“Not the best”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Knottingley, United Kingdom
“Not the best”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the st ives, the entertainment for children was brilliant, however, rooms are dated and I expected a small elephant to fall through our roof each night with the amount of noise coming from above, breakfast was ok but bacon was extremely salty and under cooked, pool area was great but let down by dirty and damaged changing room facilities. Not as good as neighbouring hotels and slightly dearer.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Garywhizz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed for 1 night and cant wait to go back. We were a family of four. This Hotel caters for everyone the food was excellent, we didn't expect to get a 3 course evening meal(inc the children). Breakfast is a buffet and everything you could want is available. Pool, Sauna, games room, wii and Dvd room, arts and crafts and much more were amazing. We did stay when it was an adult xmas party(Dec only) but this didn't spoil anything the room was quiet and staff really helpful and polite. We were told that other weekends were all family entertainment and great, so we will return for this. Pool towels were also free. We booked the carvery,swimming and santa deal through Deal monster. This is well worth the money for the carvery only, it was a three course buffet and you can just help yourself, it was gorgeous. I would like to thank staff for the lovely experience. It would have been nice to have a soak in a jucuzzi maybe they might invest in one.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank familywilkinsons
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is the first time I have stayed in this hotel for over thirty years and I was impressed with my welcome and the comfort of my stay. The hotel is located right on the water front a Lytham St Annes and the views over to the sea are spectacular especially the sunset in the evenings.
The hotel also as a lesiure pool with a sauna.
This is an ideal hotel for the single traveller as you can stay on your own or join in with the groups in the coach parties staying there. As the lady that booked me into the dining room said when I went in for my evening meal on the first night and I said " I am on my own" she replied you are never alone at the "St Ives Hotel" she was right. A very friendly hotel and staff.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and ask for a room on the front of the hotel with a sea view, its well worth it!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank billmitchison
jvonslow44
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed here for one night as a change from our usual going out for a meal and then home. I work in St Annes and made a point of finding it a couple of days before our trip, from the outside in daylight it does not make any impression, especially against the other hotels on the same street. However, when I pulled up outside on the evening of our stay the Christmas lights made it look much nicer. The reception staff were very helpful on check in and explained everything I needed to know. My room was large enough, warm and very clean with lovely bedding. There was a free drinks reception to kick off the evening followed by entertainment in the restaurant. The meal which we did not have to pre-order (like you have to in so many places) was absolutely wonderful, to say they were cooking for so many people it was tasty , hot and served very efficiently. All of the staff were very helpful and still smiling at 1am in the morning, the decor inside was modern and well kept. We had a brilliant night and will probably go back next year, they just need to work on the decor outside to ensure people are not put off before they step inside, it really is a very good hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jvonslow44
Cumbria
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Friendly, helpful staff, and owner!
With a lovely sea view and and slightly tricky wheelchair access, this hotel was good for an overnight stay with my sister and niece, but would be fine as a holiday base. Family room a bit small, but ok for sleeping. Bathroom ok. Good, buffet-style breakfast, eat all-you-want, so got well set up for the day! Coffee not great, but not bad. Reasonable price via Laterooms.

Room Tip: Sea-view room makes up for averageness of decor!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ducklet2
morecambe
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We often come here on Saturday and stay over. The entertainment for children is amazing. The hotel is well run and seems to keep their staff. Breakfast is always excellent and the morning 'turn' for the kids means that the punters are not cast out into the Sunday morning rain.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms at the rear that overlook the kitchen.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank alan h
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I am deeply saddened by having to write this review, but it has to be done!

Myself, Fiancé & our Daughter visit this hotel a few times a year and normally love it! We stayed here on 30th November and brought friends of ours after extremely recommending the hotel to them, but regrettably I am embarrassed I did so.

When we booked, we didnt get informed that this was a 'Santa Weekend' so we had a shock when we arrived to find lots of kids running around. We proceeded to check in, and the receptionist booked our daughter in to see santa and get a present, which was, i admit a nice bonus! but that is where it went downhill. I'd like to point out at this point that our daughter enjoyed the children's entertainment!

We got asked what time we would like to eat, and got told we couldnt eat before 8pm, so we had to choose that! We look forward to the food when we stay here as its normally the highlight and is excellent! We got in the restaurant, it was empty, so we probably could of eaten earlier! We were greated and shown to a table where a 'festive menu' was avaliable for us to choose from. There was no starters left, so we couldn't have onet, so we had to go straight to the Main, With a choice of a few 'not so very festive dishes' accompanied by cold Veg or cold Chips. We settled on a steak each, to which we were asked how we would like it and they would bring it over for us, as it will take a while. So we sat down with a little food too keep us going until the steaks arrived.

25 minutes later..... A member of staff came over and told us, our steaks where "still over there if we wanted them".... What happened to them bringing them to us I don't know, he then offered to bring them over and asked which ones people ordered, the rare, medium rare and medium well done steaks WHERE ALL COOKED TO MEDIUM-WELL, which isn't what we asked for.

We gave up on the mains at this point and went to the desserts.......... Oh look, there are no desserts either....... Just an ice cream cone machine for the kids.... Fantastic.

When left the restaurant very disappointed and made our way into the main entertainment room, to where the evening 'festive entertainment' had already began, 'Dancing Christams Girls'.... Literally, girls! There ages ranged from around 4-12 and 'danced' for no time at all! Then that was it!!!!! Bingo time, followed by DJ Adrian

I then went to the bar to get a round of drinks, and instead of being greated, I was insulted by how I looked and he wasn't 'having a joke' or 'laughing about it' either! I wasn't very happy about this and was embarrassed in front of the other guests!

Next morning, we were hoping Breakfast was going to be better than last nights efforts...... But again, we were left very disappointed, an ok variety of food, but VERY salty Bacon, and yes! You guessed it, it was all cold, even tho the restaurant was busy!

We still haven't heard back from the hotel in regards to an apology!

Long story short - the entertainment was non-existant, the food was cold and the bar staff are an absolute joke! The hotel didn't cope at all with the sheer volume of guests. The hotel entertainment and food is far better when they don't bother attempting to do a theme!

Before this experience, we had already booked to come again in January, if it wasn't already booked we would not be returning, I can't say I'm looking forward to it. And safe to say our friends will never be returning to this hotel that we hyped up!

Unfortunately this is the most we have ever paid for a room at this hotel and it has been the worst expierence!

Serena Berry