“Good Veggie choice”

Ranked #22 of 120 Restaurants in Lymington
Price range: US$10 - US$22
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Despite dating back at least 300 years, many of the original features of The Kings Head can still be seen today.When you visit The Kings Head you will see the long-lasting beams made from Napoleonic Ships that only add to the character of this old English pub.The pretty courtyard that we see today was previously used for fish-drying, whilst the buildings adjacent to the yard were an abattoir and fishermans house.Despite these drastic changes over time, the inside of the pub has remained somewhat the same and the great open fire that cannot be missed. It is these characteristics that, when you visit, make it easy to imagine the pub back in the 18th Century as a regular haunt for the smugglers and sailors that would frequent this famous sailing town.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

It was a sunny day so we decided to hit the coast; on our return from Hurst Castle we swung into Lymington in search of a place for a late lunch. The Kings Head is at the bottom end of the High Street and I remembered from our last visit to Lymingon peering in and thinking it looked quaint and cosy inside but hadn't ventured in. The menu on the board outside said they were serving meals until 3pm so that ticked that box and in we went. What a delightful old pub it is, most inviting with candles on the tables and a lovely sunny courtyard outside. On inspecting the menu, I noticed a big selection of Veggie dishes, so many in fact I did a double-take: veggies are never ususally catered for on this scale in pubs. I am not a veggie these days but decided the Halloumi in Batter with chips sounded rather interesting: it was delicious and made such a change from Fish and Chips - lovely light batter on the Halloumi and proper crispy chips of the triple cooked type. My husband's burger was excellent apparently. I will certainly be returning with one of my veggie mates who I'm sure will be delighted to have choices other than the ever present Mac' Cheese. So glad we ventured in, a super end to a lovely day on the coast.

1  Thank thehippohaslanded

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The King's Head is a traditional English pub that serves very good food - it is cosy (a bit dark) but friendly staff and good value make it worth a visit.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Check your bill before you pay: I used to go to this place as a youngster with my parents and since reconnecting with Lymington was eager to renew the acquaintance with it. I booked the evening before but when we got there they had no record of the booking. The food was pleasant enough but we had a tab and when we came to pay the young man tried to over charge us by £20. We had had 4 mains all priced the same, a bottle of wine and a white wine so not difficult to be aware what the bill should be. When David said "I think not" he quickly back tracked and blamed the "machine". Sad as it leaves a bitter taste.

1  Thank 261Carole_R261
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We started dining at the Kings Head about a year ago, after seeing all the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We regularly visit the area to see our Daughter and need somewhere relaxing with good food to eat after seeing her (she is disabled). For a good while, we were not disappointed and have had some lovely evenings with good wine and tasty food. However, sadly, our last few visits have not been quite so good. The menu still has a nice choice, but the portions appear smaller. Sometimes the food is not as well cooked (for example the chips were overcooked). I really hope this is just a blip, as I don't want to search for somewhere else in the area.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Went for Sunday lunch , we both had the roast Beef & I can honestly say it was the best roast that I have had for a very long time. The portions are very generous & there was a good selection of veg with the meal plus extra gravy. The food arrived very quickly too. Will most certainly visit again when next down that way, also liked the fact that they are A dog friendly pub/restaurant .

1  Thank Shona S