“Excellent Weekend”

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
glasgow
“Excellent Weekend”
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

This was our first but hopefully not our last visit. I am usually disappointed by the bedrooms in older buildings but not this time - our room was spacious with very comfortable beds and the ensuite was clean and modern. Every member of staff we met was pleasant and friendly and made us feel welcome. Although on a B&B basis we choose to eat in the restaurant one evening and I am glad we did as I had one of the best duck dishes i have ever tasted. A special thank you to our server Laura who was attentive and charming throughout our stay. Looking forward to returning.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear braidybunchGlasgow, Thank you for your recent review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your first stay with us, especially as you are looking forward to returning. We are constantly aiming to improve our facilities, service and food so I'm pleased that you were satisfied with all aspects of the hotel. I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding Laura, all our staff are an asset to the business as we couldn't achieve such great feedback without them. We hope to see you again soon.
Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We have not been to the Clifton Arms Hotel for some time. In the past we had my daughters wedding, grandson's christening, and any other celibration the family has had, this was the place we would go. After looking at the reviews about the refurb, we thought it would be nice to revisit for a birthday meal there on the 11th August this year. Unfortuneatly we were very disapointed to say the least. We were seated at a lovely table in the window and we were pleased to see the dining room looking so well, retaining the charm we remembered, but things seemed to go down hill after that. The menu offered was, in my opionion, pretentious, a lot of words but no substance. The waiter when taking our order expresed an air of disaproval because we did not order a starter, with a comment of 'you will have a wait for your meal you know'. He was not interested the fact that there was nothing that we could find that was to our taste. We ordered the lamb, as this was always excellent in the past, but found that, what there was of it, the three little pieces of lamb were fine but a rolled up bit of fat was disgusting. There was a small square of potatoes that was pleasant (no veg) but left us still hungary. The dessert was like a piece of leftover cake dressed up with a few bits and bobs. I have to mention the floor show - of an elderly couple that in the words of the lady herself 'I'm rather innebreated' had us having to put up with a very loud, and may I say embarrising conversation that the staff seemed to be used to, as the performers were residents. It also came to our notice that the tables next to us also found the menu lacking as they asked for alternatives and were reluctantly given them. When we were asked if we enjoyed our meal, we let our feelings known only to be ignored! I would like to say there was one member of staff who was very nice and did feel appoligetic but offered no solution. We made our way home and made a sandwich, which is a bit of an insult after paying so much for our meal. I am sad that this is the end of a nice relationship we had with hotel as we could always rely on having somewhere nice to go to.
Helen T

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Helen T
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Helen T, Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with our restaurant experience, you should certainly not have felt ignored as we appreciate constructive feedback in order to improve. The menu has changed over the past couple of years as we aim to set ourselves apart from the local competition by offering fine dining choices. I understand that this does not suit every customer but we have received many excellent reviews recently about the restaurant food. We pride ourselves on the quality of food and high standard of service which our customers receive so I am frustrated by your comments but I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention so that they can be discussed and acted upon immediately. We do have a reputation for being a 'special occasion' restaurant and I hope that you will give us a second chance in the future.
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Just back after a wonderful 2 night stay for the Lytham proms. We stayed in room 105 (which has recently been refurbished), which has a huge bay window for wonderful views along the green to the Windmill and across to Southport. Its a massive room with very comfortable beds, chairs, tables and a sofa. Also has separate bath and shower. Breakfast was very good, with a good selection of hot and cold food. All the staff we came into contact with were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them. Just wish I could have stayed longer. The only small problem I could see was that as the weather has been so warm the rooms could have done with having fridges in them - ice buckets were available from the bar but when the ice melts..........., and the rooms are big enough to have them.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a Chairmans room - very comfortable, spacious and great views .
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank looking4nxthol
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear looking4nxthol, Thank you for your recent review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, particularly, recognising the refurbishments we are going through, quality of breakfast and our friendly hospitality. Lytham Proms Festival Weekend is a busy event for us and we also had a wedding so I'm pleased our high standards were maintained. Thank you for your recommendation about fridges in the rooms. I understand your point and this will be considered for the future. I hope you will return again soon.
bolton
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Recently stayed for three nights in a standard double room on a dinner bed & breakfast basis.The room had recently been refurrbished, was a reasonable size with a good sized bathroom which had a bath, separate shower and plenty of room (unlike many hotels where the en suite is tiny add on in the corner of the bedroom).

