we wanted to make sure we would get something suitable for us, so I emailed Victoria and told her we had booked, and she immediately told us we would be well catered for.

We have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels in many countries over the years, and the Glendower is not one of them, but it certainly makes you feel welcome. I cannot fault the staff in any way. The room was a good size with a sea view, and the food was excellent.

When we arrived, Victoria introduced us to the head chef, and he sat down with us and asked what type of food we liked, he then printed us out a menu for the period of our visit.We just told reception after breakfast and that is what we had at dinner that night.
The food was superbly cooked and well presented, the chef is a credit to the hotel, and such a nice guy to go with it.
In fact, I was impressed with the entire staff, especially Jim who waited in the dining room, but seemed to be involved in all sorts of other tasks throughout the hotel, including the wifi.
The young girl who served us for much of the week was also very good, and took everything in her stride when serving in the dining room while a function was going on in another room.

My biggest praise was for Victoria who went out of her way to make our stay a nice one.

Well done Glendower, I would recommend you to anyone thinking of having a nice break down in St Annes, hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room, it is well worth the little bit extra.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank govanmac
VictoriaC72, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Good Afternoon,
Gosh, I'm blushing thank you so much for your high praise, I really appreciate it, as does the rest of the team. Jim says Hi I think he has been here since the hotel was built !!
We are all really delighted that we have alleviated any past issues that you may have encountered.
I do hope you will return to us again in the future.
From all the team here at the hotel we hope you have a very Happy Christmas & prosperous New Year !!
Many thanks once again

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Very average hotel considering the price of the rooms. Hotel is very dated. Creaking floor boards, 70's Decor Limited parking as well so make sure you get there early if you want a space. Room was a bit on the small size, make sure you ask for a sea view my room was at the back of the hotel and the view was grim to say the least. Bathroom was tiny!! Service in the restaurant was the only good thing, Steve in the Restaurant was very good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank aspire1500

Good Morning,
Really disappointed to read your review and that you found us to be average, that's not what we strive for here at all. We have just had the restaurant completely refurbished, and we have a continual investment programme within the hotel.
I would be delighted if you would return to stay with us so that we may provide you with a superior experience, Should you wish to return I am happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a Prestige Sea VIew Room with a complimentary Dinner in our new dining experience "Coast" .
Please contact me personally so I can arrange this for you.
Wishing you a wonderful Christmas & a Happy New Year.
Best Regards

Reviewed 12 December 2013

our daughter booked this for us on groupon £49 for overnight stay including breakfast which was really amazing best hotel breakfast I have had choice is brilliant next time we will have to sample the evening meal the restaurant is being modified so we ate out in lythom never been here before but found it quite a nice experience

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Good Evening,
The Groupon was a great little offer, look out for further offers in 2014.
I am pleased to say The Restaurant transformation is now complete, I am very happy with the way it looks and we would be delighted to welcome you back so that you may try "Coast" in the evening.
All the very best for Christmas and a healthy New Year.
Best Regards

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have been staying at the Glendower Hotel most Sundays to Thursdays since July this year. It truly is a wonderful, friendly and helpful hotel (and I have lots of hotel experience!).

The staff (in every department) are amazing, really easy to talk to and cannot be helpful enough! The food is great and the daily soup option is warming and comfortable (as well as yummy!) and they know that I like to have it cupped in my hands from a mug.

Reception always does their best to put myself and my husband in the same regular room each time we visit - which is important to me because I spend most of the day in the room working on our internet business - so the comfort of the room is paramount.

The hotel is situated right across the road from the enormous sandy beach with a little pier less than 5 minutes away. The little town of Lytham St Anne's is really quaint, only a short walk away through a lovely park, and will provide you with all your daily needs. There are also some wonderful restaurants in the town - our favourite is the Zen Thai restaurant.

There are good road and rail links, super public transport and is only 5 minutes from Blackpool where one can ride on trams (great fun) you need never be stuck for something to do day or evening.

