“What a disappointment”

Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Ours was a tiny room facing a brick wall, so it was very dark even in bright sunshine. We think it was only supposed to be a single room but as we had used a booking agency and not gone direct we got it a bit cheaper (still expensive though) and suspect we were just shoved in there as a result. The fact that there was only 1 bath and hand towel confirmed our suspicions. The mattress was as hard as a breadboard and was certainly not a double bed - it wasn't even wide enough for 2 pillows to fit side by side. We have both still got backache 2 days later.
Breakfast was appalling. It was included in the price but would have cost £11.50 EACH otherwise. We were continually overlooked by the waiting staff and when our cooked food finally arrived, the sausage was almost raw and the poached egg must have been from the sparrows. My partner later suffered an upset stomach even though he hardly ate any of the cooked breakfast. And we had to ask for clean crockery as the items on the table were rather dirty in some cases.
All this was duly noted on our comments sheet, which we presented at check-out. The redeeming feature was that we think it was the Managing Director on the desk. He defended the hotel, as he must, I suppose, but declined payment until our complaints have been investigated. I am promised a letter by the end of the week.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LoulieStoke_on_Trent

Reviewed 3 June 2010

we have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel. We opted for a sea view room at an extra cost which was well worth it as the view was lovely. One draw back is we were on the first floor and as it was very warm we needed the small windows open at night. and as there were seats directly below our room people from the bar that were coming out side were very noisy late into the night. The room was spacious and clean. It could do with a small fridge and maybe a safe in the room. Breakfast was very well cooked and fresh. We would posibility return to this hotel at the right price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I can only reiterate the other positive statements already made about this hotel.
The people, service and food were excellent. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were cleaned to a high standard, and the food was superb. Breakfast was massive, with table service for drinks and fry-up, and there was a comprehensive selections of a more continental nature. We took our evening meals in the bar and the food was great - the only negative here was that the portion was on the medium size rather than large.
The hotel has a nice gym, plenty of public areas for lounging, and a decent sized car-park.
The only real disappointment was with the rooms, and minor at that. I had a standard room, which came with a double bed - rather too hard for me but adequate. For a single person the room-size was OK but I would think a couple would be a bit squashed. The room and en-suite were newly refurbished as were the rooms of my colleagues - in fact the only scruffy areas of the hotel were the corridors leading from reception which initially is a bit of a put-off. My main gripe with my room was the lack of sound insulation from the ajoining rooms. As another poster has said, you really can hear the person in the next room having a pee, plugging in their kettle, and turning off their light switches. This didn't bother me too much as my two colleagues had been given the rooms either side of mine so I knew what time they would be going to sleep and waking the next day. But if there's a large difference in the habits of your neighbor this might become tiresome.
Overall, good hotel, I'd certainly stay again for a night to two - how it fairs in the summer season could be another story.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We recently enjoyed a short break at the Glendower. From our arrival to our departure was a total pleasure. Our first contact on arrival was, of course, the reception staff who were very friendly and welcoming. In fact, all the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Such a happy, smiling 'crew' who seemed to be enjoying their work! The service in all aspects is second to none, nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff.

Our room was spacious, warm and very comfortable. Great seaviews!

The quality of the food is excellent and certainly value for money.

The Glendower is in a perfect and rather quiet location. The beach is just yards away and the centre of St Annes within minutes walking distance.

In short, we cannot think of anything negative to say about the Glendower or the staff.

We would most definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Myself and my family enjoyed a lovely evening in the Glendower's private function room in January 2010 to celebrate my mother’s 60th birthday. We had sampled the restaurant a few months earlier and booked the event as a result of the fantastic food and service we experienced.

In the run up to the birthday celebration, and on the evening itself, I have to say that every member of staff was an absolute credit to the Glendower – this includes their events manager, the waiters and waitresses, those on reception and on the bar.

In short – attentive, friendly service, amazing food, and great value. I would have absolutely no hesitation in booking a return visit or recommending the Glendower to a friend.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Really enjoyed my stay here. Excellent service and very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2009

One windy, rainy night in Saint Annes spent at The Glendower as there was no way I was going to get to Lytham in time for a morning meeting. Somehow I got a suite. Massive. Really, really massive. Master bedroom that doubled as the lounge, and a second bedroom with two singles. I suppose you could call it a family room/lounge.

First impressions weren't great. While the bed in the main bedroom was big, the furnishings looked like they could have done with a bit of a spruce-up. The most telling thing, though, was the howling wind clattering away at the windows! Yes, it was windy, but the windows were..... well, creakier than I'd have expected.

All the facilities worked - although there was no shower. Not even a hook for the hand shower attachment. Somewhat annoying in the morning.

Room service dinner was of a good quality though. Better than many, many chain hotels. The highlight was the quality of service from the staff. Excellent. OK, not exceptional, but head and shoulders above the vast majority of places I've stayed on business. Very commendable.

In the end, given the wind and rain and clattering windows, I opted to stay in the second bedroom! Cosy.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
#9 of 16 in Lytham St Anne's
The Lindum Hotel
The Lindum Hotel
#10 of 16 in Lytham St Anne's

Been to Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel? Share your experiences!