The food in the restaurant was superb and definately "fine dining". The breakfasts were also very good and I would definately recommend this hotel for anyone who prefers something more "up market".

My only complaint is the lack of a dress code in the restaurant as in my opinion a fine dining
restaurant should not allow diners in shorts looking as though they have just come in from the beach.

I know the Management of this hotel often reply to reviews so it would be interesting to know why there is no dress code in such a quality restaurant.

1 Thank bowlingman
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear bowlingman, Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I take your point about the dress code. To be honest, the dress code is not usually an issue as it's very rare that someone would dine in our Restaurant wearing shorts. However, I understand that our dress code of 'smart casual' probably needs further clarification, especially if this lovely weather is to continue! We are aiming to build on our AA Rosette accreditation so I am pleased that you have highlighted this and that you were so impressed with our fine dining menu. The owners are also investing considerably in the property with 9 bedrooms refurbished so far this year so I am, therefore, happy that you recognised this too. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Passing through Lytham looking for early evening meal and saw the Clifton Arms Hotel. Nearby car park was empty and free after 6.00pm so decided to investigate the Clifton. Have passed this hotel many times and thought it looked decent quality. Not disappointed.

Enquired if a table available for non residents. No problem. Brasserie and restaurant menus available. Excellent selection on both, with specials available. We decided to go for the restaurant a la carte menu. Drinks and canapes in the lounge, order taken, then escorted into a smart, well decorated dining room with view on to the estuary.

Our excellent rating applies to; the initial contact, friendly, good humoured. The quality of food and presentation, Service, special thanks to Laura for her charming, relaxed and friendly manner. A really enjoyable meal in pleasant surroundings.

As we both enjoyed the experience we will be returning for a weekend stay in the near future.

First impressions count for a lot.

Happy to recommend the Clifton Arms Hotel based on the high standard of service and cuisine we enjoyed. Very impressed. Thanks to all, especially the kitchen team for the food. First class.

1 Thank David T
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear David T, Thank you for your recent review. I really appreciate the time you have taken to write this report and, especially, the detail you have given. Many people don't realise that we serve to non-residents so I'm glad that you've highlighted this. Our Brasserie Menu (served Sunday-Thursday) is extremely popular as its more informal than the Restaurant but we're always receiving great feedback about the A La Carte menu too. The staff will be pleased with your comments about their service, particularly Laura, and the chefs equally so about the food. I'm delighted that you are now planning to stay & we look forward to seeing you again.
Rochdale Lancashire
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My Mum and I spent last weekend here on holiday. The hotel and everything about it was all excellent. The best breakfast in the North West of England. The first night in our room was hot even though the window was slightly open. So the next morning we mentioned this at reception and they would inform housekeeping, when we returned to our rooms we saw a air cooling fan in the room. This helped enormously with cooling the room down.

We hope to spend our next holiday here sometime in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gunniminor
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear gunniminor, Thank you for your recent review. Our team work so hard to provide such high standards of food and service that your comments are very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon for your next holiday.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I was looking for somewhere differant for a romantic meal, and the restaurant at this hotel looked really interesting. We had our meal Saturday night, the food was amazing, we had the salmon and crab starters and the vennison and duck mains then the pistachio and chocolate desserts,yum yum. the service was very good, for the quality of food the price was excellent, definitely worth a visit, as it is right on the seafront you also get a Great view.

Room Tip: We did not stay here just went to the restaurant.
2 Thank Lisa C
Dear Lisa C, Thank you for your recent review. I have thought for years that our restaurant is actually the best kept secret on the Fylde coast. Unfortunately, many feel that the restaurant is either too formal or for residents only. I'm delighted that you decided to give us a try and thrilled that you were so pleased with both the food and service. We also offer a Brasserie menu at lunch and mid-week during the evening plus afternoon tea so, hopefully, we'll see you again soon.