“Attended a wedding there - disappointed about booking process...”
Review of Clifton Arms Hotel

Clifton Arms Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
holty10
“Attended a wedding there - disappointed about booking process...”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Hi I went to a wedding at Clifton Arms last weekend. The venue was nice and I really enjoyed the wedding but I was very disappointed that as a guest at a wedding there, I wasn't staying there. The reason I didn’t stay there was....
I had read reviews of the hotel and could see that the negative reviews tended to be older ones that had been written before refurbishment had started at the hotel and/or were reviews by people that had recently stayed in the non refurbished rooms. I therefore, only wanted to book a stay in one of the refurbished rooms. The woman that was dealing with my enquirey (via email), was very helpful and got back to me quickly but said that rooms are allocated the night before so she could not guarantee me a refurbished room.
I am sure that she was just working within hotel policy but I thought it such a shame that they couldn’t guarantee a refurbished room when I tried to book. In the end I booked elsewhere, as I didn’t want to risk being disappointed by getting there and having an old room. I was slightly confused about why they can’t allocate rooms on first come first served basis and give the refurbished rooms out first. There may be a valid reason for this and I know the Manager responds to posts so I will await the explanation......!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear hotly10, Thank you for your recent review. I'm sorry that you were disappointed by the fact that we couldn't guarantee a refurbished room. I completely understand the point which you are making and I'm glad you have given me the opportunity to provide an explanation. If I use this weekend in question as an example, we had a wedding on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. This meant that we were virtually fully booked. As many guests were arriving on the Thursday, if they had all been allocated refurbished rooms, this would mean that there would be no refurbished rooms left for those arriving on the Friday and the same would apply to the following days. We do make requests for refurbished rooms on the bookings and, as the majority of rooms have been refurbished, most guests are allocated the refurbished rooms but we would rather be honest at the time of booking as we will not be able to guarantee this until all the rooms are finished. What I would suggest is that to guarantee a refurbished room, you book a room type where all the rooms are complete, these are the Cottage Side Suites, Directors Doubles & Chairmans Doubles. Perhaps this should have been suggested at the time of booking so I will speak to Reception, but I suspect that these rooms were already booked as many of the weddings make group reservations. Aside from this, I'm delighted that you enjoyed the wedding reception and I hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.
Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I wrote about this hotel in October 2010and revisited it last week. During the week it is frequented by business travellers. It has excellent free and easy to use Wi-Fi. At the weekend it tends to be busy with people using for leisure activities and attending weddings etc. It is undergoing refurbishment at the moment but I was not inconvenienced in any way nor did I see anyone who was. My room was excellent and overlooking the green. The food was delicious and enjoyed not only by myself but the friends I invited to join me. Lytham is blooming. Lots of outdoor cafes in pedestrian areas ( the weather was lovely) , individual shops with fashion and food. One of the best fish shops in the north ( Lanigans). It was a delight to be there. Trains run hourly from Preston and the hotel is a few minutes walk from the station.

Room Tip: I like the view of the green from the front but because it is on a road you could choose a side room...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Katharine186300
Dear Katharine186300, Thank you for your recent review. I, particularly, appreciate the detail which you have given, both related to the hotel and local area. Lytham is a beautiful place, a pleasure to visit and we are extremely lucky to be in the heart of the town whilst overlooking the seafront. I'm delighted that you chose to return to us, since your previous stay in 2010, and that you recognise the refurbishment work that is currently underway. We are refurbishing the groundfloor public areas this September/October so I hope that you will be impressed with this when you next visit.
UK
Reviewed 27 August 2013

What is happening at the Clifton Arms? Executive room 101 has a quarter inch gap to the outside world! Not something you need to discover on a winters night or even this summer! With a busy road outside you are certainly aware of the traffic...and this is without a window open ..just a badly fitting door! To add to the 'ventilation' the room appears to have a clinical smell..some kind of cleaning fluid maybe...very odd...this isn't a one off observation as having stayed here a few months before the smell was still there.
I can't fault the cleaniness or decor as that is satisfactory and the staff are always very helpful and friendly...but.....come on, attention to detail please!!

