“Exceptional Service”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Shropshire
“Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed for three nights, this was our first (but not last) time at Passford, taking advantage of a three day special offer to include bed, breakfast and evening meal. The hotel is situated in a peaceful location, nestled away in the New Forest countryside. Our intention was to use the hotel as a base to explore the New Forest, however once we had discovered the picturesque gardens we spent longer than planned in the hotel grounds. The service was excellent, the staff were very attentive, professional and eager to please, the meals were served quickly with a personal feel. The menu is varied with a good selection of meat, vegeratian and fish options. The quality and variety of food was excellent. We opted for a standard room, which was good value for money, and overlooked the beautiful gardens. We will definately return

Room Tip: Our standard room was very good, no complaints and good value for money, our room had great views an...
2 Thank WearyTraveller052

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

We stayed for three nights and had a pleasant stay. Our room had a huge bed and overlooked the gardens which are beautiful. The shower was powerful and the bedroom and bathroom were clean.

I used the indoor swimming pool which was very quiet and had changing rooms/lockers etc. I would recommend you stroll around the gardens. We did not eat in the dining room as we had a small baby with us but they were happy for us to choose from the dining room menu and eat in the bar. The food was lovely and the service was great.

Breakfast was good, and lots of it. There is also a big car park, and the hotel is well situated for Lymington and the surrounding villages, although presumably you need a car to get around.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DKL-7
New Forest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

What first struck me was the décor - about 30-40 years out of date. Really not overly welcoming.

Pre-dinner drinks was not hugely exciting, and served in what looked like an average pub, with a dreadful carpet (which was carried out throughout the establishment). I actually wanted a (proper) beer, but the boring standard dross on offer showed a distinct lack of imagination and effort. The wine list was similar - very little effort. At least my Coke came with a few nibbles.

Taken through to the dining room - wow - what a horrible, dated room it is. There were 3 other tables occupied in a large room, so all got rather lost, although we were seated practically on top of one of the other occupied tables. I thought that the piped music was wholly unnecessary but the Mrs said that in a large room that was largely empty, it was probably necessary. You have to ask why a restaurant like this is nigh on empty. I have been to places such as the Pig on a mid-week evening and it is heaving.

The food was food. Nothing wrong with it, but really nothing special either and for the price it should have been a lot better. The blurb on the fine dining on their web site is risible. Maybe their idea of fine dining is different from mine - what I got is something I could have done at home myself, and I really am not great cook! They say " We don’t believe in going the extra mile to get our produce" and it sure did show.

Service - well the waiters were all efficient and cheerful. I was once told the mark of a good restaurant is that the waiters know who ordered what, so didn't have to ask when it arrives at the table. When the other 3 tables left (at about 8.30pm) the waiters started clearing all the tables around us and laying up for breakfast. They had no idea that this was not what should be done.

Would I go back (the ultimate test of an establishment)? NO. I do try and be objective and while I might often be a wee bit over critical, here is an exception. It was a toss up between poor and terrible, but as the food was just OK (and my steak came as ordered at medium rare), poor might be more appropriate. Whatever, in this day and age, it really wasn't good enough and struck me as an establishment trying to do fine dining without knowing what they were doing, while trying to do everything as cheap as possible. Dreadful ambience, very average food, average service and above average cost = poor. (If my father in law reads this, I don't want to come across as ungrateful for the diner invitation, but this review is, as I say, trying to be objective),

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Charles M
Liskeard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed just one night but wished it could have been longer!. Had requested quiet room and room allocated was just this and overlooking the hotels wonderful gardens. Room was excellent in allways. staff were efficient and attentive, food at both dinner and breakfast was very good although would have preferred table service for breakfast as opposed to buffet.Looking forward to a return longer stay.

2 Thank coffeeman100
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

I had read the reviews for this hotel and decided to discount the couple of those which were negative. However I do agree now on some points. The hotel is in a lovely location with super grounds. I did try the pool which was small and the jacuzzi did not work. It was somewhat neglected. Our room was a superior room overlooking the garden but we too were sent in the wrong direction. The room had a large watermark down the wall which I did mention and they did not seem to know about. The food in the evening in the restaurant was of an excellent standard but I do not expect, in a hotel of this price, to have to serve myself a hot breakfast from heated containers which had been sitting about. The staff were friendly and they coped well with my coeliac diet. I had hoped for a relaxing spoilt break but left feeling a bit cheated and would not class this as good value for money.

2 Thank judeandclive
Gillingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

We had pre-booked a 2 night stay via The New Forest website as the hotel looked cosy and had good facilities, how wrong we were!
The lady who checked us in only seemed interested in booking us a table for dinner (without showing us the menu). She didn't tell us the hotel basics such as what time breakfast was and where the restaurant was etc. She then sent us to the wrong end of the hotel to find our room! After returning to reception and asking someone else for directions we finally found the room. The room was VERY dated and dark. The gardens were nice and the pool looked ok although we didn't go in.
When it came to going to bed I spent most of the night stuck in the dip in the middle of the bed listening to the neighbours through the paper thin walls. I probably slept around 3 hours.
The following morning we visited the 'extensive fitness centre', what a joke! The 4 machines were as dated as the decor, I'd hardly call it extensive.
I went to reception and spoke to a man that seemed fairy defensive. I told him the bed was extreamly uncomfortable and I'd heard everything from next door and asked if there was any chance we could move rooms, with no apology or concern what so ever I was told that the neighbours were moving out so tonights sleep should be better!
With that my partner and I decided to leave the hotel and find somewhere else to stay. When I told the receptionist that we wanted to check out a day early she didn't even ask why or seem concerned as to why we were unhappy, gives me the impression they see this a lot.
The highlight of the stay was the breakfast which was nice.
This hotel could be lovely if it was updated and the staff focused on customer service, as it is save your money for a much nicer place to stay.
When we finally got into the car to leave it was covered in birds mess, think that basically sums up this hotel!

5 Thank 11Stumpy11
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

We lucked out on our room, booking last minute. Huge four poster room with roll top bath.
Great grounds to explore. We ate in the hotel which was very good with attentive service.
Staff welcoming, efficient and friendly.

Room Tip: Try the four poster room for a romantic treat. You get the best table in the restaurant too!
2 Thank Denisenixonjones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,553 reviews
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to Passford House? Share your experiences!