“Beautiful stay”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful stay”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I booked the Passford House Hotel at late notice for a short break to the New Forest, after our original holiday plans were cancelled. I had been recommended the hotel by a work friend and it did not disappoint! We had a superior room which was lovely, great view over the grounds (although I doubt that a bad view exists, it is in a truly beautiful spot) and an even better bed and bathroom. Some of the corridors could probably do with a bit of a spruce up, decoration-wise, but the building is charming. The food was absolutely outstanding at both dinner and breakfast, and the staff were really helpful and accommodating. Only thing I would say is that you should expect the average age of the clientele to be up at around the 60 mark - we are in our 30s and definitely the youngest there by quite some margin!

Room Tip: I didn't have experience of the standard rooms but the superior room really was worth the money.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FleaMann
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed here for a Christmas break. We took our dog and when we arrived they took us to our room situated around a courtyard. It seemed that everyone with a dog were in this area.A beautiful location for walking the dog.
Our room was brilliant and we had chocolates to welcome us , a lovely touch.The meals were excellent and every night we had crackers and balloons on the table which was fun. The staff were always helpful and cheery and willing to help in any way. The hotel had a lovely Christmassy feel with lots of tasteful decorations.
We would certainly recommend this hotel to everyone for a wonderful Christmas .

Room Tip: Because we had dog, nor sure what other rooms were like.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us over the festive season last year.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that we might have the pleasure of welcoming you, and your four legged friend back to the hotel again, maybe for Christmas this year.
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have recently stayed for 5 nights with my elderly parents, they had a superior room which was lovely, with access into the courtyard. I was in a single room which for the time spent in it was fine although i wish i'd asked for a quilt as sheets and blankets are a little dated these days! The staff especially on Reception were very helpful and couldn't do enough for you. I agree with another reviewer about the foreign staff in the restaurant, a few were friendly but there English wasn't quite good enough when it came to asking them anything i.e poached egg had to be repeated 3 times and also when we queried what a certain dish consisted of they hadn't a clue what we were talking about! The food was very good except for the choice, for the 5 days we were there the main menu didn't change and it had only 5 choices of mains on it so if you were there for a couple of nights fair enough but we had trouble finding something that we liked other than having the same thing over again. They do have a special on each night but whilst we were there it seemed to be a different salmon dish each night!! The gardens are lovely but some of the wooden furniture is in need of replacing, wobbly arms!
We would definitely go back though despite these little niggles.

Room Tip: Superior if available
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KarenW17
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

Our A la Carte menu has only been introduced recently, so you have highlighted a teething problem with this with regards to the amount of choices for guests on longer stays. We do offer daily specials and our chef would be more than happy to cater to individual requests, but this is something that I will bring up with him.

My apologies with regards to the limited spoken/understood English with some staff in our Restaurant team, this was something that was highlighted on their arrival at the hotel from our European recruitment agency, and something that will be dealt with.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We discovered this place when booking a stopover after sailing in Lymington last year and absolutely loved it, so much so that we did it all again this last weekend.

We stayed both times in four poster rooms (110 &114), both being at the rear of the Hotel overlooking the beautiful, well kept gardens. The rooms and Hotel are luxurious and spotlessly clean. Yes, as other reviews have stated, there is carpet in the huge bathrooms but again, all very clean.

Our experience of staff is that they were friendly and helpful. The bar stays open all night and getting drinks was not a problem. Breakfast didn't disappoint with a great choice of cooked, Continental, fresh fruit or cereal ... You won't be needing lunch! On both stays we have checked out and then taken advantage of the stunning gardens, taking silver service tea on the lawns before a stroll around those gardens. This is about as relaxing as it gets!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, 21 July 2014

We look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit!
New Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is a tale of two halves. The Venue itself and the service given.
The Venue:
Superb, in a word. The gardens were lovely and very well maintained. Lots of flowers and borders and very colourful. Several staff were employed to to 'dead head' where necessary and were hard at work the whole time we were there. (three nights) Such a shame that it was marred by weed filled gravel paths. It just took the edge off the overall picture.
The house itself was full of character. A wonderful atmosphere, clean and full of oak panelled rooms with subdued lighting in the evening. Very cosy. Our bedroom was large (superior) and airy with probably the largest bed I have ever slept in. Comfortable too. Finding my wife in it was a problem. Had to put the light on :-).
The bathroom was huge, with well lit mirrors, a his and hers wash stands, a very large shower cubicle and you stepped up to the high mounted luxury bath. Hard to fault, except the whole of the floor was carpeted. The experience was marred, when at 2am on our second night, the fire alarms went off. "DON'T PANIC MR MANWARING!" Luckily it was a false alarm. I didn't fancy standing naked at some assembly point.

