“Friendly and scrummy”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2011

My grandfather suffered a stroke several years ago and unfortunately now has severely reduced mobility. I decided for my birthday that I would like to go out for a meal (lunch) with my grandparents not only to see them (as I work so much I don't see them so often) but to treat them to a very rare trip out that wasn't in an ambulance. We chose the Walhampton Arms as it wasn't far from their flat in the centre of Lymington, and was out enough in the forest to see some greenery. I was delighted to find when we got there that there was designated Disabled parking and a wheelchair ramp making it accessible to my Grandfather, and upon approaching member of staff immediately ran over to help us wheel my grandfather inside. A suitable table was found immediately for us so that he did not need to get out of his chair. Throughout the duration of our visit, the staff were attentive and helpful. My mother, my Nana and I chose from the menu whilst my Grandfather opted for the daily carvery. I personally had the BBQ ribs, which was a very large portion and good value for money. They were extremely tender and fell straight off the bone. My Nana and Mother had the fish pie which they really liked, though commented that it could have perhaps had a wider variety of fish as contained mainly salmon. My Grandfather thoroughly enjoyed his carvery and he had a bit of turkey and beef. The beef he did unfortunately find dry and tough, but the turkey was extremely moist and I think if we had allowed him to ask for more he probably would have done! It was also nice to see that the pub was dog friendly; I could see this as being a problem for people who don't like dogs, but being previous dog owners we were more than happy to watch the resident spaniel quietly lay and watch everyone come and go.

Overall, a thoroughly good meal (slightly pricier than what I am used to but expected for Lymington), great service and a lovely atmosphere for a weekday afternoon. Well recommended.

1  Thank Jessabelle

Reviewed 24 January 2011

The first thing that stuck me was the smell. A genuinely unpleasant aroma of food that had been sitting around for too long. The menu is dull and lacks imagination. It seems to be aimed at coach parties. The carvery is what you'd expect but the food doesn't look or taste as good as it could. All a bit tired. Cheap, yes. Would I return, no.

4  Thank MarkLanigan
Reviewed 15 November 2010

We were recommended this place for a large family group on a Sunday lunchtime (I subsequently heard it used to be good but has changed hands).
The (large) car park was full, and the building is attractive, so we arrived with high hopes. We were greeted warmly and shown to our table. Then it all went downhill.
They were obviously short staffed, so it took ages to get a waitress to take our drinks order. The drinks then took about twenty minutes to arrive.
We then queued for the carvery. Despite the restaurant being full, there was only one person carving, and we had to wait about fifteen minutes. The chap serving was very jovial with me, but when I got back to the table I was told that he had been very rude to my teenage daughter. The food was not worth the wait. The roasts were very dried up, and the beef was so tough it was inedible.
Most of us didn't bother with puddings. The display of gateaux looked very uninviting, and the menu looked uninspiring. Two people had ice cream sundaes. The ice cream was very good, but it was covered in two inches of aerosol cream.
All in all, a really poor meal.

3  Thank Travelbag66