Room Tip: room 112 so much better!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sparklew
Dear sparklew, Thank you for your recent review. I appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention, our Maintenance Manager is looking into the issues which you have raised. We've never received a complaint of this nature before so I'm sorry that your stay was inconvenienced and I can assure you we are acting on your findings. I am, however, pleased that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 August 2013

A beautifully quaint old-style seafront hotel with modern rooms and decor. A real friendly and sometimes quirky atmosphere is complimented by quality food and service. Particular credit to the restaurant staff who were professional, courteous and extremely friendly.
We stayed for two nights for a family wedding and will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank FatCat1888
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear FatCat1888, Thank you for your recent review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on the quality of food and high standard of service which our customers recieve so I'm pleased that you were so impressed with your first visit to us. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
glasgow
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

This was our first but hopefully not our last visit. I am usually disappointed by the bedrooms in older buildings but not this time - our room was spacious with very comfortable beds and the ensuite was clean and modern. Every member of staff we met was pleasant and friendly and made us feel welcome. Although on a B&B basis we choose to eat in the restaurant one evening and I am glad we did as I had one of the best duck dishes i have ever tasted. A special thank you to our server Laura who was attentive and charming throughout our stay. Looking forward to returning.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear braidybunchGlasgow, Thank you for your recent review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your first stay with us, especially as you are looking forward to returning. We are constantly aiming to improve our facilities, service and food so I'm pleased that you were satisfied with all aspects of the hotel. I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding Laura, all our staff are an asset to the business as we couldn't achieve such great feedback without them. We hope to see you again soon.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We have not been to the Clifton Arms Hotel for some time. In the past we had my daughters wedding, grandson's christening, and any other celibration the family has had, this was the place we would go. After looking at the reviews about the refurb, we thought it would be nice to revisit for a birthday meal there on the 11th August this year. Unfortuneatly we were very disapointed to say the least. We were seated at a lovely table in the window and we were pleased to see the dining room looking so well, retaining the charm we remembered, but things seemed to go down hill after that. The menu offered was, in my opionion, pretentious, a lot of words but no substance. The waiter when taking our order expresed an air of disaproval because we did not order a starter, with a comment of 'you will have a wait for your meal you know'. He was not interested the fact that there was nothing that we could find that was to our taste. We ordered the lamb, as this was always excellent in the past, but found that, what there was of it, the three little pieces of lamb were fine but a rolled up bit of fat was disgusting. There was a small square of potatoes that was pleasant (no veg) but left us still hungary. The dessert was like a piece of leftover cake dressed up with a few bits and bobs. I have to mention the floor show - of an elderly couple that in the words of the lady herself 'I'm rather innebreated' had us having to put up with a very loud, and may I say embarrising conversation that the staff seemed to be used to, as the performers were residents. It also came to our notice that the tables next to us also found the menu lacking as they asked for alternatives and were reluctantly given them. When we were asked if we enjoyed our meal, we let our feelings known only to be ignored! I would like to say there was one member of staff who was very nice and did feel appoligetic but offered no solution. We made our way home and made a sandwich, which is a bit of an insult after paying so much for our meal. I am sad that this is the end of a nice relationship we had with hotel as we could always rely on having somewhere nice to go to.
Helen T

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Helen T
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Helen T, Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with our restaurant experience, you should certainly not have felt ignored as we appreciate constructive feedback in order to improve. The menu has changed over the past couple of years as we aim to set ourselves apart from the local competition by offering fine dining choices. I understand that this does not suit every customer but we have received many excellent reviews recently about the restaurant food. We pride ourselves on the quality of food and high standard of service which our customers receive so I am frustrated by your comments but I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention so that they can be discussed and acted upon immediately. We do have a reputation for being a 'special occasion' restaurant and I hope that you will give us a second chance in the future.
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Just back after a wonderful 2 night stay for the Lytham proms. We stayed in room 105 (which has recently been refurbished), which has a huge bay window for wonderful views along the green to the Windmill and across to Southport. Its a massive room with very comfortable beds, chairs, tables and a sofa. Also has separate bath and shower. Breakfast was very good, with a good selection of hot and cold food. All the staff we came into contact with were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them. Just wish I could have stayed longer. The only small problem I could see was that as the weather has been so warm the rooms could have done with having fridges in them - ice buckets were available from the bar but when the ice melts..........., and the rooms are big enough to have them.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a Chairmans room - very comfortable, spacious and great views .
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank looking4nxthol
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear looking4nxthol, Thank you for your recent review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, particularly, recognising the refurbishments we are going through, quality of breakfast and our friendly hospitality. Lytham Proms Festival Weekend is a busy event for us and we also had a wedding so I'm pleased our high standards were maintained. Thank you for your recommendation about fridges in the rooms. I understand your point and this will be considered for the future. I hope you will return again soon.