Now the not so good bit. The service!!!!!!
Oh dear. Here, there was evidence of penny pinching on a large scale. Untrained staff from Hungary whose English was as poor as you can imagine. Communication was a chore. There was never anyone behind the bar, we were served flat lager, four times! and it was only when I suggested they checked the gas that things were done. We were still served flat lager, so we gave up. Not a clue. The bar people couldn't even get it right as to which drinks we wanted ice in. We even ended up with an extra short that we never ordered, one evening.
The restaurant, like the rest of the house was clean and well laid out, but once again the service was friendly but stilted. One night we got dishes we hadn't ordered. That was soon sorted though. Wine was brought to the table already opened and they weren't cheap either.
By the last day, things had improved a little. Our breakfast was heavily patrolled by English management. Having said all this, the food was very good and tasty if a little 'nouveau'.
My last complaint was the bill and the way it was laid out. Nothing was itemised, so in the case of drinks for instance, it was just put down as BAR. One didn't know how the bill was made up. They could have stuck anything on it. Not good.
Would I go again? No. Bad staffing front of shop and poor billing. If that changed, I could be persuaded.

Room Tip: Go for the Superior rooms if your budget allows. Our friends 4 poster was rather disappointing in co...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BigglesMGR
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I was disappointed to read the later part of your review on your recent stay with us.

Please accept my apologies with regards to the disturbance in the night with the fire alarm going off, but I’m sure you’d agree that it is better we have over sensitive smoke sensors than the opposite!

We currently have our new staff starting for the busy season ahead, so apologies again if they were not up to standard, I can assure you that staff training is an important part of our induction process.

The problem with the lager was not actually due to the gas, further investigation proved that it was down to the warm weather and the barrel not being kept cool enough, there wasn’t an obvious solution at the time.

With regards to the manning of the bar, there is a member of staff on duty who is trained to work on the bar at all times, but during quieter times they do have other responsibilities too. The bar is monitored by CCTV so it can be spotted when service is required.

We do have copies of all the dockets from guests’ orders in the bar and restaurant for reference should they be required if guests want to query their bill.

I do hope you will consider giving us another chance in the future.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed for two nights in June 2014 and ate in the restaurant both nights. Food very good. Room very good indeed with lovely view overlooking the central courtyard. Walked in the grounds on both nights, which look a bit in need of care - there are a lot of grounds! Staff were excellent. Would e go again - yes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steven F
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a complimentary review on your recent stay with us.

We are aware that the gardens are in need of a bit of extra TLC (the wet winter has sparked of extra growth this year!) We are making the effort to get this back up to scratch again.

I do hope that we'll have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Stamford UK
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My in laws stayed at Passford House last year, and chose it as the venue for my father in law's recent 80th birthday dinner.

19 of us stayed at the hotel, and we were so well looked after. We had a private dining room along with an ante room, and were given a very broad menu selection which I had not been expecting as we were a larger party. The courses were beautifully served, and there was not too much on the plate, although a few extra vegetables would have been a bonus! The staff were always available without being obvious, and were very professional.

At breakfast the following morning, a large table had been prepared for us so that we could sit together. The buffet was fresh and extensive, and even though there were a lot of guests eating, there was no sense of rush or of waiting for service.

We had a room overlooking the courtyard - it was extremely comfortable and vast, as was the bathroom! We had tea and coffee making facilities, bottled water and Gilchrist and Soames bath products (one of my favourites!) When we arrived, we could not open the windows as there were some bees swarming, so the room was pretty stuffy that evening!

Unfortunately, I did not make the most of the grounds, although the family tell me it is beautiful.

We had to print plane boarding passes from the hotel, and the staff were more than accommodating in this.

One little niggle was the speed (or lack of) with the internet. Not a big problem as the hotel is meant to be a tranquil haven, but a bit frustrating on checking in for the flights!

As the weather was so good, and we were with extended family we did not need the numerous games and activities provided in the lounge areas, but it appeared that everything had been thought of.

I can definitely say we had a very good experience at Passford House, and I would go there again.

Room Tip: We had a delightful room over the courtyard, although it overlooks several other windows so remember...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Louise C
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your recent family weekend at Passford House.

I am delighted to hear that you all enjoyed your time with us. Please accept my apologies with regards to the poor internet connection. This is a common problem throughout the New Forest and something that the local council is looking into improving, and hopefully keep us online and inline with our city counterparts.

I do hope that we might have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, maybe for you father in law's 81st Birthday!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,569 reviews
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to Passford House? Share your experiences!