So, if you're looking for a great hotel in the area - first choice should be the Glendower!

Room Tip: The quieter rooms are in the older part of the hotel. I won't tell you which room we always sta...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hello You !!

I hope you are well, its really very lovely of you to write a review. I know you give us lots of praise during your stays with us, and its great that you've have been returning to us so often.
We really do appreciate your continuing custom and will be honoured if you continue to stay with throughout 2014.
On behalf of the entire team we wish you both a wonderful restful Christmas and perhaps a bit of a livelier New Year!!
Warm Regards

Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife, myself and our dog stayed here for two nights at the end of November 2013. we primarily wanted a pet friendly hotel in this area and they really were pet friendly. Our shi tsu, Bruno, has Addisons disease which means he has to take steroids twice a day and can only eat fresh food, not dog food. The hotel staff were more than happy to keep Bruno's food and medication in the hotel fridge and to fetch it for us whenever we needed it. We are extremely grateful for this.
The spacious double room we were given cost no more than the nearby B&Bs of Blackpool yet was much more luxurious and set in a hotel with acres more character than a Travelodge or Premier Inn. We had a great view from our window out over the golden sands of the beach to the Irish Sea. Although there was a road between the hotel and the beach, we were not bothered by any traffic noise; in fact, it was welcomely peaceful in our room.
The restaurant, although of modern decor rather than the traditional decor of the rest of the hotel, was very good. At breakfast cooked dishes were made to order. We ate there both evenings of our stay. The menu had around eight main courses to choose from. We found the food to be cooked to perfection. Waiting staff were very friendly as were the rest of the hotel staff we encountered.
Should we have cause to stay in the area again we will definitely choose the Glendower again. Its a great, value for money hotel packed with character and helpful staff. It is just far enough outside of Blackpool to avoid all of the associated hustle and bustle and multitude of hen and stag weekends that happens there in high season.

Room Tip: Get a Best Western loyalty card for a free upgrade.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello there,
Am brimming with pride that you chose to write such an amazing review on the hotel, and the team. I have passed your excellent comments to all departments who are in turn genuinely thrilled that they contributed in their own ways to making you happy.
I am also really delighted that you mentioned your dog Bruno, after receiving negative feedback from another customer which was totally unjustified.
Any how thank you very much once again for your words.
We wish you all a very Happy Christmas & a Merry New Year.
Hopefully see you in the not too distant future.
Best Wishes

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Hotel check in very good, The room was lovely size,for two adults, 16 year old and a dog.
staff were very helpful and we had meal in the hotel which was very nice,
nice bar area to sit in
hoitel was very clean
Good choice of breakfast,
even let us sit in lounge area with our little dog as long as we kept him on his lead.
Good value for money

Room Tip: we had family room at back of hotel very large
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Good Afternoon,
So pleased to hear you had a lovely stay with us, and that yourself and your family felt comfortable.
We do hope you will return to visit us again, but in the meantime best wishes from all the team over Christmas and hope you have a great start to 2014.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Wow.. This hotel is perfect for everything . Check in When we arrived the hotel looked pretty full but there was enough parking and plenty on the road if you couldn't find a space. The check in was clear and simple, we were asked if you wanted papers, wake up ect.. From the outset you could tell this was going to be a good hotel just by the initial service. Rooms My wife, 11 year old daughter and I spent the night here just to go see the lights in Blackpool. The room were lovely. We stayed in a massive triple room with a lovely bathroom. It was all very clean and comfy.
The restaurant for the evening meal and breakfast was excellent. service was impecable......Very impressed.............We will return. Thank You.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Good Afternoon,
Very gratifying to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time during your short stay here with us, hopefully your daughter will continue to want to experience the illuminations again and that you will return to see you in 2014.
We wish you and your lovely family a wonderful Christmas and a peaceful New Year.
Warm Regards