“Still good”
Review of Clifton Arms Hotel

Clifton Arms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I wrote about this hotel in October 2010and revisited it last week. During the week it is frequented by business travellers. It has excellent free and easy to use Wi-Fi. At the weekend it tends to be busy with people using for leisure activities and attending weddings etc. It is undergoing refurbishment at the moment but I was not inconvenienced in any way nor did I see anyone who was. My room was excellent and overlooking the green. The food was delicious and enjoyed not only by myself but the friends I invited to join me. Lytham is blooming. Lots of outdoor cafes in pedestrian areas ( the weather was lovely) , individual shops with fashion and food. One of the best fish shops in the north ( Lanigans). It was a delight to be there. Trains run hourly from Preston and the hotel is a few minutes walk from the station.

Room Tip: I like the view of the green from the front but because it is on a road you could choose a side room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Katharine186300
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Katharine186300, Thank you for your recent review. I, particularly, appreciate the detail which you have given, both related to the hotel and local area. Lytham is a beautiful place, a pleasure to visit and we are extremely lucky to be in the heart of the town whilst overlooking the seafront. I'm delighted that you chose to return to us, since your previous stay in 2010, and that you recognise the refurbishment work that is currently underway. We are refurbishing the groundfloor public areas this September/October so I hope that you will be impressed with this when you next visit.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

What is happening at the Clifton Arms? Executive room 101 has a quarter inch gap to the outside world! Not something you need to discover on a winters night or even this summer! With a busy road outside you are certainly aware of the traffic...and this is without a window open ..just a badly fitting door! To add to the 'ventilation' the room appears to have a clinical smell..some kind of cleaning fluid maybe...very odd...this isn't a one off observation as having stayed here a few months before the smell was still there.
I can't fault the cleaniness or decor as that is satisfactory and the staff are always very helpful and friendly...but.....come on, attention to detail please!!

Room Tip: room 112 so much better!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank sparklew

Dear sparklew, Thank you for your recent review. I appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention, our Maintenance Manager is looking into the issues which you have raised. We've never received a complaint of this nature before so I'm sorry that your stay was inconvenienced and I can assure you we are acting on your findings. I am, however, pleased that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

A beautifully quaint old-style seafront hotel with modern rooms and decor. A real friendly and sometimes quirky atmosphere is complimented by quality food and service. Particular credit to the restaurant staff who were professional, courteous and extremely friendly.
We stayed for two nights for a family wedding and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FatCat1888
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear FatCat1888, Thank you for your recent review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on the quality of food and high standard of service which our customers recieve so I'm pleased that you were so impressed with your first visit to us. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was our first but hopefully not our last visit. I am usually disappointed by the bedrooms in older buildings but not this time - our room was spacious with very comfortable beds and the ensuite was clean and modern. Every member of staff we met was pleasant and friendly and made us feel welcome. Although on a B&B basis we choose to eat in the restaurant one evening and I am glad we did as I had one of the best duck dishes i have ever tasted. A special thank you to our server Laura who was attentive and charming throughout our stay. Looking forward to returning.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear braidybunchGlasgow, Thank you for your recent review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your first stay with us, especially as you are looking forward to returning. We are constantly aiming to improve our facilities, service and food so I'm pleased that you were satisfied with all aspects of the hotel. I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding Laura, all our staff are an asset to the business as we couldn't achieve such great feedback without them. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We have not been to the Clifton Arms Hotel for some time. In the past we had my daughters wedding, grandson's christening, and any other celibration the family has had, this was the place we would go. After looking at the reviews about the refurb, we thought it would be nice to revisit for a birthday meal there on the 11th August this year. Unfortuneatly we were very disapointed to say the least. We were seated at a lovely table in the window and we were pleased to see the dining room looking so well, retaining the charm we remembered, but things seemed to go down hill after that. The menu offered was, in my opionion, pretentious, a lot of words but no substance. The waiter when taking our order expresed an air of disaproval because we did not order a starter, with a comment of 'you will have a wait for your meal you know'. He was not interested the fact that there was nothing that we could find that was to our taste. We ordered the lamb, as this was always excellent in the past, but found that, what there was of it, the three little pieces of lamb were fine but a rolled up bit of fat was disgusting. There was a small square of potatoes that was pleasant (no veg) but left us still hungary. The dessert was like a piece of leftover cake dressed up with a few bits and bobs. I have to mention the floor show - of an elderly couple that in the words of the lady herself 'I'm rather innebreated' had us having to put up with a very loud, and may I say embarrising conversation that the staff seemed to be used to, as the performers were residents. It also came to our notice that the tables next to us also found the menu lacking as they asked for alternatives and were reluctantly given them. When we were asked if we enjoyed our meal, we let our feelings known only to be ignored! I would like to say there was one member of staff who was very nice and did feel appoligetic but offered no solution. We made our way home and made a sandwich, which is a bit of an insult after paying so much for our meal. I am sad that this is the end of a nice relationship we had with hotel as we could always rely on having somewhere nice to go to.
Helen T

