“Fantastic staff, 4 and 3 year old loved it”
Review of St. Ives Hotel

St. Ives Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
“Fantastic staff, 4 and 3 year old loved it”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Spent last night at this hotel with our 4 year old granddaughter and 3 year old grandson. The staff opened up the the playroom for them offered us colouring items and put a DVD on in the film room for them as they were the only little ones there because it was a Thursday. We had room 60 which has plenty of room and a huge bathroom. There is a little playground at the back of hotel which they loved and the beach and pier are right across the road. Lovely hotel and fantastic staff we will be taking the grandchildren back very soon.

Room Tip: Room 60 is a good size. However it is next to an entrance so some disturbance from other people comi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Anitafurnell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Stalybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Arrived on Friday 18th and straight away got put into our room - number 60. As soon as we stepped in we found numerous problems. Firstly there was a door on a small cupboard falling off and the wood had many chips in and it was likely you would get a splinter. As my sister is small my Mum was worried she would get hurt and complained. Another problem in room 60 was it had obviously not been cleaned as there was dust on the windowsill and the radiator was filthy. When we complained we fortunately had a chance to move - we had only one room to move to as they apparently had lots of people moving in and this was the only room the people had not checked in to - number 67. Room 67 was a resemblance of a bunker as it was literally underground. All you could see was people feet walking past. Our room wasn't in the hotel - it was part of an extension they had put on the side. At night we had to walk around the hotel - even in the rain - just to get to our room. At night my Mum likes the window open but we couldn't do this as we were worried someone could climb in as the window was floor height. The hotel manager said that by the time we would check out we would be happy as they apparently specialize in children's entertainment. Another good thing about this hotel is the food. It is an all you can eat buffet and is a three/four course meal every night for tea. Also breakfast is all you can eat and there are lots choices available. The pool was dirty and you could not see underneath the water even with your goggles on. However the sauna located poolside was nice and family friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the actual hotel! Not a Bunker...
2 Thank Finlay M
salford
Reviewed 20 April 2014

after 3 days in this hotel take no notice from negative feed back
the rooms are great the food is fit for a king and good choice
pool is great
entertainment is great for all
the staff are fantastic recommend to everyone

3 Thank woody007Salford
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Another great stay at the St Ives hotel. We didn't have our usual room as we booked at the last minute. We stayed in room 2 which was a family room for 4. It was compact but comfortable & clean.
Staff are all very friendly, ensuring you have a good break, entertainment was varied and fun - happy kids = happy parents !!
Looking forward to our next visit in June.

2 Thank Clampits4
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Rooms.
We had 3 rooms. 24 was awful, tiny, dirty and a little unsafe for my son with chipped furniture. The receptionist moved us to 26 which was larger and much more suitable for us, still dated but ok. We could only stay in the room for 2 night so we had a 3rd move to room 19. This was a seaview with balcony room and was nice. Needs refurbed but apparently all the rooms are getting done. (just seen on Facebook Rm 63 interconnecting for 5 has been completely redone, looks smart). When these rooms are refurbed with the hotels location and staff (in particular Beth) it will be a fab place to stay.

Food.
We book DBB, breakfast was ok, staff need to be a little more attentive ie replenishing bread, making sure there is butter for toast, watching the juice machines don't run out.
Plenty of choice, full English, continental, porridge, fresh fruit/prunes/apricots, yoghurts etc.
Watch the plates, you will need a serviette to pick them up!!

Evening meal wasn't up to much. Children's choice was awful. Puddings were dire. On the plus side though kids loved the ice cream machine.

Entertainment.

Something on all day for the children to do whether it be crafts, hunts, floats in the pool. Some activities cost a pound or two but they are well worth it. Some nights there was a film for the children to watch before the main entertainment.
The Sunday entertainment was probably the best I have seen in a hotel anywhere ever. The man was a comedy genius but managed to make it relevant for all generations with his gameshows.
It went down hill from there I had to leave Monday night the magician/entertainer got on my nerves!! Tuesday we didn't bother going down to watch the entertainment as the weather was so good we stayed up on the balcony.

Location.

Opposite a lovely beach in St Annes, not far from the pier (not very exciting but will put an hour in in the arcade). The little prom has trampolines, a café, little bits for the kids to do, miniature golf and railway. There is a lifeboat centre with a lake for zorbing and pedalos.
The beach is clean and dogs are allowed on until May. There are bouncy castles and donkeys priced at £2.50 a go.
St Annes itself is a nice little place with a few shops, cafes, pubs etc.
We ate in weatherspoons and the seafarers chippy both of which were lovely.

You can get into Blackpool on the bus (7 or 11) you catch it just round the corner from the hotel. A family ticket is £9 for all day and that lets you on the trams aswell.

I will return as it is a lovely place (I will book seaview and balcony room though!!) for the kids and as previously mentioned it is a family hotel so if you are looking for a peaceful retreat I would book somewhere else. :-)

Room Tip: 24 is small interconnecting room. 26 larger for family of 4. 19 seaview with balcony but right besi...
2 Thank Kerry N
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Booked for my husbands birthday, I wanted to book the best so I thought I'd book sea view with balcony. Arrived Friday afternoon, we were given room 19 with sv and balcony, however there was scaffolding pertruding across our balcony, the floor was filthy and the table and chairs covered in dirt. We were so disappointed as the weekend weather was going to be so nice. I complained to reception who said they had tried to contact everyone they thought the building works would affect ( I still dont believe they contacted anyone). At least then we would have been able to make an informed decision to stay there or not. Someone came up to clean the table and chairs but didnt touch the floor of the balcony. Went back to the room after breakfast to find a man hanging off the scaffolding over our balcony and more dirt and dust flying everywhere. I complained again, they said they didnt know the workmen would be there on a Saturday, they offered to move us, and gave me the £30 back for the balcony supplement, but no rooms with balcony were available, the one next door had been saved for someone else staying on the Saturday night. I was fuming that no one had bothered to tell us about the ongoing works that completely affected our stay. The room by the way was very dated, small and grotty. I presume the refurbishment will sort this out. On my return I sent an email to the hotel complaining, I have never received an acknowledgement of my email, I have call twice now and spoken to reception staff who confirmed they had received my email and then spoke to a deputy manager who told me the general manager has my email but she isnt in everyday. Over a week later now and still no acknowledgement or contact from anyone at the hotel. What ever happened to common courtesy and customer service. I am about to make my third call to the hotel but wont hold my breath for a reply.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker dont choose room 19 it is directly above the entrance and everyone gathers o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Julie C
huddersfield
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have stayed at St.Ives before but this time we found the refurb was really nice. Our room was cosy and comfy very clean. The dinning room was very nice food excellent, the grandchildren loved the swimming pool and there,s plenty of entertainment for them. The staff could not do enough for you and we're very polite and friendly. Great weekend was had by all we will return . The hotel is in a great location nice walk on seafront . Value for money!!!

Room Tip: Room 44 is over ballroom but we didn't find it a problem ask when booking . Balcony rooms are gr...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family