“Christmas Break”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Christmas Break”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We have just spent 4 days here. What a lovely place. Rooms are decorated in country house style, lots of wood and pastels. The lounges have huge log fires very welcoming on a cold wet evening.The staff are friendly helpful and spot on with service. Always on hand without being obtrusive.The food was first rate the chef is equal if not superior to any top of the range hotel/restaurant. All in all a super place to visit. Baby/child/dog /friendly. We are certainly going to revisit.

Room Tip: An upstairs room which have lovely views over the gardens
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LynnPoly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Sussex UK
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed here for three nights over Christmas and enjoyed an excellent time. The owners have a culture of trying to ensure that guests mix, make friends and they have created an atmosphere of staying at a friend's country house rather than at an hotel.

Without fail all the staff were nice, friendly and helpful. Being a very old building, the layout can seem a bit quirky - but that is part of the charm of Passford House. Despite it being cold outside, the temperature indoors was always very warm and the log fires added greatly to the ambience.

The chef is excellent and all the food was of very high quality. In fact I would say that the chef is a potential Michelin Star chef. The food was as good as almost any five star hotel in London apart, perhaps, from the most elite establishments. Mealtimes were most enjoyable with excellent, attentive service and a friendly, fun atmosphere.

Our room was a little disappointing, being about what one would expect from a good three star hotel. It had everything you needed, of course, but was a little dated and tired. Sleep quality was compromised by something the hotel owners can do very little about - the creaking and noisy floorboards and joists overhead in this old building. I could have been persuaded that an elephant was using the room above us!

Drinks in the bar were reasonably priced, little more than a few pence above pub prices, which was very encouraging! However, the chairs in the public rooms do need reupholstering. Whilst adding to the old, clubby feeling, they have been very well used. The clientele, middle aged and older, do not find it easy to rise from sunken seating. In fact the state of these chairs is the only thing really that has stopped me suggesting that Passford House deserve a five star rating.

In short, I recommend Passford House to anyone who wants to stay in an individual, warm and welcoming hotel - just a two or three miles from Lymington and the New Forest.

Room Tip: As the hotel has grown organically, I understand the rooms are all different shapes and sizes. But a...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed Sunday lunch at this stylish hotel. I loved the decor and especially welcoming were the real log fires in each lounge. Did n't get chance to see the gardens as it began to rain but I imagine they would be lovely in the summer. Well worth a visit!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth UK
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed here for works Christmas party the hotel was fully occupied by all staff from work, on arrival the hotel is very picturesque the staff accommodating and helped us to our room.
We found our room to be very standard it was in style of the hotel country housey the bed was very uncomfortable and defiantly needs replacing, we had tea coffee making facility's a hair dryer trouser press bath and shower and a small LCD tv which I was pleased to see as it shows they are trying to keep up to date.
The hotel was very clean throughout. There is beautiful open logged fires to sit and relax in front off, I couldn't access te wifi the whole time I was there which was annoying as my 3G kept dropping out.
We had a deliousious meal it really was very tasty I enjoyed it thoroughly lamb was cooked to perfection, it was from a Christmas menu.
The choice of drinks and price really let this hotel down, I really needs more choice on tap perhaps a cider on tap to go with the calsberg and tetly. And the price of a vodka lemonade was five pounds which I thought was pretty hefty considering a bottle of Smirnoff is fifteen a litre they have a hefty profit making there!!
Breakfast was a Buffett style and eat as much as u like there was full cooked on offer and cereals cossaints fruit selection of juices and tea and coffee which was all nice.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

Very impressive looking building from the outside. Inside not so great! Extremely old. Smells like my nans house in the room. The reception area is nice, the lounge areas are also nice, but inconsistent. Some look like old people's homes, while others look like old style English houses, (which I like, wooden walls, old paintings, almost needed a moose head on the wall).
EVERYTHING in the room was dated. The carpet was so worn it had gone right through to the brown thread. Chairs were old and worn, lamp shades were stained, dressing table had huge water marks on.
THE BED, was horrific. I like hard beds. This bed had a gaping hole in the middle, meaning me and my partner had to sleep on the very edge of the bed which was slightly firmer. Our feet were a lot higher than our bums, which was really uncomfortable. Terrible nights sleep. And a bad back in the morning.
Very noisy room. Needs soundproofing or something.
Shower was weak. Dribbled water.
Swimming pool was lovely, but needed to be cleaned. Dirt all around walls. The 'hallway' to the pool smelt of sewage. It was rancid. Almost had to hold my nose! There's a little courtyard before the pool. It was dank and dark, no life. Not a nice view for people with rooms there.
Dining room was lovely and the food was really good. We were there for an Xmas party and we really enjoyed it. Service was good.
We didn't have breakfast as it was only served 8-10, don't know whether its different on a Sunday (morning of departure). I feel it should've gone on later to cater for the whole hotel, which was party guests.
All in all the staff make the hotel, the decor is nice in the lounge and reception areas, but in the rooms is dated. Needs to be redecorated.

2 Thank JessOak
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We have just returned from a weekend break in Lymington and I wanted to share my thoughts on Passford house. I have to say i was pleasantly surprised.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel is a delightful historic building surrounded by fields.
Our room was nicely furnished and clean with a very comfy bed and the breakfast was excellent with a good choice.
The pool , sauna and gym were great as we had them to ourselves.
There is a nice garden within the grounds of the hotel which is well worth a visit.
All in all we had a great time at Passford house and I would recommend it as the perfect base for visiting the new forest.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

The staff at Passford House were without exception friendly and gracious. It is a small hotel, run on tight margins, and in need of some TLC, but rescued from mediocrity by its employees, the quality of its breakfast, a fantastic garden and a wonderful indoor heated swimming pool. Our room was above the kitchen, which initially raised some alarm bells, but - as others have observed - the hotel is not one to attract late night festivities, so the typical kitchen noises abated between 10 and 10.30. Our 2 boys were not disturbed and it had no impact on their sleep. The facilities were all in good working order, and although not modern, were generally of good quality. The bed was a little soft for my preference, but not uncomfortable, and the sofa beds on which the kids slept were perfect for their purpose. As mentioned, the breakfast was excellent: fresh croissants and the option of a cooked breakfast or cereals was generous and tasty. Dinner was somewhat hit and miss: I opted for a rather ambitious venison Wellington which didn't quite meet my lofty expectations, and my wife had a chicken dish which was a touch bland. However, my scallops were very good (highly spiced, which I liked...) and the service was attentive. Overall, for a 3 star hotel, it was good value, comfortable and friendly. Suited our needs well.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ginge1966
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
#1 of 2 in Burley
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to Passford House? Share your experiences!