“A mixed bag”

and 1 more site!
Passford House
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This hotel possibly has the most beautiful grounds of any hotel I have visited, certainly in this country. And the original house is delightful too.

Rooms are roomy and nicely cleaned and have all the usual bits and pieces although if you like a glass or bottle of water next to your bed then bring your own as there is no bottle and the glasses in the bathroom are the size of egg cups.

The food is decent but the menu rather limited and if you were staying a week you'd probably be wishing for more choice by the end of the week. There are several cosy sitting rooms with leather sofas and the bar is a nice place for pre-dinner drinks and a waitress will come and take your order and later call you in.

The dining room itself is rather characterless and whilst the waiting staff are exemplary in their attention to detail, they are rather cheerless and most had a look indicating they'd rather be back in their home country. I didn't take breakfast during my stay but my wife described it as unpleasant even by motorway service standards.

But the place is wonderfully quiet and a stroll around the extensive gardens is a most pleasurable way to spend an hour. There is a huge pond, a pet graveyard, a mini golf course and a slightly neglected croquet lawn.

Wifi is hit and miss but I got a decent phone reception on O2. Just a few miles from Lymington this is a good base for a quiet couple of days.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cccustard
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your recent stay with us.

However, I was disappointed to read your comments with regards to breakfast. Please rest assured that this is something that will be monitored closely and improved on as necessary.

I’m afraid poor internet connection / Wifi is an issue throughout the forest, although Hampshire County Council have plans in place to improve this for homes and businesses in the near future.

I was pleased that overall, you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is a lovely old place with loads of character. The grounds are amazing, with nice facilities. And there's a wonderful lounge area, with a nice clubby feel to it. But there's nothing modern at all to the place. That can be fun, but it isn't as nice when it comes to the bedrooms. The beds are very soft and saggy. The TVs are outdated. The fixtures in the bathroom are so old school they're amazing. So you've got to embrace the aged feeling of the place, and then you can enjoy it.

One downside of the dated feel - the WiFi is very poor.

Breakfast was not bad, but the welcome and the service was very poor. We felt like we'd been shunted aside and treated like second class guests. A big disappointment.

We booked last minute and got a very good price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stefan H
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to read about your disappointment with the service levels at breakfast. Rest assured that your points have been taken on board and we will endeavour to improve wherever necessary.

I am pleased that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us, and loved the character of the hotel. I do hope that we might have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We needed a nights accommodation in the New Forest with a restaurant for an evening meal and that all important Bar! We arrived at about four in the afternoon and where shown to our basic room, which was fine for one night, it was a little dated and I have to say that in the case of this room you could sit on the loo and brush your teeth at the same time! It was all very clean but a little crammed in.
A walk around the Gardens took us to the outside swimming Pool which had not yet been opened and one could see a lot of work was needed. The gardens are very large and have plenty of seats to sit out in, some of the main beds newly planted for the Summer. The Hotel I was told are looking to improve on the gardening team at the moment only one gardener is employed ( he has his work cut out!).
To be honest I was not expecting a very good dinner that night, we went down at 7 and were out numbered by the very attentive staff, later a few more guests came in to the large Restaurant but not enough to give any atmosphere. I did ask if the Hotel was full? I was told that it had been, but as half term was over a lot of people had gone, which I think was probably true.
We ordered our food and a bottle of wine from a very nice wine list. Well I was not disappointed by the food, it was very good! More than making up for some of the points above. My only comment would be that the Staff where very quick to clear the table, I did time it, I put my knife and fork down and it took 90 seconds for the plates to be taken. This almost made you feel they wanted you out, and I did mention it to a manager.
A good nights sleep in a nice bed followed with Breakfast, which was again very good, with just about everything you could wish for!
I think this is classed as a 3 star Hotel with a bit of work it could be a Four, it was not the cheapest we have stayed in, compared with 4 star Hotels we have stayed in I think it's just a little over priced at the moment.
Would I return? Yes, the food was great, but I think I would be looking for a deal next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MGalan
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at Passford House Hotel.

We appreciate the constructive points that you have raised and will endeavor to improve where necessary.

I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that we might have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Spent 3 nights here with my mother in law. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. We had a wheelchair so were given room 135 which had a walk in shower as well as a bath. Pity the weather had not been better since I would have loved to have just sat in the beautiful grounds with a good book. Ate there twice in the evening, first night with the lighter bites send then in the restaurant. Both were good but especially enjoyed the lovely ambience of the restaurant.

Hope to return sometime in the future with my husband and would love to book a superior room that opens out into the lovely courtyard.

Room Tip: Room 135 is good for a family since it had a double and single bed. Rooms 121 and 120 are superior r...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

I do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you back in the near future, and hopefully with better weather so you can enjoy our gardens!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for a weekend and was hoping for quiet countryside with access to the New Forest. We were certainly very close to the New Forest but it was not possible to access it from the hotel grounds itself. The grounds need A LOT of attention, just everywhere (including the outdoor swimming pool). The indoor swimming pool was ok but it was very dated also and you actually have to go outside first, walk round the hotel and then you can access the indoor pool. the hotel was actually quite busy, so it wasn't as quiet as we hoped for. They have a lovely sitting room area with a log fire but this was always occupied. I am sure it was lovely to sit there. Our room was small and dated. The whole hotel needs major overhaul. It is one of those typically English hotels, which is nice but the extensions and conversions to the main bit of the hotel seems to have gone a bit haywire and the whole thing looks like an uncomfortable lump. The only thing I enjoyed was the food and the welcoming service from the staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SA-Girl-Gsy
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to wire a review on your recent stay with us at Passford House.

With the wet winter we experienced it has been hard to keep control of the garden now the sun has arrived! We are currently in the process of trying to recruit for help in this area. The outdoor pool has unfortunately had to be closed due to legislation that means it is now classed as too deep to be left un manned. We are hoping to refurbish the pool to get it back in line with requirements, hopefully by next year.

As a privately owned hotel refurbishment work is carried out as and when business allows, and as you can imagine, it’s a bit like painting the Forth Bridge.

I was relieved to hear that you enjoyed our food and I do hope that you might consider giving us another try in the future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We live nearby, and decided to have our wedding anniversary dinner at the hotel. We ate early, so as to include our 9-year-old daughter.

The service was friendly and attentive, and the food was superb. Our daughter went for chicken nuggets from the extensive children's menu. My wife and I opted for fish options: smoked salmon and prawns, and scallops with bacon as starters; cod with risotto, and pan-fried sea bass as main courses. The fishy theme continued with a smoked trout amuse, which was delicious, and this set the scene for what was to follow. All the food was beautifully presented, and subtly flavoured. I finished with a yummy raspberry cheesecake.

All in all, it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Very highly recommended!

Stayed: June 2014
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a lovely review. I am very pleased to hear you had a wonderful evening with your family celebrating your wedding anniversary. It is great to you and your wife enjoyed our fish dishes, our chef always takes pride in his cooking.
Thank you for highly recommending Passford House Hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My boyfriend booked a surprise night away and chose this hotel. We arrived about 6 in the evening and greeted by a very friendly receptionist. We had a superior double room and it was lovely. Nice and spacious, with perhaps slightly creaky floorboards in the bathroom not enough to keep anyone awake! A lovely comfortable bed too. We dined out but ordered breakfast which was delivered to our room in the morning. It was nice unfortunately not as we ordered exactly but still tasty. We explored the grounds in the morning and were impressed. So pretty and well looked after. In the whole an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

I am pleased you had a lovely stay. I am glad you had time to enjoy our lovely gardens and I am even more pleased you were impressed with what they had to offer.
Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lymington
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to Passford House? Share your experiences!