“TINY DOUBLE ROOM!!”
Review of The Grand Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lytham St Anne's
The Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Pleasant receptionists and staff.
Wonderful food.
Great spa and pool.
Tiny bedroom, but clean.....

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WalesTravellers
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

Dear Wales Travellers,

Thank you for your comments.
I am assuming that you stayed in one of our executive compact rooms.
I would urge anybody who requires plenty of space to book an executive plus room and above.

Regards,

Reviewed 2 January 2012

If you look at the website the rooms featured are at the front of the hotel which appeared to refurbished the room we were in was at the back of hotel and do not resemble the pictures. However, The bedroom was clean spacious with full length windows with a view of the sea. The bed was a kingsize and very comfortable. You have your own fridge and an ice machine in the hallwayThe bathroom was large with a separate bath and shower.

The breakfast was excellent and i decided not to take up the cooked option and there was more than enough to choose from including fresh fruit. Dinner service was slow one of the main courses was cold and had to be sent back. It took them 1hour 45 to service us with 2 courses. Hmm.

My only gripe would be there table water policy. You get one small bottler of water in your fridge in your room and one each for dinner. Late afternoon we were in the bar and had paid for a couple of beers and my partner also had a coke. She had a tickly throat and was coughing and asked for a glass of tap water to clear her throat. The bar person said the above policy. £2.75 for a bottle of water. I think we spent enough money at the hotel to merit being given a glass of water. This is not a policy which is in the interests of your customers. Having said that we very much enjoyed our stay and will return later in 2012

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear turkey1000,

Thank you for taking time to give us some feedback it is much appreciated.
In response to the water policy, we offer our entire café grand customers complimentary mineral water, no exceptions!
Whether you are dining, just here for a drink or need to take medication it is a new introduction as a part of enhancing our service standards.
We have only recently introduced this idea and are still training our staff on the procedure as it differs from our function facility. In the Lytham St Anne’s Suite we offer mineral water during the meal but not afterwards, in which case it is chargeable.
However tap water will be available from the function bar served in a tumbler on request, not to tables in the form of jugs.
Please bear with us whilst we are training our staff on the above policies.

Thank you for your custom, I hope all is now clear and we hope to see you later this year.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 January 2012

I have been going to the Grand Hotel one way or another since I was fifteen (having been at boarding school till then). My mother and father regularly frequented what was then the lovely coctail bar and even had their silver wedding in one of the function rooms which was delightful. I met my partner sixteen years ago and when we were courting he loved going to the Grand which he thought was elegant and comfortable. We even stayed on a couple of occasions. We booked for New Year and my partner was horrified to notice the change from a warm and welcoming reception with comfortable cosy lounge to a wide cold austere huge room with a large reception area flanked by a few black uncomfortable looking chairs. We were allocated a room on the second floor (although we had requested and told we could have one on the first) which was large and with an incredible view. The beds were wonderful, comfortable and large. The wardrobe was so small that when a couple of coats and trousers were hung, that was all there was room for - bad luck if you had any dresses etc., to hang. The bathroom was also modern and very small with a walk in shower that when in use completely flooded the room. There was abslutely no room anywhere to put anything especially in the bathroom, whoever designed the space (or lack of) was definitely not a woman. The room was cold although the lady who was next door told me their room was much colder and the bathroom was like a fridge (I know I went in). However, having read a previous review I went armed with a small mini heater, an electric underblanket and bottle and so we were quite cosy. The response about the hotel being temperature controlled is just a load of rubbish. The weather was so bad that night we decided to eat in the modern restaurant which is 'L' shaped with a large round bar in the centre, all very modern and pleasant to look at. The food I have to compliment them on was always excellent but the music in the restaurant would have done justice to a teenage disco, so loud we could not hear ourselves talking - so much for a relaxing evening meal. On querying this the waiter announced that this is the way it was! However, I have to say a lovely young lady came and managed to turn off the speaker booming just above us. Even so we pushed our meal down and fled to the other end of the hotel for some peace to finish our drink. The New Year's eve dinner dance was extremely pleasant and well run although the music could have done with a better singer. To sum up, this is a hotel which has been renovated more for the younger generation. The staff are some of the best I have come across, friendly, helpful and always willing to go the extra distance if you have a problem or even want some help. Function wise excellently and professionally run but vision wise definitely lacks the warmth and character which this wonderful old hotel used to have i.e. it has definitely lost its 'old world charm'.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor very cold.

