“far above a 4 star ! perfect for familes and a romantic weekend”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Reviewed 14 September 2009

I booked this hotel very last minute to take my two year old to see the illuminations in Blackpool ( she loved the lights but Blackpool is dreadful ! )

It is a 4 star but having stayed at many hotels around the World I found this hotel was on a par with many 5 stars. The hotel its self is set in an old victorian building right on the front - it is opposite a landscaped park with little pools with swans and a small golf course - there is also a little train and a play area for young ones. This play area shouldnt put you of in any way as it is very discrete and ideal if you have a little one that needs to stretch their legs.

The inside of the hotel is modern,chic and up market. Reception were very helpful and despite the review stating that the staff were surley, they couldnt do enough for us. They were extremely efficient and friendly.

One of the true tests of a good hotel is whether they can cope with any sort of odd request. Stupidly I had forgotten to pack my daughter's pushchair - I asked at reception and they arranged for me to hire one from a company in Blackpool. They even rang me when I was out and about to ask if I wanted to pick it up or have it delivered.

Depsite being upmarket I didnt feel uncomfortable with a small child. Highchairs were promptly offered at dinner and were very clean and working ( ive stayed in 5 stars were the chairs were all broken ). I was told that I only had to ring if I needed anything for my daughter at night. They even let us keep the room for an extra hour after check out as my daughter needed a sleep.

The food was a perhaps a bit pricey but I have to say that everything that we ate ( two breakfasts and a evening meal ) was absolutely perfect and impeccable quality - the orange juice freshly seqeezed etc....... so much so that you didnt really mind the price

Our room was the 'ribble suite' or 217 - as with the rest of the hotel it was 5 star. Big bay windows overlooking the sea - extremely calm and luxurious atmosphere. The linen was white and crisp, the pillows plump and the duvet thick and warm. Our room had one large double which they converted in to two beds ( I was travelling with my mum ) plus there was another single bed for my daughter. There were two comfy sofas and a large flat screen TV and DVD player. There was an ironing board, iron, safe and tea and coffee facilities with a fridge - I liked the tea facilities as it seems to be the practice not to provide them these days forcing you to pay for room service. My only slight gripe ( and it is very very slight ) was the bathroom, which was perfectly fine but wasnt quite as swish as the room. That said the room was warm ( ive frozen in enough rooms it the past ) and quiet. All the rooms have free broad band.

Special mention must be made about the Spa - this is a real hidden Gem for this Hotel. It was lovely and very up market. Again I can say that I have stayed in Hotels where the Spa is small and dingy or just plain dirty - this Spa was the exact opposite. There was a reception and I was escorted around - shown where the fluffy towels were and the robes. The changing rooms consisted of lockers and individual changing rooms with a shower, toilet and changing area. This is perfect if you have children in that you can keep them all together!

The pool was heated and the whole area was spotless. There were sun loungers and a hot tub, sauna and solarium. What was lovely was that beside the pool was a cafe/ bar so you could sit and eat in your robe - I saw a couple have a full meal ! It was very relaxing with complimentary magazines and newspapers - there was an outside sun deck. Again I took my daughter with me and no one said a word and we were both made to feel welcome. There was also a large and fully equipt Gym - since I never go in such places I cant comment further but it all looked brand new and comprehensive. The only thing lacking was that this hotel does not do treatments, but I suspect that if you asked they would try and arrange something for you.

I was extremely impressed with this hotel, its facilities and staff. I had a lovely break and I didnt think that it was overpriced. In truth I cannot see why it is not a 5 star. I would wholey recommend it and in particular to familes and anyone thinking of having a romantic weekend, (Lytham St Annes is lovely and had an air of the old victorian seaside - and a world away from Blackpool - it would be a lovely place to visit for a long weekend )

I will be returning to this hotel and recommending it to friends and familes. ( I can attach any photos as I forgot may camera too ! )

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank tennyson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed 30 August 2009

We only stayed one night, as they were fully booked up for bank holiday, and we booked at very short notice, after cancelling the Dirty Dalmeny.
As usual, it was clean, lovely rooms, warm, good location, nice staff and the pool...is so warm and a decent size, with a jacuzi, sauna,and gym! The food is also good in the restaraunt. The rooms have a decent sized bathroom, tea/cofee making facilities, a dvd player and flatscreen tv, and all the usual things you would expect. Although it is more expensive than most in the area, it is by far the best on the large row of hotels on the promenade!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank iloveengland202
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Beautiful hotel but let down by some surly, unhelpful staff. Booked a room with a sea view but got a view of the car park instead. Carpet in the room was dirty. Overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PrincessAng
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights to attend a friends wedding. The hotel is by far the nicest along the Lytham St Annes sea front, the exterior is attractive and well kept, ideal for a wedding reception. The lobby/bar/restaurant/function areas have been recently refurbished to a very high standard and the rooms are in progress. We had room 418 which was a seaview, refurbished, large double bed, clean and tidy. No complaints at all although breakfast was only continental, if we wanted cooked it was an extra £6.50 which I think should be included in the room rate given the cost. The pool/sauna area was very good athough the beauty salon facilities were not yet open. Ideally located, only a 5 minute walk to L-st-A town centre, 10 min drive from Blackpool pleasure beach. Would not hesitate to recommend for a weekend away or private function.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank hammyryder79
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We had mixed feelings. For a start, it was the only decent hotel to choose, so it was out of necessity really.
Very old, bit dirty in places. Lovely pool and outside areas. Lovely bar and lovely restuarant.
Our room was in the new extension, so very clean and everything brand new.
Would stay here again if I could be guaranteed a new room.

Reception staff very rude, thought they owned the place. Bar staff lovely. Full of 'posh' people, many families and older people.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seahorsesparkle
Reviewed 21 April 2009

The Grand is one of its kind in St Annes where every next house is a B&B or a small hotel. It is locate just in front of the se and has the biggest and the best rooms i have seen n St Annes. They have been spending quite some amount on modernising the property and you can see that in the new rooms that they have built. I have stayed here for more than 10 times and tried different room. ALthough a bit ppricey but it is value for money. Overall it is very good.

Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank saurabhnath
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Recently stayed for 2 nights for a wedding. We had a fantastic sea view room. Didn't get chance to use the spa but friends stated it was great. Staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good. We had a couple of small problems with our bill but it was sorted without fuss. Our bathroom was a bit staid and could do with being refurbished. The walls of our room seemed thin as we could hear next door's voices quite clearyl. Apart from those two minor points everything else was good.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple