“Great venue, nice pub, terrible service”
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Ranked #29 of 119 Restaurants in Lymington
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I regularly drink in The Ship as it has the nicest location in the whole town, down at the Town Quay at the bottom of the Quay Street cobbles. The pub itself is lovely, especially in the winter when they have a nice roaring fire. The same cannot be said for the bar service, which is shockingly bad. I often go for a few early drinks on a Friday, around 6pm, and despite the pub being relatively quiet I often wait 10 minutes for a drink. If you are just visiting you might be prepared to put up with this because the pub itself and its location are great, but poor service week in week out gets very tiring for us locals.

2  Thank willcarson

Reviewed 27 August 2010

I could write 1* or at best 2* reviews for most of the 'gastro' pubs that I have visited in the UK, mainly I believe because the owners , in their quest for big fat profits, pay minimum wages to poorly trained/inspired staff. Here at The Ship, we enjoyed a much better experience. Good food, timely service and staff that at least appeared to care about The Customer. All on a warm summers day in a great location.

Reviewed 13 August 2010

We arrived in Lymington on our first holiday with our 8 month old son. He was hungry and we were looking for somewhere for him and us to eat, we found The Ship Inn. We went in and asked if they had room,which they did. We asked if they had a high chiar which they did not. We then asked if they would be able to heat our sons food which they would not. The staff were cold and obviously uninterested in helping out this family so we turned and left to find another place that would actually show that they want our custom. On an evening out my partner and I decided to spend a rare evening alone together in The Ship purely because of the ability to sit outside and watch the world go by. The house wine was awful and I left half the glass and the service was still dismal and unfriendly so apparently it's not just families they object to but customers in general!

1  Thank shellymac77
Reviewed 16 July 2010

This is a great gastro pub, and is even open all day for us late lunchers. Great find, but if you eat at peak times you will have to book.

Reviewed 5 July 2010

Amazing views across the harbour. Great atmosphere but does get very busy - prepare to wait 10 minutes to get served on a Friday evening. Worth the effort though.

Friday night has an ongoing offer of house champagne at £15 a bottle - and very nice too!