“Excellent Foot”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Lake District, Cumbria
“Excellent Foot”
Reviewed 27 February 2007

We recently visited the St. Ives Hotel, St. Annes for a short break. We have stayed at St. Annes many times, but last visited the St. Ives approx. 14 years ago. We had a disappointing visit at that time, but thought we would give it another go.

Our bedroom was on the first floor [there is now a lift available to this floor]. It had a lovely sea view and both bedroom and bathroom had been fairly recently refurbished, they were clean, comfortable and still in reasonably good decorative order.

There has been a lot of refurbishment going on at the St. Ives, over the years, but some areas are still desperately needing worked done, in particular, the swimming pool and snack bar area are both very shabby.

There is a well equipped games room, with a pool table, air hockey, table tennis etc. The games room always seemed to be occupied by a large group of older children who did not appear to use the facilites, but made it difficult for other guests to use them.

The Pier Restaurant was run by an efficient and hardworking manageress . The staff were very pleasant and hardworking, but very few of them spoke much english. The food served in the restaurant was of excellent quality. There was plenty of variety for both breakfast and the evening meals. However, [inspite of the excellent food], we felt the meals were not the most relaxing /enjoyable experience, due mainly to the restaurant being totally self service, and the tables needing to be cleared and reset for the next sitting of guests, so we did feel rather hurried.

We only visited the bar/ballroom area of the hotel once [as this was also the smoking area & there was quite a lot of guests who did smoke]. It was disappointing to find the majority of the childrens entertainment took place in this area. We don't smoke & one of our children has quite severe asthma, so this excluded us from the family entertainment.

The entertainment/Disco went on until quite late on the second night of our stay, and the room we were occupying was almost above the lounge bar/ballroom and therefore very noisy. We didn't mind a little muffled noise, but it did sound as if the disco was actually playing in our bedroom!

The children seemed to enjoy themselves, they did appear to have the run of the hotel, [at all times] but to be fair it was the half term holiday when we visited, so this was maybe to be expected. This could easily be a really excellent hotel, if the excess noise and smoking issues were dealt with.

We did enjoy this visit rather more than our previous visit [14 years ago], but smoking and noise were the main problems then, and still are now, so this is an area where things have not improved.

Note: Possibly banning smoking until the family entertainment has ended, and advising guests if there bedroom is likely to be in a 'noisy' area of the hotel, would go a long way to solving the main issues. [It would certainly have solved our problems].

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank Brigg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
England
Reviewed 1 September 2006

I stayed at the St Ives with my two children for two nights. We had a great sea view and the room was spacious and clean, (the kids had a separate room with a sliding door separating them from the main bedroom).

The hotel has a nice, albeit small, swimming pool which we used on our second day. There is a programme of kids' entertainment throughout the day, (face painting, etc. - extra charges apply for some activities) which we didn't use. There is evening entertainment on offer in the bar area - absolutely not my thing, but people seemed to be enjoying it, whilst there is a games' room downstairs with game machines, air hockey, pool table, etc. for the kids.

There were a lot of unsupervised children running around at times, but nothing too annoying. The hotel seemed popular with extended families, although we did see some elderly couples minus the grandchildren!

Service was friendly enough, and the breakfast was probably the best I've had for the money, (£70 per night, per room, inc. breakfast through laterooms).

Car parking is available and the hotel is situated directly opposite St Annes Pier, only a short drive away from Blackpool itself.

Assuming we could get the same room, at a similar price, I would definitely stay at the St Ives again.

2 Thank micra1
Hampshire
Reviewed 20 August 2006

Just returned from a fabulous few days with my wife and 3 children (10, 6 and 3 - strange names I know but we like them!), staying at the St Ives. We had a sea-view, family room (which was 2 rooms really), en suite with a very large (king size bed) and an adjoining room separated from the main bedroom by a sliding door with 2 singles and a trundle bed. The room(s) were very clean, nicely decorated with modern furniture and decor. We were on a DBB basis and the food and service was excellent. All meals were buffet style but this meant plently of choice, eat as much as you like. My kids loved it (and if they're happy we're happy!). The restaurant and reception staff were great and nothing was too much trouble. The facilities and entertainment were also better than I had expected - and provided some really good family entertainment. The kids really seemed to enjoy having the run of the hotel during the day and then spend some 'quality family' time in the evening during the live entertainment. The only thing that spoilt an otherwise fabulous stay was the hotel's policy on SMOKING. If the hotel staff/owner reads this PLEASE don't wait for the law to change do it now and BAN SMOKING in the Ballroom. We spoke to a number of families during our stay and we all said the same thing - just because of a few inconsiderate individuals, families with small children were forced to sit in a smoke filled environment in order to watch the entertainment. I am sure bookings from families with children would go up not down if you advertised as a Non Smoking Hotel - and the decor would stay nicer and smell better too! All in all (so long as you can put up with the smoke) a very good, kid friendly hotel for a UK seaside holiday.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
7 Thank HantsFamily
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 March 2006

I stayed there while working in Lytham many times during 2004.

Its not the best place to stay if you are there on business, but the TV room helped when Euro 2004 was on.

There is nightly entertainment that is categorised by the season, they repeat the same things each week so don't stay more than 7 days!

There is a games room, that has things like Air Hockey, Pinball etc. A small (very) small play area outside (although you wouldn't know it was there unless you stayed in one of the rooms next to it).

There is a Sauna, and a small swimming Pool. But they used to have lessons in there (I assume for local children on some evenings) so sometime you couldn't go there.

It was clean, cosy. A nice place, good for a small familiy to saty in BUT a bit pricely I found.
Go when they have one of their offers on (they have them all the time)

They also had two rooms right out back, that had 5 or 6 beds in. They weren't really rooms, more apartments (very scruffy though). I actually had one to myself and slept in a differetn bed each night, just to annoy the cleaner.

The food is quite good, you just help yourselves to anything. And go back for seconds (well I did).
Beware, if you order a sandwich from room service or the bar, it will be something that was left over that evening, or even the day before.

Its also RIGHT on the sea front, near the peir (not that theres anything to do there). But its nice if you fancy a walk in the beach. You just need to cross the road.

All in all, not a bad place to saty. I've stayed in much worse!

• Stayed June 2004, travelled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 January 2006

We go to St Ives every year with our kids.They also love it.The entertainment is excellent but the food is tremondous .It was one of the best holidays I have ever been on.It was so good we have booked again this year!!I would recommend it to everyone!(with children)

• Stayed January 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed 20 September 2005

I booked the St Ives Hotel and was concerned that when I booked the only room that was available which was a double family room it came with a £10 supliment and then informed that because the room was better quality it would cost another £10 but it was all that was available!
I was concerned, but needed a room. When I arrived I was told by a young girl that the management had changed my booking to a room called (The Basement), and I should look at it!!!!
The room was indeed a basement and looked like something from a horror film. I walked to the neerest hotel next door and managed to book a very nice room. I suspect that this hotel is a rip off with management that have no scruples. I was not offered any compensation or given a reason for the change. I will never stay here again and would suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business