Dear Christine H

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the changes we have made to the hotel interior, these changes were made some six years ago now and the old style hotel seems a distant memory to us all! However some original features such as stained windows, wood panelling, and high ceilings with original coving have been enhanced creating a contemporary look that our market segment requires.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food within the hotel, the chefs work very hard under my direction and your comments are a pleasing to us all, as you may be aware when reading previous reviews, before entering into hotel management I worked at The Grand for many years as a chef then head chef (having previously been at a comprehensive school).

Our temperature controlled heating system is operated by Trend software which maintains a constant 21 degrees temperature through out the hotel.
The only explanation that I can give to you is that we did experience 50+ mph winds during your stay, being on the seafront facing the prevailing wind it does tend to have an effect on the more elderly guest who may feel a touch more cold than usual.

I would like to thank you for your business, it is appreciated especially in the current financial climate. however I am also aware that that you will probably never return to The Grand and wish you every success in finding a hotel with the ‘old world charm’.

With this in mind I would recommend that to you never to bring an electric heater or blanket into another hotel, they are a serious fire hazard, if they malfunctioned they could put everyone’s lives in jeopardy!
Please, please inform any future hotel management that you intend to do this before you arrive!

Kind Regards

Reviewed 31 December 2011

I wasnt staying in the hotel, but was there for a wedding reception on Friday 30th december 2011. The service and food was fantastic. I am coeliac and this had been flagged up with the hotel in advance. I couldnt fault them. They managed to serve my food in a discreet way that didnt make me stand out like a sort thumb, which sometimes happens. The maitre'd, Caroline or Carol Ann was absolutely brilliant and directed the team of waiters and waitresses whilst remaining unobtrusive and the service ran like clockwork. The main course was lamb, which was so tender, you could cut it with a butter knife. They also managed to serve me the same as the other guests for two of the courses, which had been adapted by the chef. Well done the Grand Hotel, for service and quality - outstanding!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2012

Dear Gill S

Thank you for your kind comments, it is pleasing to here so were so well looked after!
Well done to Caroline and the Events team, they won our department of the year award for 2011.
If any reviewers would like to give special praise to any team member it is always taken into consideration when we make our annual employee awards.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 December 2011

As another regular guest of this hotel we just wanted to praise the staff once again for an excellent stay. I know our previous comment stated The Grand Hotel has spoilt us for other hotels and this is true. I understand you get what you pay for but The Grand really excels for value for money when you consider the standard of accomodation, amenities, food quality and its staff. You can tell what we think of the hotel when we have just booked 2 more visits to this hotel during 2012 and no doubt more will be booked.

Dear jasonfan,

Thank you for kind words, all the staff enjoy reading trip advisor reports and it really does help motivate the team when we receive such a glowing review.
We all appreciate your repeat custom and look forward to looking after you in 2012.

All the best,

Reviewed 16 December 2011

We have been to the family run Grand several times since the mid nineties and have found on each occasion the hotel facilities, rooms, food and service just gets better and better.

We have been fortunate to have stayed in the different grades of rooms, all of which have something interesting to offer. On this occasion we were in an executive plus room to the side of the hotel. The room was of a good size and very well appointed. The bathroom was as big as most hotel bedrooms and had not only a large bath but also a walk in wet room with 2 showers.

As well as going to one of the party evenings we also ate on two occasions in Cafe Grand. As always the food was of a very high quality. Special mention must go to the lunch/daytime tapas special, which, as well as being of the expected quality, was tremendous value for money.

As others have said the hotel is in a great location on the sea front with good parking facilities and having visited a couple of others on the front it is streets ahead of the competition.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Grand particularly to celebrate a special occasion.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2011

Dear ianjacraig,

I am delighted to read your comments regarding your many visits to the hotel.
Your comments are testament to the hard work of all our staff and the ongoing investment into the hotel, which would not be possible without the continued support of all our customers.

We do appreciate your custom and I would like to wish you a very merry Christmas and a
Prosperous 2012

All the best

Reviewed 8 December 2011

Stayed for the Xmas party in an executive double room which was clean and spacious,also had a fridge which was a plus.Excellent location on the seafront but weather was against us having a good walk but the leisure facilities were very good.Party night was excellent with quality food,good disco and atmosphere.Only downside was the bar prices are bit on the high side.Continental breakfast was sufficent for us after the party and had good selection of pastries,etc.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2011

Dear Tattiepot,

Thank you for your review, I’m pleased you enjoyed your party night.
All the party night pictures are available in the gallery section of our website under function pictures, maybe you can spot yourself!

Thank you for your custom and we hope to see you again at the hotel.

Kind regards