“Great first time experience”
Review of East End Arms

East End Arms
Ranked #16 of 41 Lymington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Came here as something of a celebration. Sat in the dining area on some lovely old leather sofas next to the fireplace (which I imagine is amazing during the winter).

The food was delicious: juicy steak cooked perfectly with some very moreish scallops to start. I'm also an ale drinker and the guest they had on tap was a gulpingly tasty golden 'session ale'.

Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Guy A

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a two night stay, the room was very clean and tidy. Evening meal was very well seasoned, prepared and cooked to a very high standard. I had a starter of scallops with a stunning puree which complemented the dish. The selection of desserts were a good way to end a good night.
I would recommend this gastropub (with room) without any hesitation.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tony W
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I were spending a few days in the area and decided to find a pub where we could park and them make a circular walk, finishing at the pub for lunch. The East End Arms is perfect. After a bracing walk around the edge of the New Forest we stepped inside out of the cold wind to a warm bar with a roaring fire. As it was lunch time we both picked a sandwich,, both the Roast Lamb with mint sauce, but mine was with chips and Granary bread, and my wife's with crisps and white bread. My Beer from the wood was perfect, as were the sandwiches when they arrived, stuffed with warm lamb and spicy with the mint sauce. Great Lunch!
I would like to return some time for dinner, the menu looked enticing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wardieeee
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Was staying near by and came here a couple of times. First time for food and a drink, secondly time just for a drink (this speaks volumes). The bar is what you'd expect of a new Forrest country pub. The good atmosphere is created by friendly locals and a good vibe. The bar staff however I found a little nervous or aloof. The place needs a good friendly outgoing landlord to make people feel really at home.
The food was really very average. Normal pub grub done to an ok standard, nothing to write home about. I would go back for the food.
Could do much better if they found the right manager and chef.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Siruarjo
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed here at the end of January. Had the pub included an e-mail address on its web site I would have written direct but as they do not I am placing my feedback on Trip Advisor in the hope they will take note as this is provided to be helpful and enable changes to be made that would make the place really good. I agree with feedback from another guest below, there are some simple things that are anoying for guests but are simple and relatively cheap to rectify, First and foremost, I booked a superior room at £120 only to find the room we had was in fact listed as a basic double room on Booking.com. We had to mend the shower head and the toilet flush pull which was hanging off - some simple checks of the room surely should have picked this up!. There was no heating in the bathroom which in January is not particularly nice. There were just 2 bottles of shampoo - no bath or shower gel! I expect a lot more for the price charged!! - and only one towel each! - with no heating there was no where to dry towels so my morning shower ended with a cold damp towel. One packet of 2 biscuits on the tray in the room!. No dressing table in the room.

Despite other reviews saying the food was really good - our experience was quite the opposite. No bread provided with our starters - a lack of attention to detail maybe?. The place seems to have a lack of cutlery as only a spoon provided for desert which when eating a poached pear is tricky and we feared the fruit would catapult across the room at any minute!! My meal was sent back to the kitchen as the lamb was so well cooked I couldn't cut it! - it returned raw!!. OK so the manager agreed to remove our meal from our bill but our evening and weekend was somewhat spoilt! - and I was still hungry!.
Breakfast was good - small but of good quality.
As mentioned in other reviews, the bar is great, full of locals and banter and a lovely open fire. However when we arrived we received no welcome from the person behind the bar - not agreat start!. The place really needs a charasmatic personality behind the bar to make this place great! We thought he manageress (the owners daughter we believe) appeared quite nervous and not really in her comfort zone as front of house.

OK the place is owned by a member of a rock band but don't 'play' too heavily on this to the detrement of value for money and some basic standards we customers expect for the price!.

Room Tip: We had a double room overlooking the front of the pub.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank healeyBristol
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed on a Saturday night. Having had a hard day's walking (or given the recent weather, walking and wading). The bar had commandeered a television from a neighbour and was packed watching England lose gallantly to France.
The Inn had a great feel, very friendly bar with first class beer, good restaurant, and very clean, cosy bedrooms.
Impressive, friendly staff who coped admirably with the weather (the place had recently been flooded by the storms, and there was a hand-written sign on the door saying "you may need your wellies".
A relaxed start, breakfast on a Sunday doesn't start till 9, but worth waiting for.
I really liked it- the sort of place you look forward to going back to. great walking nearby, a lovely part of the country, and an excellent unpretentious, very welcoming Inn.
Top marks

Room Tip: Superior room at the side is quieter and bigger than those over the bar at the front.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tjtl
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We enjoyed a top stay at the East End Arms recently, and would certainly go back. The room was nicely presented and very clean. Fresh milk was offered on checking in and a nice bottle of mineral water awaited us in the room. Two simple things that go a long way in my eyes.
The bar downstairs is small and friendly and the ales were well kept and reasonably priced.
The evening meal in the restaurant was superb as was the breakfast.
All in all, excellent.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
The Mill at Gordleton
Marine House
Marine House
#2 of 9 in Milford on Sea

Been to East End Arms? Share your experiences!