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Helen T
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Helen T, Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with our restaurant experience, you should certainly not have felt ignored as we appreciate constructive feedback in order to improve. The menu has changed over the past couple of years as we aim to set ourselves apart from the local competition by offering fine dining choices. I understand that this does not suit every customer but we have received many excellent reviews recently about the restaurant food. We pride ourselves on the quality of food and high standard of service which our customers receive so I am frustrated by your comments but I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention so that they can be discussed and acted upon immediately. We do have a reputation for being a 'special occasion' restaurant and I hope that you will give us a second chance in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Just back after a wonderful 2 night stay for the Lytham proms. We stayed in room 105 (which has recently been refurbished), which has a huge bay window for wonderful views along the green to the Windmill and across to Southport. Its a massive room with very comfortable beds, chairs, tables and a sofa. Also has separate bath and shower. Breakfast was very good, with a good selection of hot and cold food. All the staff we came into contact with were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them. Just wish I could have stayed longer. The only small problem I could see was that as the weather has been so warm the rooms could have done with having fridges in them - ice buckets were available from the bar but when the ice melts..........., and the rooms are big enough to have them.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a Chairmans room - very comfortable, spacious and great views .
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank looking4nxthol
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear looking4nxthol, Thank you for your recent review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, particularly, recognising the refurbishments we are going through, quality of breakfast and our friendly hospitality. Lytham Proms Festival Weekend is a busy event for us and we also had a wedding so I'm pleased our high standards were maintained. Thank you for your recommendation about fridges in the rooms. I understand your point and this will be considered for the future. I hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Recently stayed for three nights in a standard double room on a dinner bed & breakfast basis.The room had recently been refurrbished, was a reasonable size with a good sized bathroom which had a bath, separate shower and plenty of room (unlike many hotels where the en suite is tiny add on in the corner of the bedroom).

The food in the restaurant was superb and definately "fine dining". The breakfasts were also very good and I would definately recommend this hotel for anyone who prefers something more "up market".

My only complaint is the lack of a dress code in the restaurant as in my opinion a fine dining
restaurant should not allow diners in shorts looking as though they have just come in from the beach.

I know the Management of this hotel often reply to reviews so it would be interesting to know why there is no dress code in such a quality restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bowlingman
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear bowlingman, Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I take your point about the dress code. To be honest, the dress code is not usually an issue as it's very rare that someone would dine in our Restaurant wearing shorts. However, I understand that our dress code of 'smart casual' probably needs further clarification, especially if this lovely weather is to continue! We are aiming to build on our AA Rosette accreditation so I am pleased that you have highlighted this and that you were so impressed with our fine dining menu. The owners are also investing considerably in the property with 9 bedrooms refurbished so far this year so I am, therefore, happy that you recognised this too. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.